• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSNBC Armed Teacher Poll

smo

imported post

Good post, keep racking the numbers up everyone!

On a side note, my wife is a High School Math Teacher, and has been expressing an interest in getting her CWP permit (UTAH). Although she admits that she may not be ready to carry on a regular basis at this point, she wants the permit! Good first step.

reefteach

imported post

smo wrote:
Good post, keep racking the numbers up everyone!

On a side note, my wife is a High School Math Teacher, and has been expressing an interest in getting her CWP permit (UTAH). Although she admits that she may not be ready to carry on a regular basis at this point, she wants the permit! Good first step.
Are you aware that there is an organization in Utah that will pay for the ccw training of any Utah public school teacher. if you dont know of it, i'll search for you. (I'm a HS teacher as well)

badmonkey

imported post

My take on this is that teachers should be allowed to carry if they have a CCW. People get all up in arms(no pun intended) about teachers carrying but the only ones who actually would would probably be the ones who already carry elsewhere. As far as the first poll on here, I do not believe teachers should be provided with weapons as most of them are untrained and could not responsibly handle a gun, or they would use it irresponsibly (ie, 'Don't smart me off again you little *pulls gun*', which would lead to VERY negative reactions from people(myself included). On the other polls it asks if they should be allowed to and the answer is most definatly yes! Just not provided with guns.

ne1

imported post

I am leery of creating another class of elite defenders (on the government payroll, no less). Recall what happened to LEOs given national CCW with promises that this would open the door for other citizens. Parents deserve the right to defend their children at least as much as any teacher. I say we were all intended to be included in the militia and thus all need to be equally prepared. If we do not all hang together, we will hang seperately.

Bolt06

imported post

badmonkeywrote:
I do not believe teachers should be provided with weapons as most of them are untrained and could not responsibly handle a gun, or they would use it irresponsibly (ie, 'Don't smart me off again you little *pulls gun*', which would lead to VERY negative reactions from people(myself included). On the other polls it asks if they should be allowed to and the answer is most definatly yes! Just not provided with guns.

I fully agree that they shouldn't be issued. but I think thateven the teachersthat don't carry will still have a better leg to stand on with all the students knowing they areable to. If a kid is thinking about doing something stupid, right now they have no opposition (no one else has a weapon) but if they have a thought in the back of there minds that they will be met by opposition.. they might reconsider and choose to fix there problems in a more civilized manor. but I am all for the opportunity that a well trained teacher have the option to carry concealed.

Bolt06

imported post

I still am looking at the same picture you are badmonkey.. I do agree that one screw up can bring a good idea to a screeching halt.. I think they should pull pretty much when there is going to be a situation like everything that has happened in the past two weeks.. can you imagine what would have happened in Colorado if the armed man came into the room as was met by a teacher that was ready.. (what a nice thought:D ) but if the vote comes to PA I will vote for it.. I would even volunteer to teach the other teachers theweapons training that I havegone through..

changing lanes.. what happens right now to a female teacher she carries a handgun in her purse.(or that underskirt thigh holster.. )or a male teacher who keeps one on her person..(ankle.) something no one sees.. but is there if needed. would they honestly fire the teacher if someone came in to kill the students and the teacher "magically" had a gun and shot the intruder.

XD Owner

imported post

My guess, yes they would. She violated school policy, Federal law, sets a bad example to students, etc. School Boards can be pretty asinine you know.

ne1

imported post

Teachers must plant seeds now so that we can all benefit in the future. They need to teach students the true meaning of the second amendment along with all other required topics. Unfortunately, today's lesson plans place more emphasis on teaching students that certain t-shirts are not appropriate for a learning environment.