• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beltway Republicans Building Master List of Gunowners

The Donkey

imported post

Check out this post on Rule .303:
Beltway Republicans Building Master List of Gunowners

This morning I heard something very disturbing on the radio. Ken Mehlman, chairman of the Republican National Committee, was describing some of the things that he has his organization doing to identify likely Republican versus Democratic voters. They gather a lot of information about everyone they can and maintain it in a huge national database. You are probably in there somewhere. Among the types of data that he specifically mentioned was whether or not you own a gun.

(MORE):arrow: http://rule-303.blogspot.com/2006/10/beltway-republicans-building-master.html

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'd be curious to know where they are getting the information. However they couldn't make a database if certain folks hadn't mandated gun registries or regulated gun carry with permits in the first place. I can't say I'm shocked, because all sorts of groups are harvesting info on us. From the feds on down. TIA, Echelon,the defunct carnivore program and whatever replaced it, are a little more concerning to me.

Newspapers love to print lists of permit holders so I'm sure its real easy for the RNC to get their names. Ironically that kind of treatment by liberal antigun newspapers drives those people to privacy issues. However can we say for certain that the DNC doesn't do the same? I mean harvest information about voters? I just got a postcard from my democratic delegate welcoming me to the district. Actually I just changed addresses in the same district but how did he get my address? He just accessed publically available records of course.

Personally as I have 5 different state permits, its no big secret that I have a gun. As one of the FFLs I used to buy from has sent their bound book to the BATFE now several of my weapons are likely federally registered. These facts and others like my service record, credit reports, criminal record, whatever comes up in a google search and I wouldn't be surprised if forum chatter are all in a computer databank in TIA headquarters down in Arlington.

As to the inference in the article that the Republican party could or will ban assault weapons, why haven't they done it? It's a bit of a stretch to assert that and conveniently leaves out that the Democrats were the majority of those voting for permanent extension in 2004.

Spank That Donkey

imported post

Although our friends like the Donkey would have us see something sinister in this, the Pubs have basically purchased Guns and Ammo, Gun List, Shot Gun News lists of subscribers.... They are just being smart... and hardly looking to disarm the people whose issue they favor...

Now if the Dems were compiling a similar list...

It comes down to who do you trust?

The Donkey

imported post

That's not what Melman said, Spanky: he said it was "gun owners."

Melman probably knows better than Spanky where the RNC got their microtargeting list. My guess is that Melman is going deeper than just magazine subscriptions here.

And we all know how much the Republicans care about our privacy rights: now let me think: Patriot Act; Terrorist Surveillance; TSA; Real ID; HIPAA; what was that Delta Airlines program?

But how would you know about the RNC anyway, Spanky? Isn't the RNC a bit North of the Potomac for you?

Seems like your hanging out with the wrong crowd.

The Donkey

possumboy

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
That's not what Melman said, Spanky: he said it was "gun owners."

Melman probably knows better than Spanky where the RNC got their microtargeting list. My guess is that Melman is going deeper than just magazine subscriptions here.

And we all know how much the Republicans care about our privacy rights: now let me think: Patriot Act; Terrorist Surveillance; TSA; Real ID; HIPAA; what was that Delta Airlines program?

But how would you know about the RNC anyway, Spanky? Isn't the RNC a bit North of the Potomac for you?

Seems like your hanging out with the wrong crowd.

The Donkey

I'm confused here, HIPAA was a last minute bill signed by Clinton. The Bush administration (HHS) was required to implement rules a regulations based on the law from the Clinton Administration. Well, the 1999 update to HIPAA.

With the Delta Airlines? You talking about TWIC, were workers have to be "vetted" before working in secure areas, or, are you talking about Trusted Traveller? Trusted Traveller is on a volunteer basis only.

TSA is just a gov't agency doing what was required by the airport staff before. Nothing new there, just the "company" that is doing it. It would be the same requirements to get through line with or with out TSA.

I just don't see these issues as DEM/GOP.

XD Owner

imported post

Gosh, I received a letter from Tom O'Donogue (running in the 8th Cong. Dist.) and it started something like, "Dear NRA Member, Please...."

How in heck did he know I was a member of the NRA?

I think this is a non-issue.

Vote for Allen. Rated A+ by the NRA.

longwatch

imported post

What did the letter from O'Donoghue say? I have heard mixed messages on him regarding gun issues.

longwatch

imported post

You know I sent them an email asking what his position was after the NRA declined to endorse him, never got a response.

The Donkey

imported post

possumboy wrote:
I'm confused here, HIPAA was a last minute bill signed by Clinton. The Bush administration (HHS) was required to implement rules a regulations based on the law from the Clinton Administration. Well, the 1999 update to HIPAA.

With the Delta Airlines? You talking about TWIC, were workers have to be "vetted" before working in secure areas, or, are you talking about Trusted Traveller? Trusted Traveller is on a volunteer basis only.

TSA is just a gov't agency doing what was required by the airport staff before. Nothing new there, just the "company" that is doing it. It would be the same requirements to get through line with or with out TSA.

I just don't see these issues as DEM/GOP.
Its hard to know where to begin:

How about for starters this in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/02/AR2006110201810.html?nav=emailpage

Clips:

"The federal government disclosed details yesterday of a border-security program to screen all people who enter and leave the United States, create a terrorism risk profile of each individual and retain that information for up to 40 years.

The details, released in a notice published yesterday in the Federal Register, open a new window on the government's broad and often controversial data-collection effort directed at American and foreign travelers, which was implemented after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.. . . .

Civil libertarians expressed concern that risk profiling on such a scale would be intrusive and would not adequately protect citizens' privacy rights, issues similar to those that have surrounded systems profiling air passengers.

"They are assigning a suspicion level to millions of law-abiding citizens," said David Sobel, senior counsel of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "This is about as Kafkaesque as you can get." . . .

The notice did not spell out what will determine whether someone is high risk.

But documents and former officials say the system relies on hundreds of "rules" to factor a score for each individual, vehicle or piece of cargo.

According to yesterday's notice, the program is exempt from certain requirements of the Privacy Act of 1974 that allow, for instance, people to access records to determine "if the system contains a record pertaining to a particular individual" and "for the purpose of contesting the content of the record.""

Code:
The  Delta reference specifically refers to a program called CAPPS II. For  information on that, see EPIC's Passenger Profiling Page:
Code:
http://www.epic.org/privacy/airtravel/profiling.html

On HIPAA, before he left office, Clinton proposed great rules on medical information privacy, but Bush subverted them by trying to eliminate the requirement that health care providers obtain consent prior to making disclosures, allowing disclosures to pharmaceutical firms for marketing purposes, and eliminating the ability of persons whose rights are violated to bring a private right of action. National research has shown that Americans will avoid treatment, omit critical medical data and delay care if they are compelled to share sensitive medical data without strong privacy protections.

It would be fair to say that this administration has been the worst on privacy since the Nixon Administration, and that Allen has supported it all the way. To get more info on that, I would spend some time on the following website:

http://www.epic.org/

You will find information there about Bush’s record on privacy protection for firearm owners, as well as in numerous other areas.

The Donohue letter probably was from the NRA's lists: the RNC probably has the same lists, but they are also gathering data from a slew of other databases in a rather sophisticated way, using reams of data gathered from corporations, as well as public databases:

The Donkey is jealous.

Vote for Webb: rated A by both the NRA, and the Donkey!

Spank That Donkey

imported post

Donkey:

I am going to get you some hay to graze on, I am afraid you have wandered into the "poppy field", or maybe the peyote patch... visions of Pubs out to get our guns...:lol:

They're out to get our votes!

XD Owner

imported post

Longwatch - O'Donoghue got an A rating from the NRA.

U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

District 008

(R) THOMAS O'DONOGHUE A

(D) *JIM MORAN F

from http://www.nrapvf.org/Elections/Zip.aspx?zip5=22304&zip4=

ASolidly pro-gun candidate. An “A” incumbent who has supported NRA positions on key votes. May also describe a non-incumbent “A” candidate (one not represented with an *) who has previously held other office and cast consistent pro-gun votes, or an “A” candidate who hasn’t held office but has expressed strong support for NRA positions on Second Amendment issues. It should be noted that a “non-incumbent” candidate may have been awarded the “A” rating due solely to their responses on the NRA-PVF candidate survey.

FTrue enemy of gun owners’ rights. A vehement anti-gun candidate who always opposes gun owners’ rights and/or actively leads anti-gun legislative efforts, or sponsors anti-gun legislation.

I would be very surprised if O'Donoghue won, but he's worth voting for imho.

longwatch

imported post

Yeah but he got a D from GOA and I can't find any statements of his that would clue me into his position. Not to mention I hate being blown off when I offer someone help.

XD Owner

imported post

At this point in the campaign (only today, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday are left), I would call 703-558-8282 and ask about his 2A position and if you like what you hear, you could ask what you could do for him.

I am guessing he is seriously underfunded and therefore very understaffed. I'll check out GOA now. Thanks for the info.