• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range Get-Together

darrel_h

imported post

for any that are interested, my friend and i are more than likely going to be going to the Chickahominy outdoor shooting range on sat nov 18. i was thinking maybe we could make this a meeting of sorts. just an idea. if anyone's interested let me know. i don't know the exact address of the range, it's off the road a bit, but we could always meet up somewhere before hand. there's a wal-mart i usually go to and get ammo before hitting the range. and then after, i keep hearing about this bbq joint that's actually behind the wal-mart called pierce's pitt. their suppose to be one of the best. like i said, let me know and we'll figure it out from there.

darrel_h

imported post

it is a bit of a haul. i live in lake ridge (near occoquan) and it takes me about 2 - 2 1/2 hours to get there. but, it is worth it. it's a very nice outdoor range. most of the people i've encountered there are very respectful of range rules and such. the occasional younger kids might get a little too rambunxious once in a while, but i'm sure they can be quieted fairly easily.

darrel_h

imported post

as bayboy stated it is wide open to the public. right now i think the hours are 10am thru 5pm. i know it's 10 am but am not sure when it closes. of all the times i've ever gone there i've seen what i believe is a park ranger there once or twice. he checked to see if my buddy's m-16 was full auto and then ran his id (i think he was training a newbie) and that was it. there are obvious range restrictions, but there's nothing out of the ordinary.

darrel_h

imported post

bayboy, thanks for all of your amplifying info, very helpful. i'm glad to see there a few people interested in going.

ion, it is quite a trip from woodbridge, but it's usually the only time i really get to go shooting. i don't care for many of the ranges around here. too expensive and most of the people i seem to encounter in them are very rude and standoffish. maybe it's just me.

for those that are seriously considering going, my friend and i (my friend lives in virginia beach) usually meet up at the wally world on rochembeau dr and then caravan to the range. he likes to get maximum range time so we meet up aboutan hour to 1/2 an hour before the range opens. we usually pick up all our ammo and targets there. and on a sidenote, i've never once had a problem oc'ing there. so, i'd say lets start getting an actual account of who's going and start working out the details. i'm in, so that's 1.

darrel_h

imported post

seeing as 11/18 is right around the corner, i wanted to put this post back up front and see if anyone is considering going this weekend. what i was thinking is meeting up at the wally world on rochambeau drive around9 or 9:30 then caravaning to the chickahominy range (opens at 10 and closes at 3). then once we are finished letting some aggressionsout down rangewe can convene for an oc experience at pierce's pit bbq, which should be right behind the wally world. please let me know if you plan on going as i do not want to make the 2 hour drive all the way down there for nothing. thanks.

Tomahawk

imported post

Due to the cycling of the latest threads on the homepage I missed this and totally forgot about this. Sorry. Perhaps the next range get together in VA will be closer to NOVA.

darrel_h

imported post

i did end up going with a couple other friends of mine from the va beach area, all in all it was a good day at the range. was quite surprised at how many people were there. it was almost a full house. unfortunately didn't see any of you other fellow ocdo'ers but hey, there's always next time. i will let you know when i head down there again. usually we try to make it about once a month, when it fits into our schedules.