• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Stories Philly Suburbs

lprgcFrank

imported post

9-30 -OC'd my Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Comp-TacPro Undercover IWB @ 3:30 in the CVS on Rt 30 in St. Davids - waited in line for a prescription - no issues

also in Mino restaurant on Rt. 30 in Frazer - great meal - no issues - My Kimber was on the aisle - people came in for take out and had to stand right across from me - no issues. I know that the Owner and several staff noticed - but I'm a regular there...

Bolt06

imported post

I will continue in my area.. (north of philly. Eastside of PA ) but I have to get another holster.. and being handcuffed sucks. (pa "bad run in" ) unless you are putting them on a hot girl.:lol:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
After the smackdown in Harrisburg to the anti's this week. I'm doing more OC'ing. Who else is?
I am in Allentown on business about once a month. I will be there next the first or second week of November. If anyone is in the area, maybe we could have an OC get together in NorthEast PA?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
jpierce let me know the dates of when you are coming up here.. I am about 50 min from allentown
Sounds great! I will be up there either the first or second week of November. I will let you know when I firm up the dates.

That makes 2 of us. Who else is in for an Allentown OC get together?

lprgcFrank

imported post

10-12 OC'd Kimber Tactical Pro II in WaWa on Rt. 30 in Wayne doing the old call from the wife to pick up milk on the way home routine - no issues

10-7 OC'd Kimber Tactical Pro II in Flavor restaurant in Strafford - got a couple of stares from people sitting at a table while I was waiting for my take out - but the woman in line behind me gave me a big smile. Also OC'd twice in CVS in St. Davids dropping off and picking up a prescription for my wife and gassing up the car at the Sunoco in Wayne - No issues.

lprgcFrank

imported post

On 11-2, OC'd gassing up at the Sunoco in Wayne again, had a good conversation with the driver of one of the local college shuttles. He started the conversation saying that "I guess you don't have to worry about anyone stealing your gas". He thought I was a constable and was surprised when I told him I was just a citizen. He didn't think it was legal to OC in PA. We chatted aboutthe PA and Phila laws and where OC is legal and how to get a PA CCW. Good encounter.

lprgcFrank

imported post

11-25 OC'd in Ball & Ball in Whitford, Braxton's Pet Supplies in Strafford, WaWa in Strafford, Radnor Custom Cleaners in Wayne and Famous Footwear in Gateway Shopping Center - no issues - Don't think anyone even noticed.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
We chatted aboutthe PA and Phila laws and where OC is legal and how to get a PA CCW.
I don't mean to be overly critical but PA issues"License to Carry Firearms." This LTCF is sometimes needed to open carry in PA (vehicles, Philedelphia, during emergencies, and maybe at K-12 schools, if that question ever gets sorted out).

I never understood the term CCW anyway...but my point is that gun rights experts should use precise terminology at all times - PA does not issue a concealed weapons permit - it issues a "License to Carry Firearms."

VA issues a "Concealed Handgun Permit."

Etc.

ne1

imported post

Mike wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
We chatted aboutthe PA and Phila laws and where OC is legal and how to get a PA CCW.
I don't mean to be overly critical but PA issues"License to Carry Firearms." This LTCF is sometimes needed to open carry in PA (vehicles, Philedelphia, during emergencies, and maybe at K-12 schools, if that question ever gets sorted out).

I never understood the term CCW anyway...but my point is that gun rights experts should use precise terminology at all times - PA does not issue a concealed weapons permit - it issues a "License to Carry Firearms."

Etc.

It is my belief that our lawmakers purposefully befuddle our the language to pull the wool over our eyes and require us to seek 'professional' assistance when things become grey. The cost of this 'professional' assistance soon becomes prohibitive and therefore unconstititional acts become accepted by default. If no one challenges the government's definition of 'is' then the government's definition is accepted as common practice.
The point is legislators can be very precise when it wants to define terms and very vague when it suits their interests....

lprgcFrank

imported post

True on theLTC instead of CCW. I should be more precise in my writeups.

I travel a lot and I always thought that CCWwas be more prevelant. My PA and MA are LTC's,FL is CCW, and VA is concealed handgun permit so you're right, I should be using LTC...

cshotsky

imported post

As someone who grew up in Radnor and have lived there on and off for 40 years, let me say that the reason open carry gets no response is because people assume you are an LEO or constable. They just don't even calculate the possibility that a "civilian" is carrying a firearm. I would bet 80% don't even realize a permit to carry exists in PA. How anti-gun is the Mainline ? Well, let me put it this way, even adult possesion of a BB gun is illegal in Radnor and Lower Merion and has been for about 30 years.

lprgcFrank

imported post

I've lived in Radnor for 20 years and I agree that the mainline is very anti-gun. I travel a lot in OH and VA where I have to OC in the car (OH) and restaurants (VA) so I've decided that since it's legal, I'm going to OC and educate those that ask.

exceltoexcel

imported post

Mike wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:

Etc.

Since we're talking about the complete lack of consistancy in wording.

A LTCF is really just a concealed carry permit :what:Thats what the law states.

While it says licence to carry firearms, the statue specifically states that it is only for concealed carry. This is a basis for questioning open carry legality within philadelphia since you must have a licence to carry, however the Philadelphia law doesn't say you have to conceal only that you must have a licence, however it might be argued that its then implied that you must, however the letter of the law doesn't specify. Its a helluva twist.

§ 6109. Licenses.
(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

The real misconceptions come from the stupid title of this code

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
The title basically says you can't carry without a license and since a license is only for concealed carry you start to worry about open carry legality. However to confuse the issue

--(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

So not surprisingly it screws with your mind.

Because really the title should read

Firearms not to be carried concealed without a license.

And these people are supposed to be lawyers? Clueless morons.

thirtyonebravo

imported post

1/11/07 - Royersford: open carried mid-day at Subway, and late evening at Bravo Pizza. Nothing eventful, no looks that I noticed, but both were brief in/outs for take-out, and both not very populated either.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

exceltoexcel wrote:
Mike wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:

Etc.

Since we're talking about the complete lack of consistancy in wording.

A LTCF is really just a concealed carry permit :what:Thats what the law states.

While it says licence to carry firearms, the statue specifically states that it is only for concealed carry. This is a basis for questioning open carry legality within philadelphia since you must have a licence to carry, however the Philadelphia law doesn't say you have to conceal only that you must have a licence, however it might be argued that its then implied that you must, however the letter of the law doesn't specify. Its a helluva twist.

§ 6109. Licenses.
(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

The real misconceptions come from the stupid title of this code

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
The title basically says you can't carry without a license and since a license is only for concealed carry you start to worry about open carry legality. However to confuse the issue

--(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

So not surprisingly it screws with your mind.

Because really the title should read

Firearms not to be carried concealed without a license.

And these people are supposed to be lawyers? Clueless morons.
And two courts have held that open carry is legal with LTCF: Commonwealth v. Ortiz and one other case that escapes me.

TheJordTrain

imported post

Frank,

You may be just the guy I'm looking for. I've lurked on here a bit, because I'm curious to see if anybody's OCed round us.

I live in Havertown. Wanna meet up for coffee? Your choice of locations, but I'd fancy a starbucks just for shock value:shock::p

Anybody else wanna get in on this?

--Jordan