• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How big can you carry open?

Browning.40

imported post

I normaly carry concealed. Except in the certain areas. How big of a gun can you carry open with out getting in trouble? Would I get thrown in jail for carrying a M-4? Not that I would be heard of guys open carrying out west M-1 Garands. With no problems.
Thanks

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I know that there are several AR-15 pistols out there on the market. I haven't seen a holster for any of them yet, but hey, I might get one if I could find it.

About three years ago I was in Washington State and was driving down Interstate 5 through Olympia, so I decided to stop off at Olympic Arms and talk to them about my two Olys and how much I like them. I saw and held an OA-98 and talked to the salesman about it, and he told me about an Army chaplain who carried one in a custom thigh rig in Iraq. I'd love to see a picture of that!

ProguninTN

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
One of the instructors I've taken a class from often carries a large stainless hunting revolver with something like a 16" barrel. Pretty impressive.

16" :what: Talk about a hand cannon ! :lol:

ProguninTN

presbyreformed

imported post

Do any of you think that my carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel would cause any more consternation among the sheep than if I was carrying my smaller XD? I have yet to carry OC so I'm interested to hear if any of you have experiences carrying big powerful handguns (although I thought I saw where someone was carrying a .454 Casul...that's big!).

ryanmerrell

imported post

My rule of thumb is that if you have to actively carry it (or even touch it), it could be sold as brandishing. So, carrying an M4, even on a sling would break my rule. Of course, that's my rule, and is completely unrelated to the law.

My carry weapons are a Springfield 1911 .45, an H&K compact .45, and a S&W J frame (model 60) revolver. Any one of those weapons may be found on the belt of someone who is carrying because of his job. Therefore, that's what people are used to seeing, and they should be less alarmed. I usually CC, but have yet to receive a comment from a single person about my OC weapon.

My right is my right, and this is the way that I choose to exercise it.

I may take a rifle into a convenience store if I were on my way back from hunting and I didn't want to leave it in an open vehicle, like a Jeep. That's about it though.

The one that I haven't tried yet is my .44 mag in a western style holster. We'll see about that. That's not very ergonomic (unless you're standing up)or practical, so I don't see much point to it. When I was a kid traveling through Idaho I saw something like that ONCE.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Do any of you think that my carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel would cause any more consternation among the sheep than if I was carrying my smaller XD?

I'm sure this has been repeated at least 100 times on this board, but 99% of the sheep won't notice. They walk around in Condition White (or even worse: Condition Clueless). Just breaking up the outline with your arm increases concealability by 900,000%...never mind if you have a dark shirt on with a dark colored gun.

Either way, if there is any whining or snivelling, all the property owners can do is ask you to leave.

Regarding size: The definition of a handgun is defined within the statute:

Code 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry. (defines CCW licenses, etc and seems most appropriate to your question)

[snip]

M. "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.

pieceKeeper

imported post

I've considered carrying my Wildey "Hunter" chambered for .475 WIldey Magnum with a 10" barrel, but don't think I could do so for long... it weighs more than 3 lbs, loaded.

Tricorn

imported post

About six months ago I tried carrying my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 with a 10 inch barrel (around the neighborhood) in the nylon belt holster sold by MR for it just to see if it could be done comfortably. It was very heavy and awkward. When I tried to take it out of the holster (in the house), it took 2 hands, the grip came up almostto my armpit. I decided drawing it from the holster for kind of defensive use was impractical and virtually useless due to its weight and barrel-length. I haven't carried it since.

zoom6zoom

imported post

As near as I can see, one of the main factors against using a really large piece for carry is that it will probably (for most people) take longer to bring it into action in a SHTF situation. Every second counts.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Get and watch "Die Less Often" by Gabe Suarez (onesourcetactical.com).

Speed, as well as dynamic movement, is key to avoid getting hit (or mutual destruction).

presbyreformed

imported post

Well, I don't hear many of you addressing my specific question on whether or not carrying a big revolver with a 6" barrel in a standard belt holster would cause any more concern on the part of the general public than a less obtrusive smaller gun.

I appreciate the comments on how most of the general public has such little situational awareness that most will not even notice.

I'll keep carrying my XD to get accustomed to OC, and then I'll try the big Ruger to see if reactions differ. I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Thanks

cREbralFIX

imported post

The law as defined allows you to carry the revolver with 6" barrel, as shown in a previous post.

I doubt it will really matter considering I walked around with a G21 in a pancake holster and a G19 centerline. *Maybe* two people noticed.

Perhaps you'll attract a bit more attention if you wear clothes that are a direct contrast with the finish on your revolver. But, in general, most people look straight ahead and down while walking.

presbyreformed

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
The law as defined allows you to carry the revolver with 6" barrel, as shown in a previous post.

I doubt it will really matter considering I walked around with a G21 in a pancake holster and a G19 centerline. *Maybe* two people noticed.

Perhaps you'll attract a bit more attention if you wear clothes that are a direct contrast with the finish on your revolver. But, in general, most people look straight ahead and down while walking.

A double gun-slinger, eh!:D I guess my one 1 revolver won't be so bad...

Thanks

presbyreformed

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
Do you have a S&W X-frame? Those are big honkin' revos!!!

No, it's a Ruger Security-six .357 Mag with a 6" bbl. It is one nice great shooting revolver. I killed a deer with it at 60 yards about 10 years ago. For many years this guy was king of the hill before the .44 came along. I love the .357 Mag round, it is more than enough for any game found in VA, including the 2 legged kind!

Problem is, the thing is just too danged hard to carry comfortably, and forget about finding a concealable holster for it, short of a shoulder rig.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I saw a S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun 4" barrel in 41 Magnum the other day. It is blued and has really nice grips. I'm seriously considering getting it for carry :)