• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Myspace?

D

Desertdoc

imported post

With the growth of myspace.com I was wondering why there isn’t a VCDL site on there. Any thoughts of maybe a account of there? I think this would be a great place to have some 2[suP]nd[/suP] amendment supporters on.

mattjohnston87

imported post

That is a good idea, IMO.

Many young folks (like myself) browse there on somewhat of a regular basis. It would be a great platform to get the 2A word out.

Matt

(I know, I don't live in VA, but I appreciate what you guys do)

darrel_h

imported post

i was actually wondering the same thing myself. i've searched on there for anything oc and have found nothing. i found 1 group dedicated to cc and that's it. no vcdl, no open carry group. if anyone hears of anything starting up let me know, i'm on there fairly often.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think its a good idea too. It's one way to get our message out and its free.

longwatch

imported post

I seconded the idea to VCDL. In the meantime why doesn't OCDO have a myspace page?

Bolt06

imported post

I am all for it .. I can probably get some more people into that too. I am a myspace junky..

just post the link up on OC.org and I will find it.. good call Desertdoc

VAopencarry

imported post

[ducking]I guess I will take the, it's a bad idea view. The myspace idea sounds like a invitation for Trolls. A lot of immature folks ThAt TypE LIkE tHis on MySpace. [still ducking]:D

TEX1N

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
[ducking]I guess I will take the, it's a bad idea view. The myspace idea sounds like a invitation for Trolls. A lot of immature folks ThAt TypE LIkE tHis on MySpace. [still ducking]:D
I would tend to agree, from what I have seen it is a very immature audience.

I'm not saying that I would be completely against it, you just have to know what you are up against.

longwatch

imported post

It would require someone to maintain it. If you can't turn off comments you can sure delete them. Last I checked Myspace.com is one of the top 5 visited sites on the internet. I think grabbing a space with our name on it is also good insurance against the antis from doing it. Our side has done it to them, they may be looking for payback.
http://www.myspace.com/nationalrifleassociation I'm not sure this is official, looks too poorly done.

VAopencarry

imported post

OK, I don't know anything about 'blogging' and MySpace but I reserved 'OpenCarry'. Anyone want to manage it lemme know. If not, I will, but it will take some time for me to figure it all out.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know jack about Myspace or starting blogs, but I'll ask my youngest daughter about it and she will probably have some suggestions. Later....

VAopencarry

imported post

:) I was thinking I'd have my teenage daughter 'fix it up' but I won't be seeing her for 2 weeks. I have been messing with it. Frankly, it has too much crap, it seems it is designed more for drivel then any serious information exchange. I am still trying to figure it out.

VAopencarry

imported post

I officially have a headache. So how would one actually find a blog on MySpace? I searched the term 'guns' and open carry'. I scrolled through 15-20 pages of results and never found a page relating to guns in any way shape or form. Except for a couple bands with gun in the name.

Myspacer's, clue me in please. :D

Bolt06

imported post

I am not sure but I think that you can block who you don't want to add.. also you can set an age limit.. along with that.. the comments aren't allowed to be posted anymore without the site admin reviewing and allowing each comment to be posted on the main page..

they are coming a long way to make the site better.. but OC.org might be ahead of the appropriate changes that need to be made to myspace..

possumboy

imported post

Maybe a team of people to check and update...

I took a quick look at this today and setup my own. I remember reading about some serious privacy issues revolving about myspace. It was a news article talking about a college student who was questioned about entries on his myspace even though it was marked Private (friends only).

Myspace revolves around getting friends and making entries about "things". You should check the new messages to look for friends and work on getting out there by searching for other that have carry related issues in thier profiles.

I see a few issue with this, many of the profiles are not really worried about rights, just what they can shoot. Maybe adding yourself as a friend will help educate them.

What can/should be included. Links to OCDO, VCDL, and maybe a few others. Statement of rights. Wording of the 2nd and 14th amendment.Yes, I believe civil rights is important to keeping the 2nd amendment. Look at the history, one of the deciding factors to accepting the 14th amendment was disarming of American citizens by authorities. I also think the entire constitution should be linked to, included somehow.

Heroes could be George Washington, Thomas Jefferson...

That is where I would start...

possumboy

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I officially have a headache. So how would one actually find a blog on MySpace? I searched the term 'guns' and open carry'. I scrolled through 15-20 pages of results and never found a page relating to guns in any way shape or form. Except for a couple bands with gun in the name.

Myspacer's, clue me in please. :D
http://www.myspace.com/OpenCarry

357luvr

imported post

Please add 'Good Ole Gary' as one of the friends, that's me. I'm willing to do some work on or help someone with the myspace page if help is needed or wanted. Message me anytime.

longwatch

imported post

I was just playing around with myspace and saw that we can also create groups. I took the liberty of setting up an Open Carry group. The advantage to a group page is that it allows for forums. Like we need another one. http://groups.myspace.com/OpenCarry
[sup]Still might need some work bear with me.[/sup]

darrel_h

imported post

ok, so i've requested "friendship" of opencarry, but when i try to access the group it won't let me. it tells me it's a private group and that i have to be invited, or something like that. that was from clicking on the link in this forum. when i try to search for it in myspace groups, it doesn't even come up. let me know what's up with it. thanks.