• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Pigeon Forge

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

My wife and I are vacationing to Pigeon Forge and will be renting a cabin in the mountains in about a month. Are there any restrictions on carrying here? I always IWB conceal carry. Georgia has a reciprical agreement with Tennessee and I have my CCW license. Are we required to let law enforecment know that we have a weapon in the car if we are stopped? Any other info is appreciated.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think it is generally a good idea in any case to just give your LTC to an officer at the same time you give him/her your driver's license. It avoids any mistaken impressions that finding out about it later might give him.

The general restrictions can be found at packing.org, if the web site is up at the moment. It goes up and down a lot.

There are other sites but none organized in as useful a way.

I was at Dollywood a few months ago. great vacation spot. Has signs prohibiting the carry of firearms at the gate. Private property has the right to set their own rules.

No carry in National Parks in any case, so much of the scenery is off limits to CC.

molonlabetn

imported post

Feel free to carry open or concealed in TN, just make sure to not get caught in a resturaunt which serves alchoholic beverages... There is no 'duty to inform' law-enforcement up-front that you possess a firearm, just be truthful if asked. Most LEOs won't bat an eye as long as you don't act like you are tweaking out.

Other info... Ummm...

Have a good time, relax, and watch out for the 'highly-skilled' (not) Chattanooga drivers when you pass through, if you are travelling via I-75. TN has pre-emption, so you don't have to worry about any local ordnances getting you in trouble. The only signs which you must obey, by law, are the ones which say:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

Here's some good info: http://firearmsclasses.com/carry_permit_info.htm#4
Q. Where can I not carry a handgun in the state of Tennessee?

A. It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm:

· within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverage, as defined in TCA. 57-3-101(a)(1)(A),. or beer as defined in TCA. 57-6-102(1) , are served for on premises consumption.

• in any room in which judicial proceedings are in progress.
  • in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institutions
  • It is not an offense for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting with the expresses or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.
  • On the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

• An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by this subsection, at meetings conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, managed or under control of such individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited.
back to the top

Q. Can stores, businesses etc. prohibit me from carrying my handgun on their premises?

A. Yes, TCA. does provide for what it terms as a prohibition at certain meetings but makes it clear that there is an accepted method of notifying the gun owner so that you will not be ambushed into violating the law. It says in part:

An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by § 39-17-1351 - § 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of such individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of any such property as well as within the confines of a building located on such property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

Pursuant to § 39-17-1359 , the owner/operator of this property has banned weapons on this property, or within this building or this portion of this building. Failure to comply with this prohibition is punishable as a criminal act under state law and may subject the violator to a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).

molonlabetn

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I live about 60 miles from Pigeon Forge (just over the line in VA) and I open carry there quite often without incident.

The only thing that you should be very careful about (as Ilbob pointed out) is not to carry into the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

The attached map shows where the boundaries are.

Enjoy your trip to TN!!!

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 503

SomeKid

imported post

Regarding letting cops know about your gun, don't. It is not required by TN law, and it does not need to be added in there. If you are carrying concealed, what he doesn't know doesn't give him a reason to take your gun 'for his protection'. If you are carrying openly, he already knows. (And I have never had a problem when open-carrying, cops round these parts just nod and smile.)

Secondly, if by chance you happen to be in a no-carry zone, you don't want to admit it.

Now, if he specifically asks, obviously, I would advise to be truthful. 'Sir, I am legally carrying a handgun, and have my carry permit' is my canned line if it is ever needed.

Either way, enjoy your stay.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SomeKid wrote:
Regarding letting cops know about your gun, don't. It is not required by TN law, and it does not need to be added in there. If you are carrying concealed, what he doesn't know doesn't give him a reason to take your gun 'for his protection'. If you are carrying openly, he already knows. (And I have never had a problem when open-carrying, cops round these parts just nod and smile.)

Secondly, if by chance you happen to be in a no-carry zone, you don't want to admit it.

Now, if he specifically asks, obviously, I would advise to be truthful. 'Sir, I am legally carrying a handgun, and have my carry permit' is my canned line if it is ever needed.

Either way, enjoy your stay.
I bow to your superior wisdom on local conditions.

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

jpierce,

Can I carry my pistol in my car while traveling through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? We do plan to stop in Gatlinburg on the way back home, but I will leave my pistol hidden in my car. Is that acceptable?

Sigaleps,

We will not be there until the second week of November.

molonlabetn

imported post

GeorgiaGlocker wrote:
jpierce,

Can I carry my pistol in my car while traveling through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? We do plan to stop in Gatlinburg on the way back home, but I will leave my pistol hidden in my car. Is that acceptable?

Sigaleps,

We will not be there until the second week of November.
CHAPTER I--NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

Title 36: Parks, Forests, and Public Property PART 2—RESOURCE PROTECTION, PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION

§2.4Weapons, traps and nets

(b) Carrying or possessing a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle, vessel or other mode of transportation is prohibited, except that carrying or possessing a loaded weapon in a vessel is allowed when such vessel is not being propelled by machinery and is used as a shooting platform in accordance with Federal and State law.
^^^^^

It's like nearly any National Park... You have to un-load it and encase it.

molonlabetn

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
GeorgiaGlocker wrote:
jpierce,

It's like nearly any National Park... You have to un-load it and encase it.

molonlabetn

Yeah ... what he said :D

As long as it is unloaded and encased, you will be fine. You just can't actually carry while in the National Park.

PS. But Gatlinburg itself is NOT inside the National Park. While there, feel free to carry. See the attached map.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 451

hirundo82

imported post

Isn't Tennessee one of those states that doesn't allow carry in National Forests either? If so, y'all need to do something about that.

steamnsteel

imported post

I open carry in the Gatlinburg area very often, sometimes out of towners casta wary eye butI have not had any problems. Be mindful of walking into some of the stores as they may have alcohol for on premis consupmtion, and you will be breaking the law in this instance.

Question....Sincethe highwayover the mountain is a federal road, would a loaded gun be safe as long as you were passing through the park?

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

jpierce,

Thanks for all the great information. If I encased my pistol in the original case unloaded and locked it and say placed it in my trunk and had the ammo say under my seat would that be accetable when I travel through the Great Smokey National Park?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

GeorgiaGlocker wrote:
jpierce,

Thanks for all the great information. If I encased my pistol in the original case unloaded and locked it and say placed it in my trunk and had the ammo say under my seat would that be acceptable when I travel through the Great Smokey National Park?
That would be fine. Enjoy your trip!

GeorgiaGlocker

imported post

Thanks jpierce.

I carry a Glock. The Glock case doesn't actually lock but it does snap shut. I wasn't sure what the lawsays about how far the ammo had to be from the gun. I could not get tomy gununless I stopped the car and open the trunk to retrieveit. Can you tell me where the law is concerning the National Parks reference to carry?

Thanks a million for all of your help. Shoot straight. Shot placement is everything.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
Isn't Tennessee one of those states that doesn't allow carry in National Forests either? If so, y'all need to do something about that.

I know that the national parks are under the jurisdiction of the federal government, and allowing permit holders to carry there will require an act of Congress.

Is it not the same in the national forests? Are they not also under the jurisdiction of the federal government?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:

I know that the national parks are under the jurisdiction of the federal government, and allowing permit holders to carry there will require an act of Congress.

Is it not the same in the national forests? Are they not also under the jurisdiction of the federal government?
Both national parks and national forests are controlled by the federal government, but by separate agencies. The rules of the National Park Service generally ban loaded weapons anywhere on NPS lands. The U.S. Forestry Service allows the carrying of weapons in national forests subject to state & local laws. However, some states may ban carrying in national forests. Also, carrying in any federally-owned or leased building is prohibited by federal law regardless of the agency involved.

possumboy

imported post

I spent the weekend in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

I OC just about everywhere I went. I did not go to any place that server beer or wine.

Had only one problem: Bass Pro Shop required I keep it concealed or but a trigger lock on it. I keep it concealed.

Some interesting conversations with the people there for the car show/swap.

I OC on the streets, lots of little stores, and a few places to eat. We ate mainly in next to the hotel at the Golden Corral, and at a Sonic down the road. The rest of the meals were prepared for the wedding or just quick stops.