• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Webb on Carrying in National Parks

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Yeah I think Webb is a pretty good writer myself and I have a few of his books, pretty much because he was on the Commandants Reading List for Marines. These passages taken completely out of context, really don't reflect on Webb as far as how he would be as a potential Senator.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Go ahead and flame me now - this is somewhat off the threads topic, although the previous several posts are as well.Anyway, Allen dismissvely answered "Is this a serious question?" when askedsomething like "Tell us about a piece of art that moves you", while Webboffered a serious response. This was in this weeks StyleWeekly, a widely distributed free Richmond newspaper. I was voting for Allen, but have grown increasingly frustrated athis intelligence level. Myself (and my two best gun owning friends) have all switched from voting for Allen to voting for Webb.

The Donkey

imported post

I'm going to try to attach Jim Webb's letter containing the quote I referenced here to this post: the whole letter is interesting.

I also thought it might be interesting for you to see the survey Jim Webb answered for the NRA. Here is a link to the page on his webbsite.

http://www.webbforsenate.com/nrasurvey.pdf

The Donkey

Attachments

• Webb sportsman_letter.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 120

longwatch

imported post

Not so enthused about closing the gun show loophole there (answer 6b). As someone who has bought and sold through the occasional private transaction, at gun shows I really don't see the need for governmental interference.

Thanks though for publishing what the NRA survey says because otherwise we wouldn't know what they are asking.

The Donkey

imported post

What's the difference between Webb's answer to question 6, and the status quo on gun shows in Virginia?

We already know that Allen supports gun show checks. . . .

Addendum: Also seems (from a lay person's perspective) like legislation specifying that dealers are not required to maintain records on sales at shows, and that the government is prohibited from doing so would be helpful.

longwatch

imported post

Currently at a gun show in Virginia, I can buy or sell a weapon directly from or to you. No instant background check or paperwork is necessary. What Webb said he would do is make that kind of transaction illegal at a gun show. The significant difference about Allen is that while he said he would support it in the past when he had the opportunity he voted against it in 2004.
http://www.gunlawnews.org/108th-Senate-Bills/sa2636.html

The Donkey

imported post

I see: so it would be a "step outside to my minivan" kind of deal.

No big fuss: but why does the NRA "not oppose" the legislation? I get the sense that NRA thinks that they are getting something out of it.

Also thanks to the link to gun law news: I learn more and more each day.:)

Donkey

longwatch

imported post

Well the NRA is a gun control organization (sarcasm alert). Its a sell out position, and they would keep on doing it until all private transactions are regulated in that manner. If you believe registration leads to confiscation like it has in the past it is an anathema to RKBA. Actually they probably hold that position because it helps out the dealers, less competetion. However its one of those things that dissapoints me about the NRA.

Then again maybe it was a trick question.

VAopencarry

imported post

I don't see what the 'gun show' has to do with it. Any Virginian to another Virginian can legally perform that same transaction outside the umbrella of the 'gun show'. So if they close the 'gun show loophole' will this also prevent private transactions amongst Virginian's?

longwatch

imported post

Well as the NRA survey worded it no, but it is the gateway to federally banning all private face to face transactions. Gun shows, then the internet, then classified ads, and so on. When has other side given up after we have given them something?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I do not believe that the Congress can constitutionally mandate dealer checks at gun shows for intra-state sales between private citizens of the same state.

The Donkey

imported post

:what:A flash from the past on the National Park Ban and the Donkey party:

vtme_grad98 wrote:
Bolt06 wrote:
The Donkeywrote: Webb responded -- on the record -- as follows:

A: “I support letting people carry firearms where state laws allow.”

Webb didn't even answer the question. all he did was to say that he would uphold the laws that are already there. He didn't even touch on the question about changing it. he is roping you in without telling you anything. be careful of this man. . . . .
You beat me to it. I had noticed the same thing about this statement. State gun laws do not currently apply to National Parks, so his statement has absolutely no relation to his stance on National Park carry. Either he phrased it that way deliberately or he isn't remotely savvy enough to recognize the meaning of what he's saying.

I have a very good reason for dredging up this old post:

A bit over a year ago, I took alot of guff for suggesting that Candidate Jim Webb was going to carry out his promises on RTKBA issues.

He would be too scared of Schumer or Pelosi or something.

I just received this action alert from VCDL:

Pressure on the Department of the Interior (DOI) to change the rules in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges to allow law-abiding gun owners to carry guns for self-defense has just increased dramatically!

**Forty-seven** Senators have co-signed a letter from Senator Mike Crapo to Dirk Kempthorne, Secretary of the Department of the Interior

(DOI) asking DOI to allow state law to determine if guns can be carried in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges in that state!

The letter (and a link to the PDF version of the letter) is below.

Virginia Senator Jim Webb signed the letter. Senator John Warner, as usual, was no where to be found.

The NRA was apparently instrumental in getting this letter generated - good job. Now we need to help make this actually happen.

ACTION ITEMS:

First, let's thank Senator Webb for supporting this effort and encourage him to continue putting pressure on DOI to do the right thing. . . ."

:celebrate: A dancing banana for the democratic senator whois KEEPING HIS PROMISES to this community.

Told ya so:

Donkey

longwatch

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
How about this statement by Mr. Webb, that will be officially released by the campaign tomorrow:

“I have possessed a concealed-carry permit for many years, and shoot regularly. I have made no secret during this campaign of the fact that I carry. I support a national concealed carry permit. I also will sponsor a bill in the United States Senate that repeals the National Park Gun Ban that disarms only law-abiding citizens in Interior Department/National Park Service across Virginai. And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote."

Clear enough for you?

The Donkey

I'm glad he signed onto the letter, but um where is his NPS(National Park Service) carry bill?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

When did you get the action alert?

Either I have not received it yet, am signed up for the wrong list, or missed it in the recent summary.

Thanks!