• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County

G20-IWB24/7

[strike]Sportsman's Warehouse (or whatever they're called now) [/strike] Wholesale Sports in Silverdale will be holding two Utah Non-resident Concealed Firearm Permit classes. Thursday the 8th from 4pm to 8pm and Sunday the 11th from 11am to 2:30pm. The Utah permit gets you 30 states (they claim). The fee is $75 for the class, and does not include the other $65 in federal and state fees, so it'll cost you $140 total, and there's a [strike]10%[/strike] $10 military discount. I'm flying to Utah the 11th (ironically) so I'm leaning strongly towards taking the Thursday class.

If you're flying to Utah to be in Utah, then your WA CPL is recognized while you're there. There is a "duty to inform" LEOs of your armed-status when you have any official contact with them (e.g. traffic stop) but other than that you're good. Have fun!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If you're flying to Utah to be in Utah, then your WA CPL is recognized while you're there. There is a "duty to inform" LEOs of your armed-status when you have any official contact with them (e.g. traffic stop) but other than that you're good. Have fun!

If you have a WA CPL, you have 23 states... if you pick up a Utah then it adds about 8 more states (mostly in the South East and Mid West). I have never done Utah, because of the expense to add just a few states that I never travel too....

amlevin

If you have a WA CPL, you have 23 states... if you pick up a Utah then it adds about 8 more states (mostly in the South East and Mid West). I have never done Utah, because of the expense to add just a few states that I never travel too....

I've always been a little amused by those who get as many permits as possible and then never travel out of state.;);) For some it seems to be merely a case of "look what I have".

Not putting down those that actually need or foresee travel in effected states, just amused by the "collectors" that will never travel more than one or two counties away from their home. Have a family member that fits that category.

Mainsail

I'm not taking the class because I'm going to Utah, I was going to take the Thursday class because I will be flying on Sunday. I won't be taking a gun this time around because I'll be staying on Hill AFB. And it's doubtful that 'fun' is in the equation. ;)

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

As of about a year and a half ago there is no longer a duty to inform LEOs in Utah.

IMHO Nevada is a much better permit to get it gets you most of what Utah gets you. Remember Nevada no longer honers Utah's permit.

amlevin

Huh, that's news to me! Thanks! Can you cite us a reference of the change?

Here is a current quote from the Utah Department of Public Safety's FAQ's

If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer may assume you are carrying the gun illegally and may take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is recommended to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Huh, that's news to me! Thanks! Can you cite us a reference of the change?

There is no Utah law to cite because there is no longer a law to notify LEOs that you are armed. Here are two references.

http://www.usacarry.com/utah_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

The law changed about the same time Utah allowed loaded handguns in a vehicle with out a permit year year and a half ago. I travel thru Utah several times per year and try to keep up on the currrent laws because I normally OC in Utah.

Thanks Levin

Last edited:

Vitaeus

Question relating to Kitsap county, not that the UTAH discussion wasn't interesting and informative, anyone going to either of the festivals in Port Orchard or Bremerton, today?

Last edited: