• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a handgun in a private sale?

mercutio545

imported post

Is there any paperwork that you have to fill out if you purchase a handgun from one of your friends (in a private sale)/or if they give it to you? I would think there would be, so if the handgun were involved in an incident that the previous owner wouldn't be liable. Thanks for clarifying.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NO, not in VA - a private sale should stay, well, private, in my opinion.

But you should post this kind of thread under the state you are in. In VA.

As everybody should know, it is a crime at federal law to transfer a handgun to a person whom you know, or have reason to believe, is not a resident of your state or is a prohibited person.

tattedupboy

imported post

Yes, doing a private sale is that simple. HOWEVER, please be mindful that because the only record of the transaction is whatever record of sale you make, if the person to whom you sell the handgun (or if you're the buyer the person from whom you buy it) commits a crime with the weapon, remember it is to you who the gun will be traced (which is why you should exercise responsibility in private transfers and only buy from or sell to people you know you can trust). In order to cover your tracks in the event the BATFE comes knocking on your door, be sure to make a record of the sale that is signed by both buyer and seller.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

novaccw wrote:
So there are absolutely no stipulations for a private sale other than the discretion of the seller? Is this the same for long guns and handguns?
For Handguns
  • The buyer must be at least 21
  • The buyer must not be a prohibited person
  • The buyer and seller must both be a VA resident
For Long Guns
  • The buyer must be at least 18
  • The buyer must not be a prohibited person
Also, keep in mind that even though there is no legal requirement to document a private sale or purchase, it does make sense to have at least a simple bill of sale in case the firearm is used in a crime or conversely, is stolen, etc.

badmonkey

imported post

jpierce wrote:
For Handguns
  • The buyer must be at least 21
Is this true in all states because I was under the impression that anyone over 18 could own a handgun but could not buy one from a dealer. I am 19 and I own a handgun(which I purchased from a cop btw) and this was how he explained it to me and also how I understand it from reading the laws. Maybe it's an 'east of the border thing' (ie in VA)

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

It varies from state to state. But an FFL can only sell a handgun to a person 21 or older. If your state law allows hangun possession at 18 then you are legal. read up on your specific state statutes. In Illinois although possession may be legal at 18 the law has different exemptions in place for owners 21 yoa than 18-20.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

In most states, you can open carry at 18, and buy in private sales at 18. Also, 21+ folks may buy for you as a bonefide gift from a dealer - no straw man implications to give a gift. If you are working a backroom deal wherein you are paying somebody to buy you the gunthough,that's unlawful at federal law, don't even joke abou it

VApatriot

imported post

Mike wrote:
In most states, you can open carry at 18, and buy in private sales at 18.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that is the how the law is in Virginia.

§ 18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.

A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

This applies to any private sales in Virginia. However, I feel that it is perfectly legal for someone between the ages of 18-21 to have either a parent or sibling over the age of 21purchase a handgun from either an FFL or a private seller, and then legally sell or give it to them.*

*I am certainly not a lawyer, and this should not be considered be to valid legal advise (though I do believe my understanding of the law is correct).

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Mike wrote:
In most states, you can open carry at 18, and buy in private sales at 18.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that is the how the law is in Virginia.

§ 18.2-309. Furnishing certain weapons to minors; penalty.

A. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a dirk, switchblade knife or bowie knife, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity.

This applies to any private sales in Virginia. However, I feel that it is perfectly legal for someone between the ages of 18-21 to have either a parent or sibling over the age of 21purchase a handgun from either an FFL or a private seller, and then legally sell or give it to them.*

*I am certainly not a lawyer, and this should not be considered be to valid legal advise (though I do believe my understanding of the law is correct).
Per §1-207 of Code of VA:
§ 1-207. Child; juvenile; minor; infant.
"Child," "juvenile," "minor," "infant," or any combination thereof means a person less than 18 years of age.
So, §18.2-309 doesn't prevent a private sale or gifting of a firearm to a 18 yo.

mercutio545

imported post

All these different answers and opinions are confusing me.

I'm 19 and I bought a handgun off of a friend of mine who is over 21. I'm 100% ok with doing that, no laws are being broken, and I can openly carry it, correct?

badmonkey

imported post

To my knowledge you are correct. At least I sure hope so, being 19 myself, I am in the same boat as you but I am 99.9% sure you are correct. This is the way it was explained to me by a friend who is a LEO.