• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Approach at a gas station

ballester

imported post

hey guys i thought i would add something and see if i can get some feed back. on wed this week, i was at a gas station on Jeff davis highway by dupont. Well as i was pulling up to the pump i noticed two guys at the other side of the pump. well my creep meter went off and when i got out of the van i walked over to the sliding door on the passengerside, i jsut did it automaticlly and would you know it, as i did that one of the guys appreared behind me asking me if i had any money!!! well i calmly opened a duffel bag that i keep my pistol in when i cant have it in the front seat. well i dont know what he was think ing but i jsut gently pulle dth epistol out and holstered it on my side as he was asking me for money or a ride(the guy said he was from ny). well as he saw my gun he jsut said"whoa man" and started to back up. well i did not point at him only holstered it and firmly told him no and to take a hike. then i calmly went inside to pay for my gas and left. i dont feel i overreacted to this situation at all. i did not threaten him, but at the same time i did not know waht his plans were. I had the misses and my 2 week old daughter with me. did i overreact by getting my pistol first instead of talking to him????? :question::question:

molonlabetn

imported post

You did the right thing.

Kudos for your situational awareness, it gave you time to prepare for the worst. Thankfully the worst did not occur (possibly because of your actions)!

molonlabetn

ballester

imported post

thank you sir, i did not feel i was either, even the misses thought i did good. she first balked at me when i bought my handgun and said i jsut thought the whole world was out to get me, well now she wants to learn to shoot my .45 jsut incase and i am out pricing a nice .38spc for her. funny how it sometimes takes being proven right to get the wife/girlfriend/old nag to see things how they are. :D

Jersey Ron

imported post

ballester, trust me you did the right thing. Take it from a guy who was carjacked 12 years ago with my wife and 2 year old son in the back seat. The animal had a loaded 9mm right at my temple. My son just had his first HS football game last week. Everyone asked why I was crying when he scored his first touchdown. I'm sure you can understand why.

Jersey Ron

ballester

imported post

so many people worry about others feelings when it comes to somethings...well Jersey Ron did thatcreature have your best interest or your families in mind? no sir and i am glad it worked out for you. quite frankly now with my daughter i do not care if i have to insultsomeones mother to keep her safe. thank you to all for your thoughts. i know now i did the right thing and will not hesitate to do what it takes!!

reefteach

imported post

Always good to let non-permissive state residents experience open carry:cool:. I am no legal expert, but it seems to me that because you were merely transfering your weapon from one means of legal carry to another, there isn't a problem. Well done.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I would only add that you should have called the police. Drawing a gun without pointing it can still be considered brandishing. Criminals occassionally will call the cops themselves say some guy pointed a gun at me. Usually the cops will believe whoever calls first, so by calling the cops you are innoculating yourself against a brandishing charge. Also if these guys were going to do something, they need to be locked up, not allowed to go on their way to rob someone less prepared than you.

presbyreformed

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I would only add that you should have called the police. Drawing a gun without pointing it can still be considered brandishing. Criminals occassionally will call the cops themselves say some guy pointed a gun at me. Usually the cops will believe whoever calls first, so by calling the cops you are innoculating yourself against a brandishing charge. Also if these guys were going to do something, they need to be locked up, not allowed to go on their way to rob someone less prepared than you.
Probably good advice. I didn't think about that.

ballester

imported post

yeah you guys are were right..... but i did thought about telling the owners but they did not speak english very well, and i was just running on adrenlene after that and wanted to get out of the place as quick as possible. get this as i was leaving the parking lot, i saw a police officer with someone pulled over : less then 200 feet from where this happened!!!!! it jsut so happens a tractor trailer parked at the edge of the parking lot concealed the whole scene from view!!!!!! but all in all i should have called the police but my concern at the time was my familiy. that was also the very first time that anything like that has happened to me, i mean i have had people ask for money before but never trap me between my car and the open, and i did not have a gun the other times. so hopefully next time i will be more prepared. God willing there will never be a next time.

VApatriot

imported post

I'm very glad to hear that you (like most others who use guns for defence) didn't have to fire a single shot.Having tofire whileat a gas station could havebeen particularly dangerous.

It sounds like you kept a cool head, and handled the situation quite well.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

In my opinion, handling a firearm should be avoided generally in public areas, especially during complex er...social interactions - it is much better to be holstered up when you get out of the car to begin with.

I have twice had folks ask me for money at gas stations when I was openly carrying - the person usually notices as or just after they beg for $ - and they quickly decide to go the other way when I just say "No thanks."

In fact - to some extent, this is an advantage of open carry - deterence and no need to drawor expose your firearm, which present risks to all, including the gun owner who could be accusedof brandishing.

Of course, there are also downsides to open carry, and upsides to concealed carry.

ballester

imported post

Mike yes sir i agree with that, but circumstances prevented me from carrying holstered, i have been speaking with John about an issue with the court over me not haveing my permit. I was approved, but i have to wait untill a judge signs it, wich is b.s. because that means that it will have been close to 60 days to get my permit, which i thought was against the law....

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Well, you can still open carry without a concealed handgun permit.

But on the permit thing, you need to demand that the circuit court clerk "send" you a de facto permit right now - like Monday AM. 45 days after you apply, the Clerk must send you a de facto opermit - period, unless the permit was denied. End of story.

Email me if you want to or call VCDL and I or Philip will call them - but you personally need to call the Clerk of courts and demand that they "send" you your de facto permit that morning - by courrier to you, or US mail, which ever they prefer.