• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry sources for research paper?

mercutio545

imported post

I'm in a 200-level research class (the final paper has to be 15 pages and 12 sources I believe) at VCU, and my topic, naturally, is gun control. I specifically want to go into open carry and the effect it has on the public opinion, and decreasing crime, etc. Are there any "scholarly" sources that any of you know of that discuss open carrying? Scholarly pretty much means that it involves an authoritative source like an expert on the subject. I'm having a hard time finding them, and my professor is very strict on what is scholarly and what isn't. For example, I couldn't use an interview with my dad, who has been an engineer sergeant (now a team sergeant) with expert infantryman qualification in the US Army Special Forces for the past 18 years as a source for technical stuff. But anyways, any links would be great, thanks!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sorry - I even asked John lott if he had anything on this, but he did not.

OC is kind of a new field in a way - historically, OC was the normal way citizens carried as CC was illegal.

reefteach

imported post

I sympathize with your dilema, but agree that youwill have a hard timefinding "statistics" or "authoritative experts" on open carry specifically. CCW has a great deal of info. The only angleI can suggest is contacting the Brady Bunch because they often cite "no need" for ccw because laws without ccw are fine, which would bring us to "open carry" by default. But then we all know that if he looks at your source, you'll run the risk of failing beause it is not accurate or reliable.

JBTennessee

imported post

I also did a paper about Gun control.

I found this link very helpful, as it cites every statement on it.

For your topic, results of surveyed felons seems the most helpful

* 3/5 of felons polled agreed that "a criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun."[sup]21[/sup]
* 74% of felons polled agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."[sup]22[/sup]
* 57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."[sup]23[/sup]

You should check out the rest of the page

http://www.gunowners.org/sk0802.htm