• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Started Open Carrying, joined VCDL

bigtuna

imported post

I've recently started open-carrying around my neck of the woods in Reston, VA. Been to about 4-5 restaurants open-carrying, and wherever I go next I don't bother concealing after that. I have the Virginia concealed carry permit, and my Utah permit is on the way.

I read that article in the Washington Post about a lot of hassle people are getting in the Reston area for open-carrying, so I figured it was high time to join the VCDL, so that they can cite me as a member if I get questioned by the police. I'm sure if I get hassled and my firearm taken away, that as a member, VCDL will help me get a new house courtesy of the state.:D

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bigtuna wrote:
I read that article in the Washington Post about a lot of hassle people are getting in the Reston area for open-carrying
That was over 2 years ago - as a result of active open cariers like yourself, the public, press, and police havebeen educated about the legality and frankly "non-eventfullness" of open carry.

That does not mean that the story is the same in every corner of VA - as we saw in Staunton, VA this year (see thread), there are some government officials that need some ejukatin'.

And that's where OCDO members come in - actively exercising a valuable right so that it shall be preserved.

The corollary to "A right unexercised is a right lost," is "A right actively exercised is a right gained."

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigTuna,
Welcome to OCDO, and congratualtions on joining VCDL. Let me suggest you try making it to the next NoVa dinner meeting. It helps a lot to talk to like-minded people in your area, and its a lot of fun to boot!