• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FIREARMS LAW & THE SECOND AMENDMENT SYMPOSIUM

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

[align=center]
SECOND ANNUAL
“FIREARMS LAW & THE SECOND AMENDMENT SYMPOSIUM”
TO EXPLORE PRESENT DAY APPLICATION
OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT
[/align] The 2006 “Firearms Law & The Second Amendment Symposium” will be held on Saturday, October 7, at George Mason University School of Law, in Arlington, Va. This event is hosted by Law Students for the Second Amendment at GMU, along with The NRA Foundation and NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. Admission is free.
Capitalizing on the success of last year’s inaugural event, which brought together some of the nation’s sharpest legal minds and more than 100 attendees, this year’s symposium promises to be even better! Panelists will discuss and debate: current Second Amendment scholarship, litigation against the firearm industry, the U.N.’s intrusion into legal domestic gun ownership, and issues involving self-defense and Right-to-Carry reforms. Featured panelists at this year’s event will include some of the country’s most renowned experts on the Second Amendment and related issues, such as: George Mason’s own Professors Nelson Lund and Joyce Lee Malcolm; George Washington University’s Professors Robert Cottrol and Renee Lerner; Lawrence Keane of the National Shooting Sports Foundation; attorney Richard Gardiner; David Kopel of the Independence Institute; Attorney and author David Hardy; and Professor Brian Patrick from the University of Toledo.
This event promises to present a thought provoking discussion of what has become the most controversial freedom in the Bill of Rights. Each Symposium registrant will receive a packet that contains the panelists’ written materials on the subject--an excellent source for future reference. For guests who are attorneys, this year’s event may once again meet state requirements for continuing legal education. The event, including all materials, food and beverages, is being held without charge.
Don't miss this seminal event! For additional details and to reserve your place, please visit http://www.nraila.org/workshops/Symposium.aspx?ID=GMUSL or call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

How many people will be open carrying??? :lol:

rabbit994

imported post

We were wondering that as well. It's on George Mason property so it's a university but most of us are not students but maybe they prevent carry at all.

We thought about going in CC and coming out OC.

VApatriot

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
We were wondering that as well. It's on George Mason property so it's a university but most of us are not students but maybe they prevent carry at all.

We thought about going in CC and coming out OC.
According to our AG's opinion they can not ban you from carrying, and since you are going for a specific event that is open to the public they should be able to ask you to leave or charge you with trespassing.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You might check the archives over at VCDL.org. I believe there is a fairly recent opinion by the AG indicating that State Universities have the authority to ban students and employees from carrying, but not the public. IANAL, etc.

TEX1N

imported post

I am not sure if I will be able to make it. I have family coming into town that weekend, and my schedule already looks pretty crazy.

I would probably not be carrying, just because I am a GMU student and can't risk expulsion. However, it would be good to see other OC'ing. Although if you do OC, I have a feeling that GMU will probably give you a hard time, at the very least.

Here is the letter from the Attorney General. The main problem is that the letter primarily covers CC. There is a sentence towards the end that states "The universal prohibition of firearms by properly permitted persons other than students, faculty, administration, or employees, however, is not allowed under law."

I believe that legally this would allow you to OC. But I still know the school, and I'm guessing they would still enjoy harassingyou. Hopefully we (with the help of the VCDL) can get this changed next year. BTW: IANAL!

darrel_h

imported post

quick question for you guys and gals, if i register for this symposium, what does that actually entail? i've never been to one of these things. can you register to go and just listen to the different speakers? you don't have to actually speak, right? if someone went last year and maybe knows a little more about this please let me know because i'm seriously thinking of going, i just need to know a little more about it, and i can't seem to find a whole lot online. thanks.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Its more or less like a university lecture, you won't be asked to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if they took questions from the audience.

darrel_h

imported post

great. thanks for the insight longwatch. i will definitely register and try to make it. is there still talk of trying to make this an "ocdo get together"? if so keep me posted. i've never been out to gmu so i don't really know my way around there and would definitely appreciate help in finding my way.