• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Holster W/ Jacket

357luvr

imported post

I just got notice that I've been approved for a CHP and was looking at possible options for CC. The only options I have for my Sig 229 is either a paddle holster that prints like crazy or a verticalshoulder holster that I can wear a jacket over. I've been practicing drawing with it and I was surprised to find that I can sweep the jacket out of the way and draw faster from the shoulder holster than I can any other method of carry. I was just wondering what pros or cons a shoulder holster might have. Thanks.

jimwyant

imported post

This is CC not OC, but since I don't think anyone will object to the question, here's my $0.02. Many years ago, before OC was common, I carried regularly in a Bianchi vertical shoulder holster. [At the time, I didn't know that Galco's horizontal Jackass rig existed, otherwise I would have owned one. I tried one that my friend brought to the range a while back, and it is much more comfortable than my old Bianchi rig could have ever been.] Anyway, shoulder carry worked very well for me when the weather was cool to cold, but there are obvious disadvantages in warm weather when a cover garment will appear out of place. I found it to be a comfortable way to carry full-size weapons like your P229, and access to the weapon is reasonably fast.

You didn't ask about this, but for warmer weather, consider IWB or (if you aren't too fashion conscious) a fanny pack. Personally, I carry OWB. If it is cold enough for me to wear a jacket or coat, then it is CC, otherwise it is OC. During the four years I lived in FL, where it is hot for ten months out of the year, OC is prohibited, and printing can be a problem, I carried in a fanny pack. God bless VA!!

expvideo

imported post

I use a Safariland (outdated) which is similar in every way to a Galco Jackass. I would recommend it greatly. I carry a Sig P226 and it doesn't print. I even wear it with suits, and I don't have to worry (even with a tailored suit jacket, albiet I DO have it tailored a half size big...). I've even worn it under trackjackets which are essentially an unzipped sweater. I used to work in the club business, where fashion was a big concern. I still carried a full size sig P226. Believe me, it is possible to conceal a full size service pistol if you know what you're doing, even in a t-shirt and jeans.

Pardon the really bad pictures of me, but they do demonstrate the extreme concealability of this style holster. Do note that this is not a true horizontal shoulder holster, it is closer to the Jackass rig, because it tilts the gun at an angle, increasing concealability.

Image048-1.jpg

Image047-1.jpg

Image049.jpg

jim_dandy

imported post

I'm more a fan of single color ties. :D

That's a nice setup.

Edited for spelling.