• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

glove compartment

exdiver

imported post

News on KC3 about the Ky courts recently ruling that the center console in a vehicle is "not" a glove compartment as it relates to the carry of a weapon. Court definition = new law.

TrueBrit

imported post

I was under the impression that the question of glovebox carry had been settled awhile back. According to PDO,it plainly states that guns in centre consols, door pockets etc do not constitute glovebox carry.I realise that this is splitting hairs, but I believe that the gentleman in question just failed to read the laws pertaining to car carry without a CDWL. Being a cynic,I suspect that this is more "officer safety" hocus pocus!It takes a little longer to take a gun out of a regularly installed glovebox than does to get it out of a console or door pocket. I also believe that under the seat carry is a no-no in Kentucky.

BTW,Welcome to OCDO, Sir. Might you also be a resident of the Commonwealth?

TrueBrit.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I also think this was a lot of news that really wasn't news. The law had already been clear. When they said "glove box", they meant "glove box", and not the center console, above the visor, in a storage area on the door, etc. The glove box does not need to be locked, and in fact does not even need to have a lock. This is one time where the law was fairly clear from the start, IMO.

People riding motorcycles don't have a glove box and they're out of luck. The rules are a lot goofier in Ohio.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Mike wrote:
KY does not criminalize open carry in vehicles - the guy should have open carried.
Yup, my grandfather (retired WVSP) has always said put you weapon on the dash for "God and all the Troopers to see." He says the same goes for KY.

Captain38

imported post

If you have a CCDW license, concern abouttheelements of what constitutes a concealed carryviolation in a vehicle is moot. As previously stated,a firearm may be legally carried ina vehicle'sglove-box in Kentucky whether that glove-box is capable of being locked or not and no permit is required.

With that exception, however, a concealed firearm CANNOT legally be in an occupiedvehicle in Kentucky without a CCDW license if

(1) it is hidden from view of the casual observer (such as a law enforcement officerconducting a routine traffic stop AND

(2) is readily accessible, on or abouta person, WITHOUT that person having to make a substantial change of body position.

TrueBrit

imported post

Captain38 wrote:
If you have a CCDW license, concern abouttheelements of what constitutes a concealed carryviolation in a vehicle is moot. As previously stated,a firearm may be legally carried ina vehicle'sglove-box in Kentucky whether that glove-box is capable of being locked or not and no permit is required.

With that exception, however, a concealed firearm CANNOT legally be in an occupiedvehicle in Kentucky without a CCDW license if

(1) it is hidden from view of the casual observer (such as a law enforcement officerconducting a routine traffic stop AND

(2) is readily accessible, on or abouta person, WITHOUT that person having to make a substantial change of body position.

Great advice from the Captain, who points out the common sense way in which guns are generally viewed here in KY. I have an idea, however, that there is a Bill being considered here that would permit the carriage of a loaded handgun just about anywhere in a vehicle, no CDWL needed. Let us see what happens here.

TrueBrit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My understanding is that if you have a CCW, you can have the pistol on your hip, open carried, but not necessarily visible enough to meet the standard in a traffic stop, and still be ok because of the CCW. Is this correct? I live in MO, but my family has property in KY and I'm only about 30 miles away and visit western KY for recreational reasons but have not visited since obtaining my CCW in MO. (Probably should have asked this question a while back since I am going to be in KY in about 2 hours :p )

Captain38

imported post

Deepdiver,

Any type carry and any location within the vehicle is permissible IF you have a CCW (or CCDW License, as it's called in Kentucky).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thank for the info, Captain! I was hoping that was the case and appreciate your expertise clarifying (I have a MO CCW and family land in KY so it really helps me to know).

Since I wasn't sure (and didn't have internet to come back here and check over the weekend) I carried it concealed in the car this trip. I would have been more comfortable carrying it otherwise, however, and if I had been proactive enough to have come here and asked the experts in advance, I would have had a slightly more comfortable trip.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
Mike wrote:
KY does not criminalize open carry in vehicles - the guy should have open carried.
Yup, my grandfather (retired WVSP) has always said put you weapon on the dash for "God and all the Troopers to see." He says the same goes for KY.

with all due respect, Agent6, your grandfather is wrong about KY.

Mike, unless the loaded firearm is in the glovebox, you're in violation of the law & the weapon is considered concealed.

TrueBrit

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Agent6-3/8 wrote:
Mike wrote:

with all due respect, Agent6, your grandfather is wrong about KY.

Mike, unless the loaded firearm is in the glovebox, you're in violation of the law & the weapon is considered concealed.

Glock, please read what Captain 38 has to say on car carry in KY.You can take it to the bank. He knows his stuff!

I have often carried a gun on the passenger seat of my vehicle, no issues with KY cops at traffic stops, so ,without a CDWL, one is not restricted to glovebox carry ONLY.

The Agent's grand father was correct in that KY allows dash carry, no permit,but was probably describing the preferred method of carry from a cop's point of view.

TrueBrit.

FightingGlock19

imported post

TrueBrit, I re-read what Capt. 38 posted and it's esentially the same thing I posted and esentially the same as the KRS inregards to the open carry in a vehicle discussion in this thread.

Being "hidden from view" can be unintentional, as well. Put your gun in you passenger's seat & walk up to the car's 7 or 8 o'clock. To the casual observer, the weapon's now concealed.

here's from the FAQ on the KSP's website ...

How can I legally carry a gun in my vehicle without a CCDW license?

KRS 527.020 - "A deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism."

TrueBrit

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
TrueBrit, I re-read what Capt. 38 posted and it's esentially the same thing I posted and esentially the same as the KRS inregards to the open carry in a vehicle discussion in this thread.

Being "hidden from view" can be unintentional, as well. Put your gun in you passenger's seat & walk up to the car's 7 or 8 o'clock. To the casual observer, the weapon's now concealed.

here's from the FAQ on the KSP's website ...

How can I legally carry a gun in my vehicle without a CCDW license?

KRS 527.020 - "A deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism."

Your point is well taken , Glock.How bizarre that a gun in a glove box is not considered concealed, yet a gun on a seat could be deemed so by a picky cop approaching a car from 7 or 8 o clock! I LIKE to think that the KY cops are not that asinine, but, who can tell.....

Could be that I need to pay more attention to these matters. The devil is in the details, for sure! I appreciate your input,Sir, good stuff!

TrueBrit.

FightingGlock19

imported post

>>How bizarre that a gun in a glove box is not considered concealed, yet a gun on a seat could be deemed so by a picky cop approaching a car from 7 or 8 o clock!<<

It only makes sense, if you think about it. There's several places, other than the passenger's seat, where the gun could be "concealed," as well. The dash board issue is one. Put the gun on the dashboard directly infront of the driver position. Now, walk up behind the car (like an officer @ a traffic stop). Do you see the gun?

Center consoles are the only thing there are in some vehicles, so I, somewhat, would like to see the laws change to reflect that. However, to cover all bases & keep that added security with me (almost) everywhere I go, I'll keep my CCDW & keep carrying concealed, eh?

>>I LIKE to think that the KY cops are not that asinine, but, who can tell.....<<

If there's one group of people who are so ignorant to laws, it has to be police officers. Not all of them, but alot of them. When I have questions about one of the KRS, I look straight to the source. You'll get three different answers from three different officers.

>>Could be that I need to pay more attention to these matters. The devil is in the details, for sure! I appreciate your input,Sir, good stuff!<<

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

Whenever I have any questions, that's right where I go. Sometimes I'm careful concerning that, as well. Example - my wife (she's a German citizen) was going to apply for her CCDW, the guy on the phone said that's the way the law is written, but when the new govenor gets in there she won't be able to get one, so she might as well not apply for one. Well, she got her class taken care of and guess what? The guy was wrong & she got grandfathered in. Now if the KC3 can get the mistake they caused reversed, we'll all be happy again, but that's another topic all together.