• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another School Shooting

Bolt06

imported post

NICKEL MINES, Pa. - A 32-year-old milk truck driver took about a dozen girls hostage in a one-room Amish schoolhouse Monday, barricaded the doors with boards and killed at least three girls and apparently himself, authorities said. It was the nation's third deadly school shooting in less than a week, and similar to an attack just days earlier at a school in Colorado. The gunman, identified as Charles Carl Roberts IV, was inside for over half an hour and had barred the doors with 2x4s with the girls inside, State Police Commissioner Jeffrey B. Miller said. By the time officers broke windows to get in, three girls and the gunman were dead, Miller said. Seven others were taken to hospitals, three in critical condition. "It appears that when he began shooting these victims, the victims were shot execution style in the head," Miller said. Roberts had walked into the one-room West Nickel Mines Amish School with a shotgun and handgun, then released about 15 boys, a pregnant woman and three other women with infants before barring the doors with the girls inside, Miller said. The girls were lined up along a blackboard, Miller said. "He had wire ties with him and flex ties, and he began to tie the girls' feet together," Miller said.

A teacher was able to call police around 10:30 a.m. and reported that a gunman was holding students hostage. About 11 a.m., Roberts apparently called his wife from a cell phone, saying he was "acting out in revenge for something that happened 20 years ago," Miller said. "It seems as though he wanted to attack young, female victims."

Moments later, Roberts told a dispatcher he would open fire on the children if police didn't back away from the building. Troopers heard gunfire in the building seconds later.

The school has about 25 to 30 students in all, ages 6 to 13.

"It seems as though he wanted to attack young, female victims," Miller said. He released no further details about that what the grudge Roberts mentioned could have involved.

Lancaster County Coroner G. Gary Kirchner initially said six people were killed, but later said he wasn't certain about that number.

At least seven people were taken to hospitals, including at least three girls, ages 6-12, who were admitted to Lancaster General Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds, spokesman John Lines said.

The small school, surrounded by a white board fence, sits among farmlands just outside Nickel Mines, a tiny village about 55 miles west of Philadelphia.

Hours after the attack, about three dozen people in traditional Amish clothing, broad-brimmed hats and bonnets stood near the small schoolhouse as investigators walked in a line through fields searching for evidence.

The shootings were disturbingly similar to an attack last week at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colo., where a man took several girls hostage in a school classroom and then killed one of them and himself. Authorities said the man sexually molested the girls.

"If this is some kind of a copycat, it's horrible and of concern to everybody, all law enforcement," said Monte Gore, undersheriff of Park County, Colo.

"On behalf of Park County and our citizens and our sheriff's office, our hearts go out to that school and the community," he said.

Nationwide, the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Colo., remains the deadliest school shooting, claiming the lives of 15 people, including the two teenage gunmen. On Friday, a school principal was gunned down in Cazenovia, Wis. A 15-year-old student, described as upset over a reprimand, was charged with murder in the killing.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

It makes me wonder why people are willing to entrust their children to people who are unprepared to protect them.

TEX1N

imported post

This is starting to become an epidemic. School are very soft targets for two main reasons: 1) Their primary demographic ischildren, which are naturally soft targets2)State and federal lawspreventadults fromhaving the meansto protect their students, thus also making themsoft targets (with the exception of a few states).

We mustallowteachers the means to protect themselves, and maybe that will help balance out the scale. Although I am guessing that the "guns" are going to receive most of the blame for these horrendous crimes.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will note that Commissioner Miller stated that the gunman had "...an automatic pistol..." I saw that verbatim on the news. It was also described as a "Springfield 9mm". The whole thing is nuts. In probbaly 99% of these types of shootings, it is a student that is responsible. Now, it is "outsiders" that walk into the school to perpetrate these crimes. This one is almost a copycat of last week's shooting, based, at least,on the female hostage factor. TEX1N has a good point about armed teachers, but I really don't see school systems embarking down that road, unfortunately. Other than that I'm pretty speechless and disgusted. My prayers to those affected.

badmonkey

imported post

Somewhere in the article I read on Yahoo News said that he selected this school because he knew there would be little or no security. Now I know this is Amish Country so guns are practically unheard of but it raises the question...
What is so bad about having armed guards in public schools. Most parents who are against this are the same ones who would 'call for heads to roll' if they took fire alarms out. They can accept the fact that the school could catch on fire but not that someone could shoot it up(which is actually, seems to me, far more common than fires). Does this make any sense?:banghead:

Bolt06

imported post

you do have a point badmonkey. they also would be the same people screaming about heads rolling to the school board for not being prepared.. I would compare it to bringing your car to a mechanic and telling him to fix it but then strip him of all his tools.. maybe leave hima screwdriver (fire alarm) and point out how much you just helped him (promoted safety). ....hope that made sense to you. :)

Jersey Ron

imported post

Guys/Gals,

Something just doesn't sit right with me about these school shootings; from Columbine, to the Indian reservation shooting, to the bizzare shootings in England(The 1996 Dunblane School Massacre)and Australia (Port Arthur) that some of you probably don't know about. Has anyone ever noticed that ALL of these shootings were in far out, rural type areas, away from places where you would more likely expect something like this to happen?? And of course the perpertraters of these horrendous murders ALWAYS "whack" themselves. And I don't recall any autopsy reports to see if there were any weird drugs in their bloodstream. I could be off base here, but something smells real fishy to me. And you can rest assure that the SAME Gun Control activists are on the way. By the way, in case you didn't know, the 1996 Dunblane School Masacre essentially banned ALL handgun sales in Great Britian due to the successful lobby of the Gun Control Activistsbacked by the SAME people over here.

Jersey Ron

TrueBrit

imported post

The gentleman from the PRNJ thinks exactly as I do about these atrocities! Something stinks here! As one who was robbed of his target pistols after Dunblane,I have researched these massacres somewhat, and it is troubling to note that they all bear eerie similarities. Curious that this should have occured at a time when PA is looking at more restrictions on guns? No doubt that the gun-grabbers will soon be dancing in the blood of these poor children, demanding ever more draconian gun laws. Sadly, one can never legislate against lunatics, nor against mind-controlled individuals!

I guess I am just getting more paranoid by the day!

I will be interested to see if Ron is correct, and maybe Soros' protegee, the arch-witch Rebecca Peters will rear her ugly head over this tragedy.

Mythoughts are with the bereaved families.

As an aside, it is worth noting the following: prior to the Port Arthur massacre, the Australian government was having great trouble in passing restrictive gun laws, especially in Tasmania. One prominent Aussie politician opined that it would take a massacre in Tasmania to get any form of restrictions imposed. His wish was granted shortly afterwards. Go figure!

TrueBrit.

MADISON

imported post

It seems rather stupid but, for some reason we have a bunch of kids who do not want too go back to school this time....