Thread: Open carry age limit?

Post imported post

Hi everyone, i've been looking for a definate answer to this question, and this seems like the place to ask. How old do you have to be to open carry? I know you have to be 21 for concealed, and 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo, but i understand that if you are 18 you can still posess and transport a handgun. I'd like to make sure that is true first off, but i would also like to know if I (19, almost 20) would be legally allowed to open carry. I live in Loudoun county if that makes a difference.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

You have to check each state's law - VA makes handgun posession unlawful, generally, below age 18. Some state's have a higher age requirement to possess/open carry.

See "VA Code" Title 18.2.

Post imported post

ndh87 wrote:
    Hi everyone, i've been looking for a definate answer to this question, and this seems like the place to ask. How old do you have to be to open carry? I know you have to be 21 for concealed, and 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo, but i understand that if you are 18 you can still posess and transport a handgun. I'd like to make sure that is true first off, but i would also like to know if I (19, almost 20) would be legally allowed to open carry. I live in Loudoun county if that makes a difference.
    As I understand it (and the standard disclaimer of "I am not a lawyer" applies), open carry is legal in VA for those 18 and above. The firearm will have to be purchased by a parent, etc who is over 21 and legally loaned or gifted to you.

Welcome to OpenCarry.Org

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:
    ndh87 wrote:
    As I understand it (and the standard disclaimer of "I am not a lawyer" applies), open carry is legal in VA for those 18 and above. The firearm will have to be purchased by a parent, etc who is over 21 and legally loaned or gifted to you.

Welcome to OpenCarry.Org
    My understanding of the law was that a family member could legally sellyou handgun if over the age of 18, making you thelegaland onlyowner.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

I think John meant a transfer thru a federal dealer - I believe a person 18-20 in VA could lawfully buy a handgun in a private sale from a another VA resident. This is the rule in most states.

But enough on tranfers - the question was open carry at 18 - yes you can - as the several <21 year olds found out after VCDL got the FFX Cty police to release them a while back after they were arrested for open carrying in an urban starbucks :shock:

Obviously, if you do not have a CHP, be careful to not conceal, even inside a vehicle.

And as I had perhaps too bluntly stated earlier in this thread, please get used to researchingthe laws yourself - this is not a flame for asking the question - just a reminder to be diligent in verifying the law yourself.