Thread: Started Open Carrying, joined VCDL

Post imported post

I've recently started open-carrying around my neck of the woods in Reston, VA. Been to about 4-5 restaurants open-carrying, and wherever I go next I don't bother concealing after that. I have the Virginia concealed carry permit, and my Utah permit is on the way.

I read that article in the Washington Post about a lot of hassle people are getting in the Reston area for open-carrying, so I figured it was high time to join the VCDL, so that they can cite me as a member if I get questioned by the police. I'm sure if I get hassled and my firearm taken away, that as a member, VCDL will help me get a new house courtesy of the state.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

bigtuna wrote:
    I read that article in the Washington Post about a lot of hassle people are getting in the Reston area for open-carrying
    That was over 2 years ago - as a result of active open cariers like yourself, the public, press, and police havebeen educated about the legality and frankly "non-eventfullness" of open carry.

That does not mean that the story is the same in every corner of VA - as we saw in Staunton, VA this year (see thread), there are some government officials that need some ejukatin'.

And that's where OCDO members come in - actively exercising a valuable right so that it shall be preserved.

The corollary to "A right unexercised is a right lost," is "A right actively exercised is a right gained."

Post imported post

BigTuna,
    Welcome to OCDO, and congratualtions on joining VCDL. Let me suggest you try making it to the next NoVa dinner meeting. It helps a lot to talk to like-minded people in your area, and its a lot of fun to boot!

Post imported post

bigtuna, welcome to OCDO!

I second Dutch Uncle on the meet-ups. The VCDL meetings can also be entertaining.