• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November Richmond GTG - Third Tuesday Crew

livitup

imported post

I'll kick off the thread this time. Family and I had a great time at the October meet, so let's kick off the planning for this time.

Third Tuesday is November 21. We stay in town for Thanksgiving, so I'm game. Anyone else? I'll let the locals pick the place, just let me know and we'll be there!

One of these days I'll convince the wife to pack too. :shock:

mercutio545

imported post

I'll be glad to attend a get together. This will be my first one, so I don't know anybody from the forums. My schedule is pretty open (college student, I think I'll be off during that time anyways).

mercutio545

imported post

So I'm guessing that the library doesn't care that you OC there?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The library may "care", but legally they can't do diddly, since it is a public tax-financed institution. There is no state level prohibition on such carry and state pre-emption prevents the local authorities from forbidding it. Check out the VCDL story on the issue of carry in Newport News libraries recently. The libraries were forced to take down their "no guns" signs.

mercutio545

imported post

Ah, so if someone working at the library asks you to leave, you can say "no", and it's not criminal tresspass, because it's public property? Does this go with all public/government places, like police stations, or the DMV as well?

SFDoc

imported post

VCDL is going to have a membership meeting in the Richmond area on Wednesday, November 22nd. The meeting starts at 7 PM, but fellowship begins at 6:30. Afterwards we will adjourn to a local restaurant for continued fellowship.

The meeting is open to the public, so bring your friends!

The meeting is going to be held at an opulent new library in Henrico (I have often said that Henrico is a Fairfax wannabe):

Tuckahoe Area Library
1901 Starling Drive
Richmond VA 23229
Ph: (804) 270-9578

More info can be found at http://www.co.henrico.va.us/library/tu.htm

crzywlf

imported post

Hi new to the site but have become interested in OC'ing because of the lovely ban on places that serve adult beverages. So I'm in but can't do Wed. I'll be following the thread to see what happens.

mercutio545

imported post

Membership meeting as in you can join there? I have yet to join the VCDL, but have been interested for a while now. Can you do that night if you go to the meeting?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm sure you can join at the meeting, but if you don't make the meeting, just go to VCDL.org and join online. At $15 a year, it is a real bargain.

livitup

imported post

Yeah, sorry GTG is "Get To Gether"

I can't make the meeting on Wednesday, and seems like popular sentiment is to cancelthis month's dinner. So I'll see you guys in December!

jimwyant

imported post

As previously posted, I have to work Tuesday night, but I will be in town and plan to be at the VCDL meeting on Wednesday. Hope to see some of you there!

P.S. Not sure if I should OC the Alaskan or the twin G20's. Suggestions?

hirundo82

imported post

hlh wrote:
Question: I just want confirmation that we can OC at the Henrico library? The way I understand it, we can, but I just want confirmation.
It is a local government facility, so according to Virginia state law they cannot prohibit carry:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the...carrying...firearms...other than those expressly authorized by statute.
(snip)
The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.