• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Postal Match

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I know this really doesn't belong here (we need an off topic forum) but I was wondering if there is any interest in a postal match for fun?

longwatch

imported post

A postal match is like a just a regular shooting match except it uses the honor system. Basically using rules posted online (weapon types, ranges, and targets) the competetors go to their local ranges and then mail or email their targets back to the judge.

longwatch

imported post

A match could be like this:
Target: http://www.targetz.com/targetz-lib/20027.pdf
Range: 7 yards
Weapon: Your regular open carry weapon (rimfire or centerfire handgun)
Rules: Shooter may fire up to 15 rounds to hit as many light bulbs as possible. If the hole breaks the black it counts as a hit. Multiple hits on a bulb will only count as one hit. Only one bulb may be broken by a hit. Submit scan of target to x@email.com for judging by Oct 1 2006.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

That does sound like fun ... count me in too!

Arizona-Texan

robbiev427

imported post

Heck...I typed a long reply and then had a computer problem.

I'd be interested...

I tried to do this one time before but didn't because of complications (long story, but unrelated to shooting).

I would also be interested in running or participating in a "practical" postal match, such as IDPA (merely as an example, it could be any discipline, or we could decide on our own rules for scoring, penalties, and target type).

This is what I wanted to do one time before:

1. Pick 8 or 10 stages of fire, keeping them relatively simple so it won't be a problem to duplicate them exactly at each club.

2. Have someone draw up the stages with complete descriptions, including target type, height, and distance, and submit the stages to the person at each range in charge of the match.

3. Allow a time limit for shooting the stages and submitting the scores, either a few weeks, or maybe even a couple of months, since many ranges only shoot once a month.

4. Post the results on a web page (I'd be willing to post them on my page).

longwatch

imported post

For now I'd say keeping it simple would be best. Postal matches seem to work best the easier they are. At least the ones I have seen that successful are.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My Wife and I would be interested as long as we don't have to use a public range. We have a private range on our property since it's not easy to go to a public range with having a child around. Having our own range is nice so we can take turns with watching the baby and target shooting.

longwatch

imported post

Well it seems that there is enough interest to run a postal match. I can run it if no else minds. If there are no objections I will make an announcement on the conditions and rules in the next 24 hours or so.