Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How big can you carry open?

Post imported post

I normaly carry concealed. Except in the certain areas. How big of a gun can you carry open with out getting in trouble? Would I get thrown in jail for carrying a M-4? Not that I would be heard of guys open carrying out west M-1 Garands. With no problems.
    Thanks

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I know that there are several AR-15 pistols out there on the market. I haven't seen a holster for any of them yet, but hey, I might get one if I could find it.

About three years ago I was in Washington State and was driving down Interstate 5 through Olympia, so I decided to stop off at Olympic Arms and talk to them about my two Olys and how much I like them. I saw and held an OA-98 and talked to the salesman about it, and he told me about an Army chaplain who carried one in a custom thigh rig in Iraq. I'd love to see a picture of that!

Post imported post

One of the instructors I've taken a class from often carries a large stainless hunting revolver with something like a 16" barrel. Pretty impressive.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    One of the instructors I've taken a class from often carries a large stainless hunting revolver with something like a 16" barrel. Pretty impressive.
    16" :what: Talk about a hand cannon !

ProguninTN

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Longs guns are kinda tricky, because they may be covered by locally enacted hunting statutes. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ordinances.asp. Then there is also the urban area loaded "assault weapon" ban, but if you have a permit you are exempt from that one.

Post imported post

Went to that link and it was broken.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ordinances.asp

The forum software included the period at the end of the sentence as part of the URL. Sometimes proper punction bites.
    ---

Post imported post

Do any of you think that my carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel would cause any more consternation among the sheep than if I was carrying my smaller XD? I have yet to carry OC so I'm interested to hear if any of you have experiences carrying big powerful handguns (although I thought I saw where someone was carrying a .454 Casul...that's big!).

Post imported post

My rule of thumb is that if you have to actively carry it (or even touch it), it could be sold as brandishing. So, carrying an M4, even on a sling would break my rule. Of course, that's my rule, and is completely unrelated to the law.

My carry weapons are a Springfield 1911 .45, an H&K compact .45, and a S&W J frame (model 60) revolver. Any one of those weapons may be found on the belt of someone who is carrying because of his job. Therefore, that's what people are used to seeing, and they should be less alarmed. I usually CC, but have yet to receive a comment from a single person about my OC weapon.

My right is my right, and this is the way that I choose to exercise it.

I may take a rifle into a convenience store if I were on my way back from hunting and I didn't want to leave it in an open vehicle, like a Jeep. That's about it though.

The one that I haven't tried yet is my .44 mag in a western style holster. We'll see about that. That's not very ergonomic (unless you're standing up)or practical, so I don't see much point to it. When I was a kid traveling through Idaho I saw something like that ONCE.

Post imported post

Do any of you think that my carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel would cause any more consternation among the sheep than if I was carrying my smaller XD?
    I'm sure this has been repeated at least 100 times on this board, but 99% of the sheep won't notice. They walk around in Condition White (or even worse: Condition Clueless). Just breaking up the outline with your arm increases concealability by 900,000%...never mind if you have a dark shirt on with a dark colored gun.

Either way, if there is any whining or snivelling, all the property owners can do is ask you to leave.

Regarding size: The definition of a handgun is defined within the statute:

Code 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry. (defines CCW licenses, etc and seems most appropriate to your question)

[snip]

M. "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.

Post imported post

I've considered carrying my Wildey "Hunter" chambered for .475 WIldey Magnum with a 10" barrel, but don't think I could do so for long... it weighs more than 3 lbs, loaded.

Post imported post

About six months ago I tried carrying my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 with a 10 inch barrel (around the neighborhood) in the nylon belt holster sold by MR for it just to see if it could be done comfortably. It was very heavy and awkward. When I tried to take it out of the holster (in the house), it took 2 hands, the grip came up almostto my armpit. I decided drawing it from the holster for kind of defensive use was impractical and virtually useless due to its weight and barrel-length. I haven't carried it since.

Post imported post

As near as I can see, one of the main factors against using a really large piece for carry is that it will probably (for most people) take longer to bring it into action in a SHTF situation. Every second counts.

Post imported post

Get and watch "Die Less Often" by Gabe Suarez (onesourcetactical.com).

Speed, as well as dynamic movement, is key to avoid getting hit (or mutual destruction).

Post imported post

Well, I don't hear many of you addressing my specific question on whether or not carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel in a standard belt holster would cause any more concern on the part of the general public than a less obtrusive smaller gun.

I appreciate the comments on how most of the general public has such little situational awareness that most will not even notice.

I'll keep carrying my XD to get accustomed to OC, and then I'll try the big Ruger to see if reactions differ. I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Thanks

Post imported post

The law as defined allows you to carry the revolver with 6" barrel, as shown in a previous post.

I doubt it will really matter considering I walked around with a G21 in a pancake holster and a G19 centerline. *Maybe* two people noticed.

Perhaps you'll attract a bit more attention if you wear clothes that are a direct contrast with the finish on your revolver. But, in general, most people look straight ahead and down while walking.

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    The law as defined allows you to carry the revolver with 6" barrel, as shown in a previous post.

I doubt it will really matter considering I walked around with a G21 in a pancake holster and a G19 centerline. *Maybe* two people noticed.

Perhaps you'll attract a bit more attention if you wear clothes that are a direct contrast with the finish on your revolver. But, in general, most people look straight ahead and down while walking.
    A double gun-slinger, eh! I guess my one 1 revolver won't be so bad...

Thanks

Post imported post

Do you have a S&W X-frame? Those are big honkin' revos!!!

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    Do you have a S&W X-frame? Those are big honkin' revos!!!
    No, it's a Ruger Security-six .357 Mag with a 6" bbl. It is one nice great shooting revolver. I killed a deer with it at 60 yards about 10 years ago. For many years this guy was king of the hill before the .44 came along. I love the .357 Mag round, it is more than enough for any game found in VA, including the 2 legged kind!

Problem is, the thing is just too danged hard to carry comfortably, and forget about finding a concealable holster for it, short of a shoulder rig.

Post imported post

I saw a S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun 4" barrel in 41 Magnum the other day. It is blued and has really nice grips. I'm seriously considering getting it for carry

Post imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
    I saw a S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun 4" barrel in 41 Magnum the other day. It is blued and has really nice grips. I'm seriously considering getting it for carry
    Yeah, but pay attention to how heavy it is. I am considering my big Ruger foroc only because I don't have a good holster for my XD yet. My Ruger is much too heavy for constant carry. You may find the Model 57 a poor choice for a gun that can be carried both oc and cc.

Post imported post

I own a model 57 4" -- Bought if from a LEO who carried it for seven years and decided to sell it when he found out he would have to pay for all his own ammo for qualification. I opened the cylinder and noticed four burn marks on the six charge holes!! He had carried it for seven years and fired it four times! My gain! that is the sweetest gun I own. I OC with it in Northern WI. You would not be disappointed with the model 57.

Post imported post

What is the recoil like on defensive JHP rounds? I shoot 9mm, 45 ACP, and 38 Special regularly and had a 44 magnum (Smith mountain gun with 4" barrel). How does 41 magnum feel of the M57 as compared to the above?

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I wonder if this would be too big to carry. Here it is with some of the optional accessories:

Post imported post

The 57's percieved recoil using full loads is milder than the 44 by about 1/4. My Glock 21 seems to bite almost as much as the .41, but I beleive this is a matter of perception. The Glock has a much sharper ( energy expended in a shorter time) as opposed to the .41 which seems to spread out the force over a longer period. I hope I put that in terms that gets my point across.

As for to heavy to carry OC, by itself, not at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast