• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women & Open Carry

Ponygirl

imported post

Do any women open carry? I'm wondering if you feelmore secure when you open carry then when you carry concealed?

TrueBrit

imported post

Also our girl Laurel in ID,who, I hope, is procuring packing girlfriends for Idaho Corsair and me!;)Welcome to OCDO, good to have another OC lady aboard, especially if she is into horses, as I am.

TrueBrit.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ponygirl wrote:
Do any women open carry? I'm wondering if you feelmore secure when you open carry then when you carry concealed?

Yes, I'm here. Just don't get to this section of the forum as often.

Been open carrying for about a year, concealed a bit longer. Been shooting since forever, just procrastinated on the cc. Moved here a few years ago, and I'm ashamed to admit it took me as long as it did to realize I could OC.

In business clothes, I usually carry concealed. But I'm not happy about it. I carry in a purse, and it takes a lot longer to get to the weapon and prepare to shoot. Plus, I spent so many years in the military I can't carry a purse on my right side, so carrying in a purse means a cross draw. Not only slower, but I might sweep others.

Ponygirl

imported post

I've been in Washington about a year and a half and I just recently learned about OC here. I've only done it when hiking. Not sure if I want to do it in the cities. I live in a rural area. I've never carried concealed before. Last place I live didn't allow concealed carry. Sounds like drawing from a purse is difficult. Have you ever tried a shoulder holster?

Tess wrote:
Ponygirl wrote:

Yes, I'm here. Just don't get to this section of the forum as often.

Been open carrying for about a year, concealed a bit longer. Been shooting since forever, just procrastinated on the cc. Moved here a few years ago, and I'm ashamed to admit it took me as long as it did to realize I could OC.

In business clothes, I usually carry concealed. But I'm not happy about it. I carry in a purse, and it takes a lot longer to get to the weapon and prepare to shoot. Plus, I spent so many years in the military I can't carry a purse on my right side, so carrying in a purse means a cross draw. Not only slower, but I might sweep others.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've wanted to try a shoulder holster, but haven't yet. My husband has a couple. Same issue, though - drawing cross-side. But at least I could wear it under a jacket. Not open, but I wouldn't have to carry the purse. See, I'm a cheapskate, too, and hate the thought of buying something then not liking it. I did that with a "Pager Pal" and it was a waste of money - AND their customer service is rude and atrocious.

I do love my Galco purses, though - with or without weapons in <grin>.

And I do love the fact that here in Virginia I have a choice.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

My partner saw a woman open carrying at the bank in Fredericksburg about a month ago... he called me to tell me. He was kind of excited / surprised (I told him I wasn't the only one!). Fredericksburg seems to be a particularly active open carry area.... I assumed it was Tess (not that I know her personally) but maybe not.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
My partner saw a woman open carrying at the bank in Fredericksburg about a month ago... he called me to tell me. He was kind of excited / surprised (I told him I wasn't the only one!). Fredericksburg seems to be a particularly active open carry area.... I assumed it was Tess (not that I know her personally) but maybe not.

Nope, not me. I live in Alexandria and bank in Texas - only getting to Fredericksburg a couple of times a year.

But it gives me hope. The only other women I've ever seen OC have been at VCDL meetings.

Ponygirl

imported post

I'm a cheapskate too. What kind of gun do you carry concealed? My husband bought me a glock 23 and I don't like it. I have a hard time loading the magazine. I guess I'm a wimp.

Tess wrote:
I've wanted to try a shoulder holster, but haven't yet. My husband has a couple. Same issue, though - drawing cross-side. But at least I could wear it under a jacket. Not open, but I wouldn't have to carry the purse. See, I'm a cheapskate, too, and hate the thought of buying something then not liking it. I did that with a "Pager Pal" and it was a waste of money - AND their customer service is rude and atrocious.

I do love my Galco purses, though - with or without weapons in <grin>.

And I do love the fact that here in Virginia I have a choice.

livitup

imported post

Pony Girl,

I also have a G23. I bought mine used (it was a LEO trade in) and it only came with one magazine, so I bought a spare when I got the gun. Cartridges slip into the old magazine like butter, butI can hardly muscle the 13th in to the new one. Best advice I have seen from Glock forums is to leave the new magazines fully loaded for a little while and you should notice them loosen up a little bit. I've had mine about a month or so and I've noticed that the new magazine is significantly easier to load now than it was fresh from the store.

Also, after loading the final cartridge I grip the magazine like a soda can (wrap your whole hand around it) and press down with my thumb on the top cartridge. Then I tap it forcibly on the counter/desk/whatever, which putts a little more downward pressure on the stack. I can usually feel it drop another couple millimeters before it bounces back up. This also seems to help the break in as well as feeding.

Welcome to OCDO and Glocks!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ponygirl wrote:
I'm a cheapskate too. What kind of gun do you carry concealed? My husband bought me a glock 23 and I don't like it. I have a hard time loading the magazine. I guess I'm a wimp.

I carry a Bersa Thunderbolt .380, and I love it.

I also own a Markarov, Czech made. It's comfortable, light enough for concealed carry, but I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the Bersa.

Next purchase is a Bersa .45. It felt really nice in my hand, but the vendor only had a 2-tone (gold trigger, slide lock, hammer, etc.) and I didn't want to be that ostentatious.

Unlike many others, I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy what I want. I don't like Glocks (ugly), but I do like the SIG, and may buy a SIG 232 eventually, but so far I'm just as happy with my Bersa and it's about half the price.

hirundo82

imported post

One of the advantages I can see for open carry for women is that their body shape often makes it more difficult to conceal. Whereas we men often have wide shoulders that drape our shirt over the gun, women usually have wider hips which tend to push the gun out away from their body. An additional complication is women's torsos are usually shorter than men's, meaning you may have the butt of your weapon basiclly in your armpit.

I would agree with your choice not to carry in your purse--although it might require some changes in your wardrobe to conceal effectively, depending on how form-fitting your clothes are now, carrying on your body is much more secure than in a purse or briefcase. Then again, an advantage of OC is you do not need to change your wardrobe.

Some holster makers do make concealed holsters specifically for women though. Del Fatti Leather has one. Mitch Rosen has an OWB for women (look for the NSP under on-the-belt holsters) that looks like it would work for OC as well as CC. I know I have seen other holsters for women, but those are the only ones I can find in my bookmarks of holster makers right now.

This page has lots of good information for women who carry, although it does not specifically address OC--it is written by a woman who is a moderator on THR.

And don't worry about the magazines with your Glock--all the Golck magazines have loosened up a lot after some use. I agree with loading tham fully and letting them sit for a while. You also may need to use the magazine loader that came with the gun the first few times you load the magazines as well--it is slower, but it makes it so much easier to get the last round into the mag.

If the magazines are not the only reason you don't like the G23, don't hesitate to trade it in for a gun that you like. Many people, both men and women, do not like the sharp recoil of the .40 S&W round. And the Glock does not feel right to everyone.

[rant]I do not understand why so many men go out and choose a gun for the woman in their life without consulting her. Choosing a gun is such a personal decision, and most men would not trust anyone else to do it for them, so why do they choose one for their wife/girlfriend/mother/etc. without consulting her? If she chooses it, even if it is not a brand/model/caliber you like, she is more likely to carry it, and any gun is better than no gun.[/rant]

Ponygirl

imported post

Thank you. I'll try that.

livitup wrote:
Pony Girl,

I also have a G23. I bought mine used (it was a LEO trade in) and it only came with one magazine, so I bought a spare when I got the gun. Cartridges slip into the old magazine like butter, butI can hardly muscle the 13th in to the new one. Best advice I have seen from Glock forums is to leave the new magazines fully loaded for a little while and you should notice them loosen up a little bit. I've had mine about a month or so and I've noticed that the new magazine is significantly easier to load now than it was fresh from the store.

Also, after loading the final cartridge I grip the magazine like a soda can (wrap your whole hand around it) and press down with my thumb on the top cartridge. Then I tap it forcibly on the counter/desk/whatever, which putts a little more downward pressure on the stack. I can usually feel it drop another couple millimeters before it bounces back up. This also seems to help the break in as well as feeding.

Welcome to OCDO and Glocks!

Ponygirl

imported post

I'll check out the Bersa...I think some of the firing ranges rent guns out...Maybe they'll have a Bersa.

Tess wrote:
Ponygirl wrote:

I carry a Bersa Thunderbolt .380, and I love it.

I also own a Markarov, Czech made. It's comfortable, light enough for concealed carry, but I'm not as accurate with it as I am with the Bersa.

Next purchase is a Bersa .45. It felt really nice in my hand, but the vendor only had a 2-tone (gold trigger, slide lock, hammer, etc.) and I didn't want to be that ostentatious.

Unlike many others, I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy what I want. I don't like Glocks (ugly), but I do like the SIG, and may buy a SIG 232 eventually, but so far I'm just as happy with my Bersa and it's about half the price.

Ponygirl

imported post

Thanks for the good info. I'll check out those holsters.

Men also shouldn't buy underwear for their wives/girlfriends either.;)

hirundo82 wrote:
One of the advantages I can see for open carry for women is that their body shape often makes it more difficult to conceal. Whereas we men often have wide shoulders that drape our shirt over the gun, women usually have wider hips which tend to push the gun out away from their body. An additional complication is women's torsos are usually shorter than men's, meaning you may have the butt of your weapon basiclly in your armpit.

I would agree with your choice not to carry in your purse--although it might require some changes in your wardrobe to conceal effectively, depending on how form-fitting your clothes are now, carrying on your body is much more secure than in a purse or briefcase. Then again, an advantage of OC is you do not need to change your wardrobe.

Some holster makers do make concealed holsters specifically for women though. Del Fatti Leather has one. Mitch Rosen has an OWB for women (look for the NSP under on-the-belt holsters) that looks like it would work for OC as well as CC. I know I have seen other holsters for women, but those are the only ones I can find in my bookmarks of holster makers right now.

This page has lots of good information for women who carry, although it does not specifically address OC--it is written by a woman who is a moderator on THR.

And don't worry about the magazines with your Glock--all the Golck magazines have loosened up a lot after some use. I agree with loading tham fully and letting them sit for a while. You also may need to use the magazine loader that came with the gun the first few times you load the magazines as well--it is slower, but it makes it so much easier to get the last round into the mag.

If the magazines are not the only reason you don't like the G23, don't hesitate to trade it in for a gun that you like. Many people, both men and women, do not like the sharp recoil of the .40 S&W round. And the Glock does not feel right to everyone.

[rant]I do not understand why so many men go out and choose a gun for the woman in their life without consulting her. Choosing a gun is such a personal decision, and most men would not trust anyone else to do it for them, so why do they choose one for their wife/girlfriend/mother/etc. without consulting her? If she chooses it, even if it is not a brand/model/caliber you like, she is more likely to carry it, and any gun is better than no gun.[/rant]

FoMoGo

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
I have been pistol shopping with my fiance for a couple of months now, so far it looks like the bersa thunder .380 for her.
She has smaller hands so a wide grip doesnt feel right, and some of the compact pistols with short grips that dont allow all fingers good purchase dont either.
In "my" experiance women with strong side carry have an advantage over men. Their hips tuck the grip in to the body and make it less noticable.

Jim