• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho baby sitter kills black bear

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://dwb.heraldonline.com/24hour/weird/story/3393505p-12477395c.html

A black bear came into the back yard where 3 toddlers were playing during a BBQ. The babysitter scoops the kids up and gets them into the house. She then retrieved and loaded a 7mm rifle and as the bear was pawing at the back door she shot it twice and killed it. The babysitter did have a valid bear tag.

Good shoot as far as I'm concerned.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i know this is old.

but would that be considered self defense or hunting? lol.

(noting that the person had a bear tag)

in all seriousness though,glad the kids are OK

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If she was in a legal zone to hunt, both. If she wasn't, IE in a zone too close to xxxx, i would think it would be self defense.

If it was considered self defense only, i wonder if she would get to keep the bear.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Somebody needs to report this to the child welfare agency for child endangerment. Clearly, the sitter used the kids as bait to draw the bear out of hiding so she could get herself a bear.

Lazy hunting if you ask me.

:uhoh:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Somebody needs to report this to the child welfare agency for child endangerment. Clearly, the sitter used the kids as bait to draw the bear out of hiding so she could get herself a bear.

Funny: Yes!!

But it could also be very sad at the same time
because I could see her getting charged with illegal baiting and hunting techniques in some states!! Northern IL& Southern WI comes to mind.

Many years ago, the WIDNR ticketed a young man for fishing without a valid license, Keeping an undersized fish, and illegal angling techniques when he showed up at a hospital with a Muskellunge (Musky) clamped down on his foot so hard the doctors were forced to cut the jaws off the fish to remove it from his foot. nearly 70 sutures were required to close the wounds.

He and his girlfriend were floating in a lake, in a canoe, and he had a foot dangling out in the water. The fish thought it was some sort of food, clamped on and refused to let go.

Te newspaper article is hanging at a few taverns northwest of me, I'll see if I can find it on the web too. This happened 20 some years ago, before the DNR was calmed down from their typical ways.

okboomer

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

ROFLOL! ROFLMAO! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Hope she gets to keep the bear and the tag :lol:

lil_freak_66

imported post

since9 wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Female babysitter with a bear tag? neato.
I'd date her!

Just so long as she looks better than the bear...

dont make that comment around her,she might do you like she did the bear!

and you dont wanna be the rug in front of the fire place do ya?