Thread: Texas OC holster?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I found this holster and thought it might be an option for Texas pseudo open carry.
    Still trying to figure if opening the flap will make it legal for restaurant carry in Virginia.

Post imported post

longwatch, do you think people would recognize it as a holster ? It reminds me of a handcuff case. Although, I think I see your line of thinking. If people do not know it is a holster, I suppose TX's concealment requirement may be met. If the flap is open, one could see the gun which wouldsatisfy VA's restaurant laws.

ProguninTN

Post imported post

Is it a recognizable holster? Thats the $64,000 question. I think closed it would be CC in Virginia, open it might be OC but the visible from 3 directions rule of thumb might get ya. It looks like anything but a container for a gun, especially considering the size of the firearms its designed for (P32, Berretta Tomcat, etc). I'll put it this way, I wouldn't carry in that holster without a CHP.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

I like how you think Longwatch.

if Texans start carrying in a recognizable concealed holster, then the whole decriminalization of OC in TX debate will be pretty funny, won't it?

Post imported post

What about Arizona? Arizona law clearly specifies that in order for the weapon not to be considered concealed, only a portion of the holster has to be visible. As far as I can tell, the law does not say anything about whether or not it is recognizable as a holster, only whether or not the holster is visible.

Post imported post

Kudos to Longwatch for his Machiavellian thinking! I seem to recall a thread about flap holsters of various kinds a while ago, but this one is a real winner! I think that it would be an interesting way to carry in Texas!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

They shouldn't stop with mouse guns. I'd like to see a LARGE leather container for a 1911 or Beretta 92, something clearly too big and angular to hold a cell phone, camera, etc. If it is advertized widely in the media, everyone will know what it is for, but the firearm will still be legally "concealed". Imagine 50,000 Texans walking around with these everyday! Indeed, the anti's in the legislature would have a fit over this one. Perhaps they'd mandate a sticker to be worn, saying "there is no firearm inside this non-holster" just to reassure the masses.

Post imported post

There is a similar concept in the "Safepacker". It is made of nylon instead of leather, but it can holster even a large frame handgun. Ive been considering buying this for my situation here in California...

New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

I'm thinking the way to test my theory is that someone needs to get a mufti or safepacker holster and do some empty holster trial runs around town to see if they get any reaction.

Post imported post

Try this. Get the holster and carry a pad of paper in it or a slim cell phone. If anyone asks, just show what you carry in it. If any cops give you a hard time, well, it is just a cell phone after all.

Post imported post

gsh341 wrote:
    Try this. Get the holster and carry a pad of paper in it or a slim cell phone. If anyone asks, just show what you carry in it. If any cops give you a hard time, well, it is just a cell phone after all.
    That is what I just did in my trip to PA! I carried my cell phone in my holster. I had a few people ask me about it and I got to inform some PA residents about thier rights.

The man working the desk is applying for his CCW next week - and I will be mailing my Out of State Tuesday.