• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlottesville IHOP

NRA_Bear

imported post

I've been wearing NRA shirts to Old Dominion University for 3 years (I have about 15 of them) and have (surprisingly) yet to have an instructor or student comment negatively. Perhaps it's because I'm 300lbs. and look like I might beat the anti right out of someone :p. Maybe I need to make a trip up to UVA and VT to see if I can't spread the good word ;).

hirundo82

imported post

Yeah, I think I might need to make it a point to OC through as many universities as I can when I'm in Virginia. I have no affiliation with any of them, so my understanding is they can't do anything.

TEX1N

imported post

jackie treehorn wrote:
I imagine Charlottesville is even worse, but you'd think that an institution founded by Thomas Jefferson would be more pro-2A.
Welcome to OCDO!

I go to GMU, which was of course named after George Mason. And they are just as anti-gun as the rest of them. I would be willing to bet that JMU is not any better. It's just ridiculous.

NRA_Bear

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
Yeah, I think I might need to make it a point to OC through as many universities as I can when I'm in Virginia. I have no affiliation with any of them, so my understanding is they can't do anything.
Stay away from VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University), it's actually against the law to carry there. All the other publicuniversities only have rules in student/faculty handbooks.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I went to JMU both undergrad and for graduate school (then off to UCSB in California - I spent a long time in school!). JMU issomewhat better than some other colleges.JMU hasalready published a re-written policy that explicitly allows non-students who also don't work at the school to carry. A local (former police officer) sued the school in court over the anti-gun policy, but the judge threw out the suit when the JMU police chief testified that he and his officers knew that they couldn't enforce the schools policy against non-students/faculty/staff regardless of the policy - and this was before the Attorney Generals letter. The judge said the man couldn't prove harm since he had never been arrested or detained and the police chief said he never would be. The man was suing to overturn the previous written policy forbidding all weapons by anyone on campus.

I know the police chief. And I used to know him quite well. A very decent, honorable man born and bred in Virginia.

That's not to say others at the school are necesarrily happy that visitors can carry firearms, but the most that could happen is someone could call the police, who would respond (as they should), andmost likelyappropriately (if not, a quickmeeting with the chief wouldfix the problem). Lee Shifflett is his name...

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Still, I would like to see some folks test the new policy. I have carried concealed there several times (along with my best friend, also an alum) without a problem, but then again, no one knew I was carrying. Open carrying there is the next step... I may be there in a month or so, and will open carry....

vtme_grad98

imported post

NRA_Bear wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Stay away from VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University), it's actually against the law to carry there. All the other publicuniversities only have rules in student/faculty handbooks.
WTF?!?! How on earth do the policies for VCU become state law (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+8VAC90-10-50)? Every other state university has to settle for a little handbook that we non-students can ignore to our hearts content. What exactly makes VCU so special? I guess this is yet another reason to be glad I don't live anywhere near Richmond.