• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saturday in Washington

adrock

imported post

Hi folks,

New poster. In the last few days I carried in both King and Snohomish counties. First was Mi Tierra, a Mexican eatery in Monroe. No problems. Today includinged Dixie's BBQ in Bellevue, and for more than an hour at The Home Depot in Woodinville.

Nobody seemed to notice, or care. No police calls, no fleeing people in terror, no Wild-West shootouts, etc. One guy at Home Depot said "Are you an off-duty cop?" He ostensibly was talking to me, but didn't do anything to get my attention first, and I was already walking away from him, so I just kept walking, and he didn't push the issue.

All in all I'm happy with OC in WA so far. Perhaps eventually I'll work up the stones to go to downtown Seattle. :) I'm concerned that you might be detained/arrested for "alarming the sheep", though. Any thoughts on that issue would be welcomed.

--adrock

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Adrock,
First, you should check the local laws to make sure there is no local ordinance against OC. Second, you should be neatly dressed, pleasant, and studiously polite. If you slink around looking uncomfortable and furtive, you will give the wrong message to the public. Third, you might think through how you will respond to questions about OC (check out the threads on this, especially in the Virginia section). Fourth, if you are stopped by a LEO, be very businesslike in your responses, explaining your understanding of the legality of your behavior (again, some of the other threads can be very helpful). Don't argue or become irritable. That way "disorderly conduct" or "disturbing the peace" charges will be unsustainable. There are no laws saying "exercizing a right that upsets the sheep" is objectionable.

Enjoy and stay positive!!

norahc

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Adrock,
First, you should check the local laws to make sure there is no local ordinance against OC. Second, you should be neatly dressed, pleasant, and studiously polite. If you slink around looking uncomfortable and furtive, you will give the wrong message to the public. Third, you might think through how you will respond to questions about OC (check out the threads on this, especially in the Virginia section). Fourth, if you are stopped by a LEO, be very businesslike in your responses, explaining your understanding of the legality of your behavior (again, some of the other threads can be very helpful). Don't argue or become irritable. That way "disorderly conduct" or "disturbing the peace" charges will be unsustainable. There are no laws saying "exercizing a right that upsets the sheep" is objectionable.

Enjoy and stay positive!!
Dutch Uncle,

WA state is FULLY pre-empted at the state level with one of the better pre-emption statues I have ever seen although the brandishing statue leaves something to be desired. OC is completely legal in WA because it is not specifically prohibited.

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.