Thread: OC while weapon is loaded?

Post imported post

It would seem silly not to, right?

Or am I supposed to carry my pistol unloaded, in plain view for all to see to be legal?

I had a wife of a former LEO say that she and her husband were talking about OC because my wife brought it up to her. He said while OC is legal here (MT), you have to do so with no ammo in the magazine. If I carry it loaded, he says I can be charged with something, but the wife of the LEO could not remember what he said.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
    Matt

Post imported post

Carrying an unloaded pistol is just stupid in my opinion. Carrying an unloaded weapon of any kind is just like carrying an expensive rock and just as useful.

I always carry with the weapon loaded and one in the chamber. I have a Springfield XD-40 Service, so there is no manual safety unless you count the grip, trigger and pin safety. And I feel completely safe doing so.

Post imported post

Only if you're Barney Fife. Otherwise, as has been said, it's pretty silly to carry unloaded.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mattjohnston87 wrote:
    I had a wife of a former LEO say that she and her husband were talking about OC because my wife brought it up to her. He said while OC is legal here (MT), you have to do so with no ammo in the magazine.
    Wrong - see MT state page and check the MT statute yourself after that,

44 states do not criminalize all open carry - most states do not even require a permit to open carry.

Post imported post

gsh341 wrote:
    Carrying an unloaded pistol is just stupid in my opinion. Carrying an unloaded weapon of any kind is just like carrying an expensive rock and just as useful.
    gsh341 is correct, and in my opinion, stating it a bit too mildly. It is stupid because an unloaded weapon can get you killed. Everyone will assume it is loaded, so let's not disappoint them. And when I say "everyone" I include "bad guys." If someone intends to do you harm they will not be easier on you because you "might be carrying unloaded." Oneought not to goout armed just to show off one's weapon. You must be 1) ready, 2) able, and 3) willing, to use a weapon otherwise there's little point in having it. An unloaded firearm is not a "ready" firearm. Poker is the time totry abluff, not agunfight.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I totally agree with everything said here. If I want to carry, it is gonna be loaded, BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH LAW THAT SAYS OTHERWISE.

Matt

Post imported post

Always