• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CFP Class October 29th - Woodbridge Virginia

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=center]Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Classes

[/align]

[align=center]Your Virginia permit is currently accepted in only 21 states.[/b][/align]

[align=center]The [/b]Utah CFP is currently accepted in 30 states.[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center]If you desire to get your [/b]Utah[/b] permit you can email the instructor at 4utahpermits@gmail.com or call [/b]703-229-1712[/b] to register or to get additional information. Leave your name and phone number(s).[/b][/align]

[align=center]The cost of the course is $75.[suP]00[/suP].[/b][/align]

[align=center]There is a shooting requirement (32 of 40 shots (80%) or better at a man sized silhouette at 10 yards) with a .38 special and/or a 9mm (20 shots each or 40 from either) Students are encouraged to provide their own firearms and ammunition, however, rental guns and ammo can be provided at a minimal cost if needed.[/b][/align]

[align=center]For admission, unless prior arrangements are made, a valid home state permit must be presented on the day of the class. Classes are normally scheduled one Sunday of each month from 8AM[/b] until [/b]Noon[/b] at Shooters’ [/b]Paradise[/b], [/b]Woodbridge[/b], [/b]Virginia[/b]. All payments need to be made in cash to the instructor on the day of the class. Pre-registration is required. Walk-ins will not be permitted.[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]The Utah permit is required to OC in Utah.[/b][/align]

livitup

imported post

I was going to post a note about this in light of my earlier interest in a Utah Permit class. I just signed up for this class at Shooter's Paradise. Looking forward to it and would love to see some of you there.

Practical question, which any of you who have taken this class before might be able to answer. Are 9mm and .38 the ONLY calibers acceptable for the practical portion of the class? All my pistols are chambered in .40 S&W. I'm sure I can rent from SP if needed, but the requirement just seems a little odd to me...

Thanks!

---A

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I recently took the class, and yes, those are the ONLY calibers acceptable for the practical portion. (At least they were when Bruce Jackson taught the class.)

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Any gun using any 9mm, or any gun using 38 special are the only acceptable guns...

Long story short when I developed the class curriculum I was faced with a short turn around so I set it up similar to the Shooters' Paradise Basic Pistol 1 course of fire.

After a couple of dry runs I tried re-writing the curriculum and was told that Utah had changed the way they did the instructor certification. They had astandard curriculum that was, in my opinion, not only not better, but worse in scope and content. So I elected to stick with what I had submitted.

The Utah BCI approved material reads this way...

Range test

[align=center]**NOTES:[/align]

· Setting down a loaded gun is justification for IMMEDIATE[/b] FAILURE[/b] due to a safety disqualification

· Breaking the SAFE DIRECTION is justification for IMMEDIATE FAILURE[/b] due to a safety disqualification

The bench will contain at least 1 firearm compatible with either .38. Special or 9mm ammunition. (Both are preferred) and at least 40 cartridges. (40 of one kind or 20 of each as determined by the students desire and available firearms and ammunition)

Target at 3.5 Yards
1. On command you will: load 1 Round of .38 Special ammunition into the provided revolver

2. On command you will: close the cylinder

3. On command you will: aim

4. On command you will: fire

5. Once you have fired the handgun you will make it safe and set it on the bench in front of you and step back signifying completion.

6. On command you will: load 1 Round of .9mm ammunition into the provided semi-automatic handgun MAGAZINE.[/b]

7. On command you will: pick up the firearm and insert the magazine.

8. On command you will “sling-shot” the slide to the forward position

9. On command you will: aim

10. On command you will: fire

11. Once you have fired the handgun you will make it safe and set it on the bench in front of you and step back signifying completion.

At this time you will be asked to move your target out to 7 Yards

All shooters demonstrating satisfactory firearm handling abilities will now be allowed to load as much ammunition into the provided firearms, up to the maximum allowable by design, at their own pace.

Students requiring a little more individualized training will receive it at this time and it will continue until they demonstrate satisfactory firearm handling abilities as above.

A passing grade will consist of the student’s ability to score 100% written and a ability to hit a paper plate sized target at 7 yards or man sized target at 10 yards with either an 80/20 hit / miss ratio or better or a score of at least 80% of the points available based on the chosen targets scoring system and the number of rounds fired.

---

I do have one question for you though...

When you say you signed up for this class at Shooters' do you mean the class being held at shooters' or that you really signed up there?

The reason I ask is all class registrations are handled via email and not by way of the store...

livitup

imported post

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be renting a G19 for the practical part. No worries.

And I meant that I emailed the instructor to sign up for the class being held at SP. :) I haven't heard back yet to confirm that there is space available though.

---A