• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

people wonder why I carry.......

smo

imported post

Seriously, what is wrong with people? That's just nuts, but yes, a great example of why we carry. Let's just hope no one (no innocents, that is) get hurt. What kind of sad attempt at earning money is that, anyway???:?

VApatriot

imported post

That is totally crazy!

Have the police made any suggestions of things that citizens can do? Like. . .

1. Help pony up the money. or. . .

2. Lock yourself in your house for the rest of your life. or. . .

3. Uh. . . get a gun for personal protection.

phillyb

imported post

I have had a few friends question it. None really seem to oppose it, but its my choice. I havent told many, only my very closest friends. I think of it like the seatbelt arguement. When I drive, I have control over what happens, still wear my seltbelt. When someone else drives I have no control over what happens, and I still wear my seatbelt. I think of carry as the second seatbelt situation, I have no control over whats goin to happen, but if I am carrying I might have a better chance of making it out alive. If you wreck you will have to answer to everyone, including the police, if you get into a shooting you will have to answer to yourself and everyone else, especially the police.

I conceal carry, I dont think it would go over so well open carry.

gunnersmatevls

imported post

no the police are refusing to release any other details, my friends are laughing it off, saying nothin will happen, but I was in maryland when the DC sniper shootings started so I tend to take it a little bit more seriously.

smo

imported post

gunnersmatevls wrote:
no the police are refusing to release any other details, my friends are laughing it off, saying nothin will happen, but I was in maryland when the DC sniper shootings started so I tend to take it a little bit more seriously.

My guess is nothing will happen. However, I also think one would be foolish not to take a death threat of any type seriously. Doesn't mean you have to be super paranoid and walk around in full body armor, just raise your awareness a little, maybe make a few minor lifestyle changes to decrease your risk until the threat subsides.

Life is too short to live in fear all the time, but it's also too short to be unprepared....

gunnersmatevls

imported post

Well today is the deadline that the perp gave the city to pay, $500,000it'll be interesting to see if people start getting hit. (Naturally the city isnt paying)

presbyreformed

imported post

gunnersmatevls wrote:
Well today is the deadline that the perp gave the city to pay, $500,000it'll be interesting to see if people start getting hit. (Naturally the city isnt paying)

Keep us "posted" :D

I'll pray for the citizens of that city.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Did you ever notice when a family has a member being held for ransom the police say to pay, but when the city government is told to pay or citizens will be killed, its we don't negotiate with terrorists?

robbiev427

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
That is totally crazy!

Have the police made any suggestions of things that citizens can do? Like. . .

1. Help pony up the money. or. . .

2. Lock yourself in your house for the rest of your life. or. . .

3. Uh. . . get a gun for personal protection.
Usually, the police suggest, "Do everything they tell you and they won't hurt you."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Usually, the police suggest, "Do everything they tell you and they won't hurt you."

Ya, right. How about when the perp tells your wife or daughter to lay down and be quiet or give me all your money and I wont shoot you - and you have no money. More to the point are you going to trust the person(s) to not harm you when by word or deed they have just threatened to do just that!

robbiev427

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Ya, right. How about when the perp tells your wife or daughter to lay down and be quiet or give me all your money and I wont shoot you - and you have no money. More to the point are you going to trust the person(s) to not harm you when by word or deed they have just threatened to do just that!

No, I absolutely would not trust a criminal.

I was merely pointing out that's what the police tend to say. I wasn't implying that it was what anyone should do. I should have been a little clearer in what I meant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I too was responding to the remarks made by some policemen. Nothing personal directed at you.:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Phillyb 9/18 post. Open carry in Va. is legal and makes a strong political statement. Either way you carry check out the VCDL site following for great info: http://www.vcdl.org/ the best $15.00 membership in this world! :)
Yata hey

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

I had a lady ask me recently why I had to carry a gun. My response to her was, "because I can't throw a rock 1200 feet per second." I have never heard a word from her again.