• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Potentil upcoming visit to VA

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just where is Augusta County?

I may be headed there in a few weeks on business. Thinking I may take the wife and head to Colonial Willamsburg on the way back.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Augusta County is on Interstate 81. Staunton is right on the Interstate. Next Thursday's VCDL led protest at the City Council meeting is a really important event. if you live in, travel thru, work, or go to school in Augusta County, please come to thei smeeting.

hirundo82

imported post

Augusta County is on the west side of the state, about 3 hours from Williamsburg, but it is just a straight shot down I-64. You would most likely have to comeback the same way too. It would be out of your way to go to Colonial Williamsburg, but definitely worth it if you have the time.

TEX1N

imported post

Concerning OC in Colonial Williamsburg, I always like to forward people to this post from Chronoshifter at packing.org. Since PDO is never online, here is Chronoshifter's post about his experience OC'ing in Colonial Williamsburg, this is a must read!

CW is BEYOND cool with you open carrying.
I was recently visiting Colonial Williamsburg with the Girlfriend as I’m a bit of a history geek, and haven’t ever been to CW. I searched all over their website for any indication of allowing or forbidding the carry of firearms, but could find nothing. We arrived, and not wanting to get kicked out of a place I really really wanted to go, I approached the blacksmith shop (or was it shoppe) and asked the blacksmith who was working away upon something. I asked him for a moment and quietly asked if CW allowed the carry of firearms as I didn’t want to break any rules. His response was SOOOO cool. I’ll try to quote him as accurately as possible.

With about TWICE the volume I had used to ask him the question, he responded...

“That good sir is the question we are now faced with. His Majesty’s soldiers even now have decreed that the possessions of any firearms are not only forbade and forbidden, but that it is a crime upon king and country to posses the simple means to protect oneself. The town elders, along with good stalwart men of the Continental Congress have urged all colonial citizens to protest the actions of England’s king and to keep their arms ready and prepared to defend this, which they feel is the most sacred of liberties. Stay your weapons upon your person and walk the streets here proudly.“

Needless to say, I was smiling ear to ear and openly carried, and didn’t really get any undue attention, well. . .except for the SECONDEST coolest thing that happened.

After being there for about an hour, we were walking down the street when we saw performers who were dressed to the nines in Period British military uniforms and walking in formation. One of the conscripts saw I was armed and announced “Sir, that colonial is armed, do we detain?” The officer (I think he was a Major, but my English military knowledge is sadly lacking) stopped his squad and took a deep breath. Again, I will try to quote as accurately as I can.

The (Major?) slowly walked over to me, addressing his halted troops the whole time.

“No Mister Norley. Although his Majesty has decreed that ANY position of musket or pistol is a crime against the throne, these rabble can pose no serious threat against the might and resolve of King and Crown. We shall permit this one to have his personal armaments . . .”

And at this he leaned in very closely so only I could hear.

“. . .for now!”

He walked back to take his place at the head of the formation and marched them onward.

It was the coolest day I could remember in a long time. Open carry your gun, you’ll love it.

from http://www.packing.org/community/general/listview/11555/#chatitem_101495
ilbob, if you make it down to Colonial Williamsburg you will have to let us know how it goes.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, Williamsburg is not a National Park or situated in one, HOWEVER, the Colonial Parkway, which runs through it is Federal, so you have to have firearms unloaded and in the trunk whilst on that roadway.

possumboy

imported post

hlh wrote:
Makes me want to visit CW again and carry openly and proudly!

You are not the only one!

I'm taking the kids ASAP! Good day trip for me, and more importantly, it show that without the ability to defend yourself, we would all be German speaking British.

My kids know to look for a police officer if they need help. They also have answered that "daddy carries a gun because police officers are not always there, andwe are too important to him to trust to the kindness of a monster [bad guy]".

Rule #3
September 12, 2005 - 8 Elul, 5765

Only people can be monsters.
When the kids are scared of monsters. I tell the there are no monsters. Only people can be monsters, and it is mommy’s and daddy’s job to protect them.