• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employer Vehicle Searches??

docwatson

imported post

Navy Federal's internal policy is that I would not be allowed to have a firearm in my vehicle (or smoke a cigar in my car) on company property. Are they allowed to search my vehicle?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IANAL, etc., but I'm pretty sure they have no authority to search your car against your wishes unless omeone with law enforcement authority has probably cause. However, some employers will say as a part of the employment contract that you can be fired if you refuse to voluntarily allow your vehicle to be searched.

molonlabetn

imported post

If it's anything like the Air-Force, they can inspect anything coming in, already in, or leavingthe gate any way they want to, anddetainthose from entering/leaving who refuse. It would behard to work somewhereif they won't let you in...

molonlabetn

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

How's this for draconian? Bolding mine.

{{The possession of weapons in the workplace by employees, contractors, suppliers, and visitors of xxxxis prohibited, except in the case of authorized personnel under xxxx, Arming of Plant Protection Officers and Other Designated Individuals, authorized armored car service personnel, or law enforcement personnel in the conduct of official business. There are no other exceptions, even for weapons that are properly registered or licensed or for weapons carried by individuals with valid concealed carry permits. Except for authorized personnel underxxxx employees are prohibited from storing weapons in vehicles on company premises or carrying them while conducting company business.}}

{{Employees have the responsibility to report immediately any violation or suspected violation of this policy by any Lockheed Martin employee, contractor, supplier, customer, or visitor to their immediate supervisors, to local Human Resources management, or to Security. In cases involving physical violence or attempted physical violence, attempted abduction or hostage taking, threatening another with a weapon, or other imminent danger, employees must contact Security and/or local law enforcement (call 911 or other direct number for law enforcement emergency response).}}

{{Human Resources will conduct investigations of suspected violations of this policy and disciplinary adjudications under the policy and may consult with Security, cognizant management, or the Case Management Team. Management will participate in investigations if requested and in disciplinary adjudications of employees suspected of violation of this policy. Employees are required to cooperate in such investigations. Failure to cooperate or providing false information is grounds for severe discipline, up to and including termination from employment. All final disciplinary decisions on conduct alleged to be in violation of this policy will be reviewed and approved by the element's senior Human Resources executive, whether or not a violation is found}}

TEX1N

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
IANAL, etc., but I'm pretty sure they have no authority to search your car against your wishes unless omeone with law enforcement authority has probably cause. However, some employers will say as a part of the employment contract that you can be fired if you refuse to voluntarily allow your vehicle to be searched.
That ishow I understand it. However, remember that in order for law enforcement to search your car they must have probable cause that a crime is being committed. If you are violating a company police but not breaking the law, the police would not havethe authority to search anything. IANAL

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Mike wrote:
Whose policy is this?
From the links and the reference in the policy it looks to be Lockheed Martin. Or afterreading that we shouldsay: The People's Republic of Lockheed Martin :banghead:

FWIW, Lockheed Martin had an employee open fire and kill several employees a few years ago with guns. Never mind that the gunman taunted, harrassed, humilated, etc his fellow employees (some of whom were killed). Supposedly, the gunman was reported the harrassment to management who basically did nothing and let the situation get out of hand.

Interest note, starting 1/1/2007, LM is banning the use of tobacco products on company property. The new policy covers employee vehicles parked on company property. The definition of company property includes leased space and space provided on government installations in addition to directly owned property. The new policy further states that standard employee punishment methods will be used to enforce the policy -- to include termination. On the positive side, they are providing tobacco cessation assistance to any employees.

In case you couldn't tell, I work for Lockheed Martin but at a client site. This client has lots of interaction with the general public. The client bans employee weapons but doesn't forbid the general public/customers from carrying. This is particularly discouraging since they transact a lot of money, often cash, with said customers and, by nature of the business, irrate customers are not uncommon.