• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas OC holster?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I found this holster and thought it might be an option for Texas pseudo open carry.
Still trying to figure if opening the flap will make it legal for restaurant carry in Virginia.
mufti1.jpg
mufti3.jpg

ProguninTN

imported post

longwatch, do you think people would recognize it as a holster ? It reminds me of a handcuff case. Although, I think I see your line of thinking. If people do not know it is a holster, I suppose TX's concealment requirement may be met. If the flap is open, one could see the gun which wouldsatisfy VA's restaurant laws.

ProguninTN

longwatch

imported post

Is it a recognizable holster? Thats the $64,000 question. I think closed it would be CC in Virginia, open it might be OC but the visible from 3 directions rule of thumb might get ya. It looks like anything but a container for a gun, especially considering the size of the firearms its designed for (P32, Berretta Tomcat, etc). I'll put it this way, I wouldn't carry in that holster without a CHP.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I like how you think Longwatch.

if Texans start carrying in a recognizable concealed holster, then the whole decriminalization of OC in TX debate will be pretty funny, won't it?

tattedupboy

imported post

What about Arizona? Arizona law clearly specifies that in order for the weapon not to be considered concealed, only a portion of the holster has to be visible. As far as I can tell, the law does not say anything about whether or not it is recognizable as a holster, only whether or not the holster is visible.

TrueBrit

imported post

Kudos to Longwatch for his Machiavellian thinking! I seem to recall a thread about flap holsters of various kinds a while ago, but this one is a real winner! I think that it would be an interesting way to carry in Texas!

TrueBrit.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]They shouldn't stop with mouse guns. I'd like to see a LARGE leather container for a 1911 or Beretta 92, something clearly too big and angular to hold a cell phone, camera, etc. If it is advertized widely in the media, everyone will know what it is for, but the firearm will still be legally "concealed". Imagine 50,000 Texans walking around with these everyday! Indeed, the anti's in the legislature would have a fit over this one. Perhaps they'd mandate a sticker to be worn, saying "there is no firearm inside this non-holster" just to reassure the masses.
[/align]

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

There is a similar concept in the "Safepacker". It is made of nylon instead of leather, but it can holster even a large frame handgun. Ive been considering buying this for my situation here in California...

zip567.jpg

longwatch

imported post

I'm thinking the way to test my theory is that someone needs to get a mufti or safepacker holster and do some empty holster trial runs around town to see if they get any reaction.

gsh341

imported post

Try this. Get the holster and carry a pad of paper in it or a slim cell phone. If anyone asks, just show what you carry in it. If any cops give you a hard time, well, it is just a cell phone after all.

possumboy

imported post

gsh341 wrote:
Try this. Get the holster and carry a pad of paper in it or a slim cell phone. If anyone asks, just show what you carry in it. If any cops give you a hard time, well, it is just a cell phone after all.

That is what I just did in my trip to PA! I carried my cell phone in my holster. I had a few people ask me about it and I got to inform some PA residents about thier rights.

The man working the desk is applying for his CCW next week - and I will be mailing my Out of State Tuesday.