• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women & Open Carry

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hirundo82 - I'm gonna bite.

Women don't wear their underwear for you any more than you do for us.

If she CHOOSES to wear something you'd like, that's her CHOICE.

hirundo82

imported post

I know that. I was just playing around. I sometimes forget that my style of humor doesn't translate well into writing. I can be very sarcastic and politically incorrect, but I usually don't mean to offend anybody. I apologize if I unintentionally offended anyone.

In an attempt to get this thread back to that original topic, I came across a site that specializes in carry accessories for women: Cunningham Custom Leather Products.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know, that's why I prefaced it with "I'll bite."

And trust me, seeing me in something men would buy would evoke peals of laughter or a run to the little room, depending on your sense of humor :lol:

But I couldn't let it pass. It is just as bad as buying her a gun or holster <grin>

Zena Blase

imported post

Hi, Zena checking in, interesting forum!

I work corporate securityfor a national company andmostly carry concealed on the job, in that capacity usually use a Galco "Dyna" purse, which at first blushmight seema bit expensive... until you open the box, then yourealize that it's really, really good quality equipment that looks great. It'll last almostforever -and has a locking zipper.

If you don't like being stuck with shoulder holster carry, IWB,or fanny-pack type configurations, you might want tocheck outthe Galco gear. They make the original "Miami Classic" shoulder holster Don Johnson made famous.

Here's a link to Galco:

Dyna

DYNAMODE.jpg

Be good to yourself- :)

Zena

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Zena Blase wrote:
Hi, Zena checking in, interesting forum!

I work corporate securityfor a national company andmostly carry concealed on the job, in that capacity usually use a Galco "Dyna" purse, which at first blushmight seema bit expensive... until you open the box, then yourealize that it's really, really good quality equipment that looks great. It'll last almostforever -and has a locking zipper.

If you don't like being stuck with shoulder holster carry, IWB,or fanny-pack type configurations, you might want tocheck outthe Galco gear. They make the original "Miami Classic" shoulder holster Don Johnson made famous.

Here's a link to Galco:

Dyna

DYNAMODE.jpg

Be good to yourself- :)

Zena

OOOOoooohhhh yeah! I have one of those. While it still makes me cross-draw (or I have to have time to shift unobtrusively), it's a GREAT purse.

CPerdue

imported post

I saw one not-so-smart guy turn his lady friend off of shooting pretty badly by starting her out on something big and then ignoring the pained grimace. I never start a beginner on anything larger than a .22.

Do take the ladies to try different things. My wife hates my H&K .40 USP-compact, but has decided she likes a full size 1911. She says it has less kick and she feels more in control - holds a better group too. It just goes to show guys, the surprises never end.

cs9c1

imported post

CPerdue wrote:
I saw one not-so-smart guy turn his lady friend off of shooting pretty badly by starting her out on something big and then ignoring the pained grimace. I never start a beginner on anything larger than a .22.

Do take the ladies to try different things. My wife hates my H&K .40 USP-compact, but has decided she likes a full size 1911. She says it has less kick and she feels more in control - holds a better group too. It just goes to show guys, the surprises never end.
Thats why I got my wife an XD-9, she hates my glock 27.

expvideo

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
[rant]I do not understand why so many men go out and choose a gun for the woman in their life without consulting her. Choosing a gun is such a personal decision, and most men would not trust anyone else to do it for them, so why do they choose one for their wife/girlfriend/mother/etc. without consulting her? If she chooses it, even if it is not a brand/model/caliber you like, she is more likely to carry it, and any gun is better than no gun.[/rant]

I agree whole heartedly. I can't understand why a lot of guys buy .380 or smaller for their wives either! I don't trust my life to anything less than 9mm, why would I expect my girlfriend to? I admit I was looking at a PPKs in .32, but that was an excuse to get myself a present. As for a carry gun for my girlfriend, I wanted to show her the beretta 8000 cougar and the PX4, see what she thinks about those. I've taken her shooting my P226, and I know she can handle a 9mm (probably bigger). Most women can. She actually did better than I did on the range.*

So when it comes time for her to choose a carry piece, she's choosing it. Perhaps with some recommendation from me, but it's all up to her. And for god's sake guys, you wouldn't protect your wife/girlfriend's life with a .22-.380, why would you expect her to protect her own life with one?

*funny story.. she shoots the man-shaped target in the face and frowns. I tell her "great shot! you got him in the lip" but she replies "but I was aiming for his tooth". :D I told her that the lip was close enough to the tooth, but I was amazed by her high self-expectations. Most girls I've ever taken shooting were hoping to hit the target to begin with! Hell, I'd be impressed if I could have made that shot!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Be carefulexpvideo... If Bloomie was lurking it could be a straw purchase! :cool:Yep, let 'em shoot the repertoire, then choose their own. I hope to do this with my wife, soon. She shows a great desire to go shootin' with me and I want her to be comfortable with the right firearm. Darn, Maybe she gets the 3913, then I can get a 4513... HMMMM!:dude:(Long story... , but one with a GREAT ending!)

Zena Blase

imported post

Anymore I carry a 5" M1991A1 .45 with a modified EGW firing pin stop (with the original .078" radius.) It really helps slow down the slide by transferring more energy into the mainspring andincreasing the slide dwell just a bit. The result is a lot less muzzle flip.

I agree that it's best for all shooters to find their favorite caliber and configurationfor themselves. A good .22 such as the High Standard is a nice place to start.

Myfirst shooting experience as a kidwas in southern Oregon with a Remington "Nylon 66" rifle. Later, a Colt Python .357, and 2" Diamondback .38. After those it was a natural to try the .45, and I carried a Nickel Combat Commander formany years.

Since it's an Open Carry forum I shouldmentionit is a Galco Small Of Back holster that works for me when I'mnot carrying concealed.If you see a trend, it's true, ever since the Jackass Miami Classic carried my Commander, I've been a Galco fan- never had a failure on one of 'em yet. :cool:I wish I could get a discount for the endorsement! :?

FaithEsther

imported post

I just found this women & guns thread. How fun! I wouldn't have started a new thread about Smart Carry, as my posts are probably more fitting here. I haven't OC'd yet because I need a good holster. Once I have bitten the bullet and paid for one, (anythingnice looking is pretty expensive)then I'll start.