• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lanyards?

FightingGlock19

imported post

DreQo wrote:
you do realize the lanyard attatches to the user's wrist, right?
Not sure what type of lanyard you're using. Most pistol lanyards attach to the belt, and are stretchy.
that's part of why I edited my reply to, "nm." I spoke out of turn & said to myself, "geeze, maybe I haven't looked into lanyards enough to make a comment here. I'm just glad you were so fast with the reply button :p

Anyway, in a defencive situation (no "if's" just going along the lines that it's going to be a good shoot), why let the bg close enough to let him get a hand on your weapon? The handgun was drawn, showing you felt the need for use of deadly force. If the bad guy's still coming, then why haven't you shot him in the face, yet?

If the gun was "grabbed" by a bad guy coming from behind, it shows a need to increase situational awareness.

Anyway ...whatever you decide, man, it's cool with me :cool:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

One could say that the BG should never be close enough to get your weapon. This, of course, depends on the fact that it's a western style shoot-out and there's no one else around. In a real situation you may very well have random people around you. Someone may just swipe at your gun because they're trying to be a hero and don't know what the hell is going on.

I've already said I don't personally think there's a high enough risk to warrant a lanyard during normal activities. To say that you're just plainwrong if a BG gets close enough to warrant the lanyard, though, is in and of itself wrong.

Sheldon

imported post

Although my HK has a place for one, I have never practicedwith one and with my luck in a SHTF scenarioI would likely get tangled up in it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good and bad points, depending on your perspective: a lanyard can be used as a garrot. Personally, a handgun lanyard does not fit into the image I wish to project - just more unusual hardware. Also LEOs do not seem to feel the necessity of utilizing them - at least not in this country.

Now a short loop of cord on my knife is a different story - one that I am considering.

Yata hey

Sheldon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Good and bad points, depending on your perspective: a lanyard can be used as a garrot. Personally, a handgun does not fit into the image I wish to project - just more unusual hardware. Also LEOs do not seem to feel the necessity of utilizing them - at least not in this country.

Now a short loop of cord on my knife is a different story - one that I am considering.

Yata hey
Not a real bad idea, I lost a nice Kershaw a couple of years back, if I had a cord on it, itmight not have gone missing.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Good and bad points, depending on your perspective: a lanyard can be used as a garrot. Personally, a handgun does not fit into the image I wish to project - just more unusual hardware. Also LEOs do not seem to feel the necessity of utilizing them - at least not in this country.

Yata hey

A handgun does not fit into the image you wish to project? I think I'm confused :D.

I also think it is interesting that LEO's DON'T utilize them. I guess it stands that the possibility of losing control of your handgun is actually very low, and proper holsters and retention techniques have sufficed thus far.

No one has commented on my idea abouta lanyard that could disable the firearm. My theory is that a pin would be integrated into the firearm design. When the pin is removed, the firearm cannot function. The firearm comes with two pins. One sits flush with the frame, and can onlybe removed with a tool or punch. The other has a lanyard attachment. With the lanyard attached, the user would simply have to yank on the cord if someone else gains control of the weapon, removing the pin and rendering the gunuseless.

I don't think this would be necessary for every-day defensive carry, but I think it would be valuable in environments where the risk of a gun-snatch is much higher, like law enforcement and military. Thats why you'd have the option of a lanyard pin or a flush pin.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Good and bad points, depending on your perspective: a lanyard can be used as a garrot. Personally, a handgun lanyard does not fit into the image I wish to project - just more unusual hardware. Also LEOs do not seem to feel the necessity of utilizing them - at least not in this country.

Yata hey

A handgun does not fit into the image you wish to project? I think I'm confused :D.
I was confused too - left out the word lanyard - have corrected that now.:)

Yata hey

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I have a leather one which is pictured here:

http://webideas.com/tokarev/images/attack.gif

...it came with my Tokarev TTC pistol (which is my OC gun).

ZA RODINU! (за родину!)

;)

-- John D.
You OC a TT33? SWEET! That is high up on my next gun to buy list. I want the one without the goofy add on safety, Polish IIRC. Don't understand why all the ones in the country right now aren't C&R..

Steve

Tomahawk

imported post

A lanyard has never crossed my mind.

I prefer to carry as little junk around as possible. Essentials include wallet, car keys, maybe whatever pocket change I have. To that I add a small pen knife and a pistol, usually with a spare magazine.

That's already enough stuff. I like to be able to get my hands into all my pants pockets, and I don't like things hanging off my person. I can see a lanyard getting tangled up in stuff, sticking a seatbelt through it, getting it caught on doorknobs, bushes, etc.

Since my postol has no lanyard eyelet, the heck with it. I suppose they were useful to a cavalryman or something.

DreQuo's idea is interesting, kind of like a "mechanical smart gun". I actually think smart gun technology is interesting, but it's always presented to us in a threatening manner by antis who want to mandate it, so I avoid it. Plus I would have to see it thoroughly tested to be reliable before I would ever think of buying into it. A mechanical, non-electronic version sounds more reliable and less susceptible to remote disabling.

Thundar

imported post

I used one with my survival pistol when I flew. It ensured that a vitally important survival tool was not lost. Now that I am older and wiser I find the carry of a BUG much more practical.

Yodaforce

imported post

I believe some basic self defense training would be a better investment. If you have to fend off an attacker that is RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU, drawing your weapon is not the best route. You should know some techniques that would allow you to fend off the attack enough to gain enough distance between you and your assailant that would allow you to properly draw your weapon. If you get your weapon knocked out of your hand, then perhaps you had your hand too far out from you. Practice a 'block and rock' technique where you would block the attackers advance with your weak hand, shift your weight back onto your strong side ,giving just enough room to draw your weapon out but onlyas far asyour belt line (keeping it against your body). Look into it. A pistol leash is only for combat situations and would probably only get tangled or in the way when the SHTF.

thnycav

imported post

The lanyard comes in handy if you do come off your horse. You will not lose it. It is also comes in handy if you have to go through thick vegetation. If it falls out of the holster it will be hanging by your side. Yes you will be humbled with it hanging there but you will still have your handgun. It was not designed to be used to keep it away fro BGs.

Attachments

• _40120417_horse2pa.jpg
    _40120417_horse2pa.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 129