• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Patrick Henry Mall

VAopencarry

imported post

apjonas wrote:
This is incorrect if you mean to expand the statement nationwide. It varies by state but driving (sitting in a car) is not the only time. While some states require only stating your name, others require production of ID. Whether or not these statutes would survive a court challenge is an interesting question but I would not wish to go through the process. At a minimum check what your state requires (if anything) and make your own decision. With regard to OC, if there is a minimum age requirement and you have an appearance that makes it a close call, a request to produce proof of age might be upheld. In Virginia may anyone OC in a restaurant (alcohol restriction) or only those with CC permits?

Desertdoc wrote:
A ID is only required by law when driving. While OCing you need not to have an ID. Thus you can refuse to show or provide one to anyone including a police officer. When CC it is required to have your permit and a photo ID on your person at all times.
This is in the VIRGINIA section!!!! Why would assume desertdoc is stating 'nationwide' law and tell him he is wrong.

VAopencarry

imported post

gdvan01 wrote:
There are some localities/municipalities (in VA but I can't recall which ones at the moment) that have "failure to I.D." laws on the books.
Please cite the appropriate laws to verify this statement.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
gdvan01 wrote:
There are some localities/municipalities (in VA but I can't recall which ones at the moment) that have "failure to I.D." laws on the books.
Please cite the appropriate laws to verify this statement.
ID carry requirements are unconstitutional. Kolender v. Lawson. I have never even heard of a VA locality having any such ordiance on the books.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
While some states require only stating your name, others require production of ID.
Huh? What state statutes? Under what conditions? Generally, a state requirement to have ID is unconstitutional. Kolender v. Lawsen.

At worst, a state might have a statute requiring a person to state their name in a Terry stop (only). Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Circuit of Nevada.

Accordingly, Penalty Flag on the play.