• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November Postal Match

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Holiday themed for your shooting pleasure.

Rules: Contestants may enter multiple times but must use a different weapon for each set of targets.
Weapons: Your open carry weapon, but the same weapon must be used for both courses of fire. This means just about any weapon, however if you use a rifle or PLR-16 or something reasonably implausible you must submit proof that you open carry it in public i.e. a picture of you carrying it outdoors and not at the range or hunting. This will be shared with the forum.
Ammunition: Any except birdshot shotshells but a plus 1 point bonus for using your previously stated defensive carry ammunition. The same ammunition must be used for both courses of fire.
Course of fire:

Stage 1: Enforce the guarantee
Target: http://www.targetz.com/targetz-lib/20040.pdf
Range: 5 yards
Rounds fired: 12

Shoot the gnomes, shot holes inside or breaking the lines count as a hit. Shots breaking the nose will count as x's (bullseyes). A shot may only break one target, multiple hits on one target will count only once. You may only fire 12 shots on this target. More than 12 will be DQ'd.

Stage 2: Turkey shoot
Target: http://www.remington.com/pdfs/turkeytarget.pdf
Range: 15 yards
Rounds fired 5
Shoot the turkey, any shot hitting the turkey is a hit. A shot entirely inside the red circle is counted as an x (bullseye). Any more than 5 shots on the target and it will be DQ'd.

Scoring: Possible score for this match is 17. In the event of a tiebreaker x's will be counted. If there is still a tie, first submitter wins.

Submission: Email a scan or a clear life sized picture of your target to ocdo_postal_match@yahoo.com . Targets must have name, weapon, and ammunition type printed on them. Deadline is 12 noon November 20th.

Good luck please let me know if you have any questions.

IonEngine

imported post

I'll participate! I'm still somewhat a 'rookie' with handguns, so don't laugh at my submissions, hehe. Irecently sold my Astra 960 forwhich Ihad a holster, but I did not carry that with me anyway, and amstill looking for a holster for my SIG 239 that I can use for either open or concealed carry(if I can find one that is). I have not gotten my concealed permit yet so I have no choice but to open carry when it's not in the case.

Anthony

longwatch

imported post

A SIG 239 is fine, even if you haven't been able to OC yet. Since you are in NOVA I would try either Shooters Paradise or Virginia Arms for a holster.

IonEngine

imported post

longwatch wrote:
A SIG 239 is fine, even if you haven't been able to OC yet. Since you are in NOVA I would try either Shooters Paradise or Virginia Arms for a holster.
Funny you should mention first exactly where I planned on going! I have a membership to Shooters...but as far as holsters they a lot, but 90% are the exspensive Galco's.

VAopencarry

imported post

IonEngine wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Funny you should mention first exactly where I planned on going! I have a membership to Shooters...but as far as holsters they a lot, but 90% are the exspensive Galco's.
You will find mostly Galco and Virginia Arms also and Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas. Though any of them probably have an Uncle Mikes for 20 bucks if that's what you are looking for. Or wait until the Chantilly gun show next month.

possumboy

imported post

IonEngine wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I got my holster at a gun show and it was a lot cheaper than I paid for my dad's at a shop (I did get him a Galco).

I also have a membership at Shooter's. Maybe a Shooter's day?

IonEngine

imported post

I got my holster at a gun show and it was a lot cheaper than I paid for my dad's at a shop (I did get him a Galco).

I also have a membership at Shooter's. Maybe a Shooter's day?
I'll be there around 4PM if anyone else was going (Shooter's)

longwatch

imported post

I often find it is well worth it to spend the money on a good holster. Rarely are there good holsters for a low price.

molonlabetn

imported post

I'm in! I'll have to do my shooting this coming weekend.

IonEngine wrote:
I'll participate! I'm still somewhat a 'rookie' with handguns, so don't laugh at my submissions, hehe. Irecently sold my Astra 960 forwhich Ihad a holster, but I did not carry that with me anyway, and amstill looking for a holster for my SIG 239 that I can use for either open or concealed carry (if I can find one that is). I have not gotten my concealed permit yet so I have no choice but to open carry when it's not in the case.

Anthony

Anthony, welcome...

The Sig P239 is certainly sufficient for precise shooting at the ranges expected here... I will be doing the challenge twice, with my own P239 (.357sig) along with my XD-45.

A good holster is very important... I carry my 239 in a Don Hume 721 O.T.

Get a good, reinforcedgun-belt too!

molonlabetn

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I am going to try to make the deadline.

I shot the gnome targets at the range today. I did horrible! Only three gnomes took a hit. I shot from 50' instead of 15'. Back to the range. Those gnomes get awfully small and fuzzy at 50' with my vision.