• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was asked about my pistol today

gsh341

imported post

Today I was working (I work on ATMs and carry cash frequently) and at my last stop I had just opened the vault when a guy approached. He said his friends were wondering why I had a gun. My response was "I carry cash." I said it just loud enough that his friends 15' away could hear me as well. He smiled and replied, "That's what I thought." then went back to his friends.

I didn't ask and he didn't say, but I think his friends were either from out of state or just non-gun types. But this guy seemed cool with it.

gsh341

imported post

It happened again. Three times on 9/28/06 someone asked about or commented on my XD-40! I was out working on ATMs again and here's what happened.

The first guy was delivering Coke products to the C-Store I was at. He walked in, said something to the clerk and then looked at me. At first he didn't notice, but then his eyes got HUGE and his voice got kinda funny. Well, I know what had him so out of sorts so I asked, "How're you doin' today?" He said,"I was doing just fine until I saw a gun and no badge!"

He had a mistaken assumption that OC was illegal, you had to have a FOID. you had to have a permit to carry a gun, you couldn't carry anywhere in Pierre, SD without a special permit, that the gun had to be unloaded, etc., etc. I just smiled and asked where he was from (sometimes these guys drive a long way for their route) and he informed me that he grew up in Pierre. Somewhat surprised, I asked him where he got this information. He said, "A friend of mine knows a bunch of the cops in town." I smiled nice and friendly and proceeded to educate him on the carry laws of South Dakota. I'm sure he will have some questions for his buddy later.

The second guy was the clerk at another c-store. He asked if anyone ever tried to steal any cash from the ATM while I was working on it. I said that "No-one has, but if they tried, they would have to be able to run faster than 1100fps!" :lol:He laughed and said"I didn't think anyone would mess with a man carrying a gun."

The last guy just said "Nice pistol!" and we chatted about guns for a minute.

All in all it was a very good OC day. Igot to help educate someone,got a laugh with another and had a friendly chat with a third guy.