Thread: Carry on school grounds

Post imported post

I know the law says we can go to the parking lot and drop off circle as long as we remain in our vehicle. How does this apply to a motorcycle? You are not exactly inside anything, but on it and out in the open. I recently started riding a motorcycle and the thought just came to me.

Post imported post

I think I answered your question here, but it might help someone else if I repost the info on this thread:

TEX1N wrote:
    The code you are looking for is §18.2-308.1

The provisions of this section shall not apply to…(vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.
    I hope that helps.
    After searching the Code of VA for a little while, it looks like they define a motor vehicle and a motorcycle as two different things. Let me know if you are able to find anything to the contrary.

Post imported post

TEX1N wrote:
    After searching the Code of VA for a little while, it looks like they define a motor vehicle and a motorcycle as two different things. Let me know if you are able to find anything to the contrary.
    I'll bet that there isn't that distinction in the law when it comes to the ordinance that says you may not hunt with the aid of a motor vehicle.

Post imported post

It's interesting to note that the first part says "in or upon a motor vehicle", while the line dealing with schools just lists "while in a motor vehicle", which you normally aren't while operating a cycle. So is it poorly written, or intentionally excluding motorcycles, which it would seem to be doing?