• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colonel Jeff Cooper R.I.P.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I was very sorry to read of the Colonels passing yesterday. I think just about everyone who carries a pistol for self defense has been tangently affected by the work of Jeff Cooper and its safe to say his work has saved and will save lives for a long time to come.

Vaya con Dios Sir, Semper Fi.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper_(colonel)

John Dean "Jeff" Cooper (10 May 1920 - 25 September 2006 ) is recognized as the father of what is commonly known as "The Modern Technique" of handgun shooting, and considered by many to be the world's foremost expert on the use and history of small arms.
Born John Dean Cooper, but known to his friends as "Jeff", Cooper was a former Marine Lt. Colonel who served in World War 2 and in Southeast Asia during the Korean War. In addition to his expertise in firearms, he had been a history instructor, philosopher, adventurer, and author. He is also known as "the Guru."
In 1976 Cooper founded the American Pistol Institute (API, also known as "Gunsite") in northern Arizona to train law enforcement and military personnel, as well as law-abiding civilians. He sold the firm in 1989 but continued living on the ranch. He was well-known for his cogent and thoroughly researched advocacy of large caliber handguns for personal defense, especially the 1911 Colt.

TrueBrit

imported post

One of the last of the real heroes has passed, but let us be heartened by the fact that he lives on in his family and his many disciples. Rest easy, Sir.

TrueBrit.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Code:
Hail and farewell! We greet you here,
With tears that none will scorn
O Keepers of the House of old,
Or ever we were born!

One service more we dare to ask
Pray for us, hero, pray,
When Fate lays on us our task
We do not shame the Day!

Farewell soldier.  You will be remembered.