• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry age limit?

ndh87

imported post

Hi everyone, i've been looking for a definate answer to this question, and this seems like the place to ask. How old do you have to be to open carry? I know you have to be 21 for concealed, and 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo, but i understand that if you are 18 you can still posess and transport a handgun. I'd like to make sure that is true first off, but i would also like to know if I (19, almost 20) would be legally allowed to open carry. I live in Loudoun county if that makes a difference.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

You have to check each state's law - VA makes handgun posession unlawful, generally, below age 18. Some state's have a higher age requirement to possess/open carry.

See "VA Code" Title 18.2.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

ndh87 wrote:
Hi everyone, i've been looking for a definate answer to this question, and this seems like the place to ask. How old do you have to be to open carry? I know you have to be 21 for concealed, and 21 to buy a handgun or handgun ammo, but i understand that if you are 18 you can still posess and transport a handgun. I'd like to make sure that is true first off, but i would also like to know if I (19, almost 20) would be legally allowed to open carry. I live in Loudoun county if that makes a difference.
As I understand it (and the standard disclaimer of "I am not a lawyer" applies), open carry is legal in VA for those 18 and above. The firearm will have to be purchased by a parent, etc who is over 21 and legally loaned or gifted to you.

Welcome to OpenCarry.Org

VApatriot

imported post

jpierce wrote:
ndh87 wrote:
As I understand it (and the standard disclaimer of "I am not a lawyer" applies), open carry is legal in VA for those 18 and above. The firearm will have to be purchased by a parent, etc who is over 21 and legally loaned or gifted to you.

Welcome to OpenCarry.Org
My understanding of the law was that a family member could legally sellyou handgun if over the age of 18, making you thelegaland onlyowner.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think John meant a transfer thru a federal dealer - I believe a person 18-20 in VA could lawfully buy a handgun in a private sale from a another VA resident. This is the rule in most states.

But enough on tranfers - the question was open carry at 18 - yes you can - as the several <21 year olds found out after VCDL got the FFX Cty police to release them a while back after they were arrested for open carrying in an urban starbucks :shock:

Obviously, if you do not have a CHP, be careful to not conceal, even inside a vehicle.

And as I had perhaps too bluntly stated earlier in this thread, please get used to researchingthe laws yourself - this is not a flame for asking the question - just a reminder to be diligent in verifying the law yourself.