• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you should carry at a museum

ChadW

imported post

This just happened today and reminds you that you could need your gun any time or place.

[align=center][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]William King Assault[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

[align=left]http://www.wcyb.tv/newsread.asp?newsid=7561http://www.wcyb.tv/news_print.asp?newsid=7561[/align]

[align=right][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Date 25October 2006[/font][/align]

[line]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]A man with a gun was arrested in the William King Regional Art Center in Abingdon Tuesday. It happened just after 11 o`clock. Police say 70-year-old Farleigh David Small entered the art center with a ski mask and a gun. Small is being held at the Southwest Regional Jail and is charged with having a concealed weapon on school property.
[/font][/align]

ChadW

imported post

Does anyone in Abingdon know if the Art center would be a school? Years ago it was the high school but not for a long time. I am hoping it is not one because I have carried there many times. It looks like I may have made a big boo-boo.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

i would call the school distric office and ask them for a list of all there properties and what they have control over, they may still be the owners of the museum. but not sure if that would qualify it as a school thet seems kinda goofy to me

possumboy

imported post

School property/school functions unless gun is unloaded, in an enclosed container (but NOT in the glove box or console) and in the vehicle. A car's trunk is considered an enclosed container. However, a concealed handgun permit holder can have a loaded, concealed handgun in the vehicle while in the school parking lot, traffic circle, etc. The concealed handgun and the permit holder must stay in the vehicle. Firearms are not banned from property open to the public where a school function is being held unless that property is being used exclusively for the school function. Violation of this statute is a felony

I always thought that school had to be K-12 to count, but maybe that is just on non-county/state school owned property.

I do know that it does not apply to college property.