• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Friendly Banks?

vtme_grad98

imported post

Having seen that Navy Federal Credit Union has put up No Guns signs at every nearby branch at some point in the last year (I usually bank online), I'm now searching for a Hampton Roads bank that doesn't think my guns are evil. Basically, I can't bring myself to trust my money to an institution that is so incapable of logic that they think a No Guns sign will prevent robberies. Any advice on where I should start looking to move my money?

D

Desertdoc

imported post

I bank at Navy federal and have carried my gun in two of them without any problems. I have not seen any signs at either branchesand i have looked. At the branch next to NOB i even talked to the Norfolk cop that sits in the coner. The one on Battlefield i had a talk with a cashier about my gun. They never did they say that it was against there policy. I would have a slight problem with a bank that services our military and banning our 2nd amendment right, since i have been deployed 8 times to defend everyones rights.

VApatriot

imported post

I bank with NFCU also. I haven't been to the branch in Springfieldin a very long time (I do mostvery thing online or at an ATM), but I don't ever remember seeing a "no guns" sign before.

rabbit994

imported post

I bank with NFCU as well and haven't seen no guns sign at Centreville branch. You figure a bank with a large group of military is likely to have plenty of concealed carry permit holders. I haven't open carried yet there but I have concealed carry with no problems.

vtme_grad98

imported post

I live right between the branch on Battlefield Blvd north of the bridge and the one on Providence near the Kempsville intersection. Both had No Guns signs. I tried to find an email for NFCU, and it looks like I'll either have to write them or find time to make a call. It's good to know it isn't wide spread, which means a few branch managers are just overstepping (I hope).

VApatriot

imported post

vtme_grad98,

I just checked the NFCU website again, and I could finda singlething thatevenremotely referenced carry offirearms or any other bank rules or policies. You may want to try tocheck with some higher ups in the bank to see if these branches are within the bounds of corporate policy.

Off topic, but can I take a guess at the translation of your handle? Virginia Tech Mechanical Engineering Graduate class of '98?

vtme_grad98

imported post

You cracked my clever code. Damn you! :)

Since I think I'll be using the mail route (unless someone here has better luck finding a contact email for NFCU than I did), I'm going to spend the next week visiting as many of the Southside Hampton Roads branches as possible to see how widespread these signs are before writing to complain.

darrel_h

imported post

i also bank with nfcu and don't care for their "no guns policy". i've been with them for over 8 years now and like the way they do business.i live in nova and would like to start banking with another credit union, but i don't know of any good ones that are nationwide, do any of you? i don't want to bank with bank of america or anyone like that, and of course bb&t is no guns also. if anyone has any good suggestions please let me know. thanks.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you have any type of eligibility, check out USAA. Though you have to do some things by mail, since they're based in Texas, the fact they don't have any branches makes it easier on us carriers. And I've never seen anything in any of their postings, or on their campus (I used to live in San Antonio) that indicated they weren't gun friendly.

Or Ft Belvoir credit union - their local branch off post isn't posted - though I've never been in there. That would work for the Woodbridge poster, anyway, if not the Virginia Beach poster.

rabbit994

imported post

Since I have not seen said signs or learned of gun unfriendly practices. I'm filling this under "need more information (picture preferred)"

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I am a member of Virginia Credit Union and VACU does not have any policies or signage regarding legal firearms in its branches. They have 11 branches in the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield/Colonial Heights areas as well as a 12th one in Fredericksburg and another onein Stafford (plus many VACU ATM's elsewhere, like in some state buildings and on the Mary Washington campus, etc). You also can use any WAWA ATM (they are all owned by Virginia Credit Union) and get cash with no fee at all - not from VACU or WAWA. And you can always use Credit Union Service Centers if you aren't in the metro/fredericksburg areas. This would be one option for anyone looking for a financial institution . . .

vtme_grad98

imported post

Well, I have been unable to find any other branches that have "No Guns" signs. So far, the one on Providence Rd is the only one. I just wish I could find an email to use to contact NFCU about this, since sitting on hold on the phone isn't very appealing to me yet.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might want to start banking at Chevy Chase Bank. I've been banking there for years, and I've had no problems. I open carry there occasionally, most recently last night (Oct. 12) with no comments and no problems.

darrel_h

imported post

chevy chase? hmmm.....never really gave them much thought. i know i've used thier atm's a few times and been charged an arm and a leg. they're not a credit union, are they? also, they're pretty much in the dc metro/northern va area, aren't they?