• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco to gun owners: "Stay Away"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I called the corporation and complained - everybody else should do same. the operator confirmed that this was Corp. policy and said she would send me an email.

I recommend the following for all states: Continue open carrying in Cosco until they post your store or your lead state group calls for a boycott - then, organize a press event and hold a Cosco credit Card "Shred-In."

44Brent

imported post

I forgot to mention, but I openly carry at Sam's Club in Renton, Washington. No problems at Sam's whatsoever. I pointed out to Costco in my complaint that I was going to keep shopping at Sam's.

cs9c1

imported post

This is what I just sent Costco:

I was very unhappy to discover your policies on firearms in your stores. I don’t believe it is possible for you or anyone to guarantee my family or my personal safety, which is why I choose to take responsibility for it myself. By disarming the honest citizens you embolden the criminals, who now know that nobody in you business has the ability to defend themselves. I will have to take my money to other establishments who want my business.

Future Sam’s Club Member

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

yeah I have fought this battle and well I think I won. I cancelled my membership and now shop elseware as do most of my fello oc'ers. some are willing to disarm to shop there I am not. I will shop where I(being my armed presence) are welcome. one place I have suprisenly not had any problems in my walmart.

cs9c1

imported post

Nice "standard" responce:

Dear Cliff,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don't want you.” It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Keep carrying folks - the corporate police appear to be a white wash response to sort of back up individual stores - it does nto appear that Cosco really has anything more than a don't ask don't tell policy at corp. level.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've carried at least a couple of times at the Newport News Costco, and haven't had any problems.

Does this mean their security staff aren't very vigilant???;)

critter

imported post

I open carry at the Pittsburgh Cosco all the time. Even was asked by a fellow (who I was buying a $800 camera from btw) if I was a police officer and I answered "no". He didn't say anything at all after that.

Spank That Donkey

imported post

I got that same canned response....

I emailed back that I will be taking my business elsewhere, now that Costco has created a new "Kill Zone" for defenseless citizens... and employees. I also invited them to put "gun free house signs" in front of their homes...

Attachments

• no_gun_control.jpg
    no_gun_control.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 303

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I know it would be borderline vandalism but theoretically wouldn't it be fun to plaster a victim disarmament zone with stickers of the above picture.

VApatriot

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
. . .We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don't want you.” It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com
That is absolute ignorance! It is not the firearm that could create an unsafe situation; onlythe carriers of firearms can choosehow they will be handled andused.What they are really saying is that they do not trust youto be responsiblewith your firearm in their store. Whenexclude firearmsfrom their stores, they areonly excluding the carriers of firearms, becauseit's not like guns are walking into Costcos all by themselves.

novaccw

imported post

I have carried openly and concealed at Pentagon City on numerous occaisions, also at Fairfax and Springfield...no problems. None of the stores is posted. The unarmed security guardeither didn't notice or didn't care. If I am asked to leave I will ask for a refund of whatever I have spent as well as immediate termination of my membership with full refund. I do not remember reading anything about "No Firearms" in my membership covanent. I am drafting an email to COSTCO right now.

novaccw

imported post

I have carried openly and concealed at Pentagon City on numerous occaisions, also at Fairfax and Springfield...no problems. None of the stores is posted. If I am asked to leave I will ask for a refund of whatever I have spent as well as immediate termination of my membership with full refund. I do not remember reading anything about "No Firearms" in my membership covanent. I am drafting an email to COSTCO right now.

Spank That Donkey

imported post

I know it would be borderline vandalism but theoretically wouldn't it be fun to plaster a victim disarmament zone with stickers of the above picture.

I found that out on the web somewhere, and borrowed it. I think it would be a powerful piece to work into a flyer hand out for pamphleteering!

b18turboef

imported post

its too funny that i found this thread today. last night me and a friend were open carrying in a costco, a new one in our area. here in nv it is legal to open carry almost anywhere and i do everyday. mostly due to the fact that i cant get my ccw for 4 more months (im 20). as we sat down to eat 2 "managers" came over to us and started giving us quite a hard time. Here is the e-mail I sent in last night when we left:

Please make sure this reaches upper management. This matter needs to be resolved.

I am writing to inform you I was taken to a local store, #646 tonight with a friend. I was told your stores had great prices on almost anything and as a small business owner I thought I should take a look and determine if I should start my own membership.

We went into the store and took a look at quite a few things; I was impressed by your prices. We decided to get a quick bite to eat before continuing shopping so we got hot dogs at your snack bar. As we were going to sit down 2 "managers" approached us asking about us carrying weapons. We both open carry handguns, which in the state of Nevada is COMPLETELY legal. He informed us that he would like us to leave because it makes him uncomfortable. We VERY politely informed him of the legality of carrying a firearm and that we intended no harm to anyone. We asked if we had missed a sign on the front of the building when entering the store that prohibits firearms (which are not posted on your store). He said no, so we proceeded to ask if we were breaking a store policy, and again informed that we were not. He said "It makes him and his customers uncomfortable". He then asked for our Costco card, and my friend gave it to him, he then said he would be back later. So we ate and then went to the customer service counter to ask for the card back. We were then informed that he was revoking my friend’s membership and asked to leave. We informed him that what he was doing is harassment and illegal. It also infringes on any American's second amendment rights. He responded in a very rude way, "well if I'm harassing you then so be it, it’s my store". We asked for his name, which he laughed about and gave us, His name, is Phil Owens. He did what he could to make us look like bad people and his attitude during the entire conversation was far from acceptable. As a small business owner I know the value of a good employee and how terrible it is for a company to have a "rouge" employee that takes it upon him/herself to make up and apply rules, regulations, policies etc. that do not exist. It is very embarrassing to have these employees make a scene in the middle of the store trying to degrade us for doing nothing wrong. I am a very law abiding citizen and I take it VERY offensively when a situation such as this occurs. It is harassment and I will do everything I need to do to not allow it.

In closing I ask that I be contacted tomorrow, I would like Mr. Phil Owens to delt with accordingly. His actions are unacceptable and make Costco look VERY bad. A person like that will take a new store downhill very fast. I think we are both due an apology in person from Phil Owens. I would also like my friend’s membership card returned promptly. If the harassment does not stop from this individual I will have to take legal action. Thank you for your time and PLEASE contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx

sandy

imported post

I OC at my local Costco. I've never had any problems. If I am ever told that it is against company policy and they forbid me to come back with a gun, I'll cancel my membership on the spot.

This is my general policy, even in places that I know would like to ban guns if they could. In every encounter so far where a manager has taken issue with my openly carried pistol, they have stopped short of telling me I couldn't come back with it next time.A major mall harassed me and called the cops, but ultimately didn't say I was unwelcome with a gun. My local Safeway manager wanted to discuss it with me, and told me that she didn't like it, but didn't tell me to stop shopping for my groceries there. My local McDonalds w/PlayPlace said they had receiveda customer complaint, and would I mind concealing it just this once. See, overall I find that they want my money more than their stupid rules. As long as my local Costco continues to leave me alone, I'll keep shopping there.

--Sandy (WA)