• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kel Tec P11

badmonkey

imported post

What do you all think about a Kel Tec P11 9mm as a concealed carry or backup gun? I'm talking about accuracy and durability really. I know its no target gun but it the accuracy decent? If I go put 1000 rounds through it will it fall apart? I was looking at these because of the decent price(low income college student lol) Thanks guys.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I really like my P11. Its kinda a kit gun, meaning sometimes they need work to be reliable,(mine didn't) though M59 magazines don't work well in mine, but factory 10 and 12 roundes did after breaking in. Accuracy is surprisingly good, but the trigger pull is long and heavy. I installed a White's trigger stop on mine and instantly my groups went from grapefruit sized to golfball sized at 7 yards. Nightsights from the factory are $80 installed and work great. I also have the beltclip which I find handy too, really robust on the P11.

techcowboy

imported post

I use my P-11 as my primary with a beltclip. I have had it for about a year and a half.
Kel-Tec gives excellent service. The accuracy is great for a 9. Very powerful reliable piece. I don't leave home without it. I put around 1000 through it so far.One FTF at the range.
BUG Bersa Thunder .380
BU to BUG H&R Model 929

markand

imported post

I havean olderKeltec P11 and I've had difficulties. Have had to replace the slide (burr left over from manufacture that couldn't be filed out), firing pin (broke during a range session), and slide stop lever (also broke during a range session). I've never been able to get more than 20 rounds through it without a failure to feed or eject, and that's with a 2 handed grip on a sand bag rest, so I know I'm not limpwristing it. Other people, including the other posters here,report good results, so perhaps I just got unlucky. Judging by posts onother sites, my experience isn't unheard of, however.

I like the small size, light weight, low price, 10+1 capacity (12+1 or 14+1 if you use compatible S&W magazines)and 9mm punch. That's why I've kept it andkeep tinkering with it and speaking to Keltec customer service in order to get it going reliably. And Keltec customer service has been great, replacing broken parts for free with no hassle at all. Hasn't been a major priority as I have other carry guns.

Don't mean to be negative, but I thought you should hear both sides of the reliability issue. As I said, I probably just got unlucky with this particular gun. Others I have spoken to think highly of the gun.

Spank That Donkey

imported post

I loved my P3AT so much I had to get the P-11. I started off with hollow point rounds, and got a lot of stoppages. So I went and got the ramp polished and ran 100 rounds of ball through it, and now no problems with hollow point.

I do want to reduce the trigger pull, it really takes away from the fun of shooting the gun... Not to mention the slide has biten me more than once...

I really think the single stack version would have been a better choice for concealability, and 11 rounds... I sure hope never to get in a situation that requires more than three pulls of a trigger...

That is where you wish you have an actual combat pistol... That's not a gun fight, it's a war!

Attachments

• P-11.JPG
    P-11.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 380

badmonkey

imported post

Thanks for all the replies on this topic. This seems like a decent gun but just wanting an opinion here, I was offered a Kahr CW9 for $300, should I take it? I know the main disadvantage over the KT is that it has a single stack mag, but this also makes it more easily concealable. After doing some price checking this seems to be a farily good deal. Should I go with the Kahr or stick with the Kel-Tec idea?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Kahr is LNIB and has just over 100 rounds through it, flawless condition. Also, I think I like the smoother trigger pull on the Kahr, opinions?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sounds like a good price and the trigger is better, not sure about the weight and you lose capacity but I'd go for it.

VegasTech702

imported post

I shot one of those a couple months ago. let's just say I wasn't impressed. It had what I would call the trigger from hell. My face almost went red trying to pull it. then I got a jam almost every three rounds with ball ammo. It is my Uncle's gun. I told him he should send it back for warranty service or sell it. It sure wasn't going to save or take anyone's life the way it was.

badmonkey

imported post

VegasTech702 wrote:
I shot one of those a couple months ago. let's just say I wasn't impressed. It had what I would call the trigger from hell. My face almost went red trying to pull it. then I got a jam almost every three rounds with ball ammo. It is my Uncle's gun. I told him he should send it back for warranty service or sell it. It sure wasn't going to save or take anyone's life the way it was.
Are you talking about the Kahr or the Kel-Tec? I'm assuming the KT. I never shot the Kel-Tec but I did end up buying the Kahr and the trigger on that thing is sweet and I've never had a jamming problem either.

countrychic_2009

imported post

I haven't shot the Kel Tec P11, but I have shot a P9, and I really like that gun. My husband has owns one, and when he bought it he bought me a Kel Tec .380, P3AT, and I didn't like shooting that gun. The recoil hurt my hand too much. I got to the point that I preferred shooting his 9mm to the .380 because I was much more comfortable with it. After awhile, I wouldn't even shoot my P3AT, and eventually we sold it and got me a Cobra .380, which didn't have near the recoil that the P3AT did... but we even sold that Cobra earlier this year, because I prefer at least a 9mm to a .380.

countrychic_2009

imported post

I haven't shot the Kel Tec P11, but I have shot a P9, and I really like that gun. My husband has owns one, and when he bought it he bought me a Kel Tec .380, P3AT, and I didn't like shooting that gun. The recoil hurt my hand too much. I got to the point that I preferred shooting his 9mm to the .380 because I was much more comfortable with it. After awhile, I wouldn't even shoot my P3AT, and eventually we sold it and got me a Cobra .380, which didn't have near the recoil that the P3AT did... but we even sold that Cobra earlier this year, because I prefer at least a 9mm to a .380.

REDNECK

imported post

I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE P11, BUT I CARRY A P9. I LOVE IT. I QUALIFIED WITH THIS GUN AND SHOT A 246 OR 248. ME AND MY WIFE PUT AT LEAST 150 ROUNDS THROUGH IT EVERY TIME WE GO TO THE RANGE. I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S SMALL ENOUGH TO CARRY IN MY BACK, OR IN A HOLSTER ON MY HIP UNDER A BIG SHIRT AND NOT PRINT. AT THE SAME TIME MY WIFE HAD THE .380 VERSION, A P3AT. IT IS REAL SMALL AND SUPER NICE FOR CONCEALMENT, BUT THE RE-COIL WAS ACTUALLY WORSE THAN THE 9MM. SHE WENT TO THE 9MM.

gungho84

imported post

I just picked up a Kel-Tec P-11 last Sunday. $307 after tax. I also picked up a second magazine.

So far I've fired 121 rounds through it. No failures whatsoever, be it missfire, fail to feed, eject, etcetera.

The trigger pull is a bit long but you get used to it. Loud gun, definitely should wear ear protections when shooting it.

I've only shot 115 grain FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). Three different brands, American Eagle, Remigton, and Brown Bear.

This is my first gun, besides a 30-30 Winchester I use for deer hunting but that'll be changing soon.

I plan on taking a class on concealed carry and applying for my permit, and I also plan on Open Carrying here in Michigan. However, I want to really study the laws to make sure I'm definitely in the right when I do.

So yeah, I'd say go with the Kel-Tec P-11. I'm never shot the Kahr, but Nutnfancy (a guy who does gun reviews on YouTube) really likes the Kahr.

REDNECK

imported post

I CARRY 124 GRAIN GOLD DOTS FOR PERSONAL DEFENSE, AND 115 FMJ FOR THE RANGE. I LIKE THE GOLD DOT BECAUSE ITS DESIGNED TO GO IN AND COME APART AND STOP. FOR HUNTING I CARRY A MARLIN .30-30 OR A 70 POUND DRAW COMPOUND BOW, WITH A DAN WESSON .357 MAG FOR BACK UP IN AN 8 INCH BARREL.