• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Security, Albuquerque FOP trying to talk sense to the School System

VAopencarry

imported post

Albuquerque schools already have officers at every school. However, they are unarmed. School Board is resisting the idea suggested by the FOP to arm them.
Most disturbing quote " presence of police officers is more important than what they're armed with." I think NOT. An unarmed SWAT Team will have a hard time stopping a crazed gunman hell bent on destruction.

http://www.koat.com/education/10003926/detail.html

VApatriot

imported post

The simple presence of a security guard won't do anything. If you remember the school shooting up in Red Lake, Minnesota not too long ago, the first person shot was the security guard. I don't know if he was armed or not, but either way, just having him there didn't help.

ProguninTN

imported post

The guards should be Armed. Unarmed Security Officers are limited to being good witnesses. Armed Guards may actually be able to neutralize an attack.

ProguninTN

psmartin

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Albuquerque schools already have officers at every school. However, they are unarmed. School Board is resisting the idea suggested by the FOP to arm them.
Most disturbing quote " presence of police officers is more important than what they're armed with." I think NOT. An unarmed SWAT Team will have a hard time stopping a crazed gunman hell bent on destruction.

http://www.koat.com/education/10003926/detail.html

I find this bizarre concept of "NO GUNS = SAFETY" absolutely absurd, but the the vast majority<or maybe just the most vocal> seem to support this.

Guns are one of the few things that strong emotion nullifies all "semblence of reason" in the general public.

We are encouraged to wear seatbelts in case there is an auto-accident, but most things that cause auto accidents are illegal(speeding, drinking, inattention, wrecklessness), so by this logic we are silly to rely on seatbelts, the law will protect us

When is the last time a murder was avoided because the intended victim informed the attacker that MURDER WAS ILLEGAL and carried steep penalties?

Our business hires off-duty police for protection, you can't buy better "defense" than a marked police car parked outside at all times.We expect them to be armed at all times. If we became known for hiring "unarmed officers for safety", I can almost guarenteea robbery.

Maybe we can blame the lawyers.. After all, if someone came onto school grounds with a weapon and ended up being shot, I think it's a pretty good chance that the school system would end up paying millions to the "shooting victim"(who was probably there to rob or murder)... Only in America is this possible!

VAopencarry

imported post

We are encouraged to wear seatbelts in case there is an auto-accident, but most things that cause auto accidents are illegal(speeding, drinking, inattention, wrecklessness), so by this logic we are silly to rely on seatbelts, the law will protect us

Welcome to OCDO!!!

I like that analogy. Take it a step further... In a lot of states it is the law you have to wear a seatbelt while in an automobile, the reason is to protect you from injury. So shouldn't there be a law to be armed to protect yourself from injury when not in a vehicle?