• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW holder pulls gun after loosing fight

reefteach

imported post

So would that be self defense? He pickeda fight. He willingly went into a physical confrontation. When he bagan to loose, he drew the firearm. I think he screwed up bigtime. Any lawyers or LEOS out there want to clarrify what those charges really mean?

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/15833847.htm

THEY WERE just 6 and 7 years old, pee-wee footballers in Northeast Philadelphia squaring off on a brilliantly sunny October morning, on a field where you expect to hear the referee's whistle and shouts of encouragement.

No one expected to hear this on Sunday on the playing fields of Burholme Park:

"He's got a gun! He's got a gun!"

Before the fracas ended, kids had seen an angry dad punching his son's coach in a dispute over the boy's playing time before brandishing a .357 Magnum, a referee clocking the angry dad's brother, and both men arrested.

And Northeast Philadelphia joined the increasingly long list of localities where parent or fan violence has run amok at a youth sporting event, often in front of young children.

"I cried thinking about the kids," said the referee, Shawn Henwood. "I can see snapshots of their faces in my mind... they were dazed, their eyes were wide open. They saw what was going on. Are they going to want to play ever again?"

Even Philadelphia police officers, who see it all in the course of their job, were amazed at how a kids' football game could spin so quickly into raw violence and even gunplay.

"It was all because his son wasn't playing enough," said Capt. John McGinnis, of Northeast Detectives. "It's a very bizarre case."

At least no one was hurt, and no shots were fired.

"It was just horrible. Sixty seconds of mayhem, that's the best I can come up with," Henwood said. "It all happened so fast, but in my mind, it plays back so slow. It was a strange experience that I hope I never go through again."

The incident happened during a game between the ironically named Burholme Outlaws and the Oxford Circle Raiders.

According to McGinnis, a parent, Wayne Derkotch, 40, of East Wilt Street, approached the coach of his son's Outlaws team, Jermaine Wilson, 34.

McGinnis said Derkotch asked Wilson why his son wasn't getting enough playing time in the game. According to police, Wilson said that "he liked to run up the score before he put in other players."

Derkotch got angry and "started cursing at the coach," according to McGinnis, who said Wilson then asked Derkotch to step aside because he was swearing in front of the boys.

Instead, the two men - Derkotch is 5 feet 9, 215 pounds, according to witnesses, and Wilson is about 6 feet 3, 250 pounds - began to scuffle.

"All of a sudden, we hear 'Fight! Fight!' " said Henwood. "I see a gentleman pounding on another gentleman. Then we hear, 'He's got a gun! He's got a gun!' "

Some of the kids were as close as five feet from Derkotch, who police said had been brandishing a legally permitted silver .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson handgun. Henwood said he told the kids "to get down, and they all listened to me."

Derkotch then ran to his black, four-door GMC, tossed his gun inside and drove off, said Henwood. The referee said he had tried to jot down the license number but a man - who he said was Derkotch's brother - slapped the paper from his hands.

Meanwhile, police were already arriving on the scene, and Wayne Derkotch was taken into custody. But now Henwood and the brother, identified as Paul Derkotch, were involved in the melee.

Henwood said Paul Derkotch allegedly backed him up 15 feet and lunged at his neck. "I perceived a threat and struck him once in the jaw," he said.

"He [Henwood] was being the good guy but then he punched the guy in the face right in front of the cops," McGinnis said. "It was only one punch. He knocked him to the ground."

The result was that Henwood was arrested and charged with simple assault and recklessly endangering another person.

Wayne Derkotch was charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, and recklessly endangering another person. Paul Derkotch was not charged.

The two men were free yesterday, Derkotch on bail and Henwood on his own recognizance. Wayne Derkotch could not be reached for comment, and Paul Derkotch would not speak to a reporter.

Meanwhile, those who were involved in the melee or witnessed it were still amazed a day later.

"Everything happened so fast. It was a real shock," said a coach for the Outlaws who did not want to be named. He added, perhaps with understatement: "Sometimes it's a tough crowd."

VAopencarry

imported post

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get jail time. The firearm is for self defense, if you are the aggressor, you aren't defending yourself if you start the confrontation.

VApatriot

imported post

This was not a good situation at all, but it didn'teven said who actually started thephysical fight. Thedad wasn't right to start cussin' out the coach, but if the coach was the one who started throwing punches that changes the situation. But, since the dad drove away, it does make him look like the guilty party.

As for the ref, I think he got a raw deal. It sounded like he was only acting in self defence.

cs9c1

imported post

The dumbass who started the fight should get the book thrown at him. He not only does hehave anger control issues (IT WAS PEE WEE FOOTBALL), but then he has to draw his pistol to end it. That is someone who should not be allowed to carry anymore. He gives the anti's way too much ammo to use on us.

possumboy

imported post

The worst part about this is that it will give some antis something to point at.

"See what this guy did with his 'legal' gun. AND AROUND CHILDREN!"

They always through in the around children.

critter

imported post

If you pick a fight and start losing, unless it looks like the other guy (coach) is going to kill you or do grievous bodily harm (i.e. amputate your big toe, etc) then you'd better be willing to take your lumps.

The LTCF holder in this case is part of that < 1% that need to have their LTCF revoked. However there would still be nothing keeping him from carrying openly in the future as long as he's on foot outside of Philly.

Maybe some sort of Felony conviction is in order to keep him from owning firearms or getting a LTCF in the future. This isn't the sort of person you want to have around guns, unless I'm around so I can drill him when he points the gun at the coach.

Idiot.