• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lanyards?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

As retention is an issue with open carry, has anyone considered or used a pistol lanyard. When I was in the service I have seen them used regularly, but I have used one only when I CCW while running. Any opinions pro or con?

longwatch

imported post

I have made my own out of shock cord, and have bought Keltecs lanyard kit for my P3AT.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have thought about getting a Glock lanyard for my 23. I have not done so yet because I thought it might look a little like those silly wallet chains! I suppose I coude tuck the extra length into my back pocket.

highresimage

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I lose a retention fight for my pistol I don't want my fat happy a$$ then attached to that pistol and the BG who now is in posession of it. I want to free to run far away and dive behind a stone wall.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
You can probably put a breakaway on the lanyard in that event.
But then how is that going to help with retention? I've never used a lanyard or had any retention training involving a lanyard so I just don't know how that would work.

longwatch

imported post

There is retention in the gun grab sense and retention in case its dropped or the user gets tackled or something. I'd think a lanyard could be useful in either but more so in the latter case.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Also, in CQC, you run the risk of the gun being knocked from your hand. A lanyard would keep it from flying across the room and give you chance to regain control of the weapon. I personally don't use one, but I can see the merit in it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

you do realize the lanyard attatches to the user's wrist, right?
Not sure what type of lanyard you're using. Most pistol lanyards attach to the belt, and are stretchy. We also used these during deployment, and were taught retention techniques. You'd be suprised how easy it is to snap your gun out of the BG's hands with your lanyard. Even if they do manage to hold on to it, it's very difficult for them to aim and shoot when you're pulling on the gun with the lanyard, plus they can't get away with your gun.

I own a lanyard from deployment, and while I've considered using it for daily carry, I never have. The threat of losing my sidearm just doesn't seem to warrant it for myself. I'd probably use my lanyard if I was hiking or hunting.

An interesting idea that just came to mind is a lanyard that is attached to something that, when removed, renders the gun useless. The benefit would be that if someone DID get your gun, all you'd have to do is pull your lanyard and voila, gun no go bang. The draw-back would be that someone could theoretically grab your lanyard and disable your gun if they knew what they were doing.

Thoughts?

unrequited

imported post

I would only buy/use a lanyard for hiking-type excursions. I'm not expecting to get in a tussle while holstered, and I'd never draw and then walk into CQB range. If I'm ever in a life/death position of having to draw from CQB, then it's hipfires to persuade the attacker to back away, or at least down.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been thinking about this a bit. There just aren't many modern pistols with mounting points for a lanyard out there in the civilian market. This use just can't be very common.

Marco

imported post

There just aren't many modern pistols with mounting points for a lanyard out there in the civilian market.

:?
Glocks have a hole at the base of the grip that I believe was designed as a lanyard hole

As do older 1911, modern ones offer a option that allows the use of a lanyard with a replacement mainspring housing.

Sigs have a lanyard hole as well.

The HK P2000 has a lanyard hole as well.

EDIT:
Pics removed everyone got the point.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
There just aren't many modern pistols with mounting points for a lanyard out there in the civilian market.
:?
Glocks have a hole at the base of the grip that I believe was designed as a lanyard hole

As do older 1911, modern ones offer a option that allows the use of a lanyard with a replacement mainspring housing.

Kind of hard to see from this pic but Sigs have a lanyard hole as well.

The HK P2000 has a lanyard hole as well.
That may be a lanyard mounting point on the Glock. I never thought about it's purpose and just wrote it off to an artifact from molding. 1911s while certainly, as you point out, have the option to be configured for a lanyard, the vast majority of them I see do not have this feature. I know at least some of the Sig "P" series have the lanyard hole build into the stock grips but from the few examples I have seen and judging by pictures, I don't think any of the wood grip models do. I wasn't aware of the H&K having it but I am not surprised. It appears from photos, that the P99s have a hole in the back of the grip that may be for that purpose as well. The XDs don't have one. Meh, I'll concede it is probably more prolific than I was thinking.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yep, the P99/SW99's do have a lanyard attachment point. it's actually the pin that holds the grip insert in, but it is specifically described as a lanyard point as well. M9's (beretta) have them too, of course.