• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heading To Washington

Erus

imported post

Greetings...

I stumbled upon this forum a couple of days ago while checking out the OC (and CC) rules for Washington state where my family and I will be moving to in about 6 months or so, and I want to first thank the posters here, (especially Lonnie) who have done so much to help make the ins and outs of the local laws more understandable. I am from Nevada, Las Vegas specifically, and am used to a fairly easy OC policy, notwithstanding the (seemingly universal) extra and often negative attention it gleans from SOME LEO's and more than most anti's and/or uneducated civilians. In the outlying counties and less "Vegas" areas of town, more people OC and far less people seem to have/show any concern about it one way or another.. Nevada started as a pretty loose frontier place and it is, for the most part outside of the "glitter gultch" corporate controlled "sin", the prevailing mentality is that a firearm is just another tool of a safe and responsible life. Heck I even remember in my youth during "Helldorado Days", a celebration of Nevada's "Cowboy feel" history, there were people on Fremont street shooting thier live six-guns into the air in an open public gathering. (ok that is STUPID, and is happily gone into history, but it helps set the scene for the area in some ways, I think)

When I bought my first handgun (Colt Officer's 4in .45) the day after I turned 21 (20 years ago) I began OC'ing it as a matter of course, most simply because I could, and I feel I should. Back then, in Vegas proper,it was still not uncommon for a cop to "suggest" I keep it locked in my trunk, or for bank SO's, etc., to get nervous and keep an extra eye on me, but it was very rare that I was asked to leave or not enter any place other than where we can't carry anyway, like court or federal bldgs... Now however with crime, gangs, general decay of society, and the ever increasing lack of parental responsibility that has led to more and more kids being found in possesion of firearms in/near schools and the like, the mood of the general public and the LEO's has gotten much less OC friendly.... But I suppose I digress...

We (My wife and I) intend to carry both OC and CC (as suits the situation) when we arrive in Washington, (Likely living around the Bremerton area, south-southeast-ish of the Sound/Seattle? area) and the facts and opinions I have seen here have gone a long way to helpus prepare for this. (I was especially befuddled about having to have a concealed permit in order to OC in my car, asin NV as long as it is NOT concealed, you can keep your loaded piece in the car) So, too late to make a long story short, I just wanted to thank you all for First, this forum, Second the hard and vigilant work you all seem to be doing to help those of us who care to keep our 2A Rights, and Third for all the information you have helped compile and disseminate for the rest of us.

I look forward to being an active member of the Forum, and again, Thank you all for the opportunity to be here.

Erus

Cue-Ball

imported post

Welcome in advance to the great state of Washington! It's always nice to have another Second Amendment advocate around. :) I'm sure you and your family will both like the area, though Western Washington is going to be one heck of a change of scenery compared to Nevada.

psychophipps

imported post

I second the welcome. :) The Bremerton area (about 1 hour 45 minutes from me)is pretty nice and you should find living there fairly painless once to get past the rain.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Erus

imported post

Thank you both!

I have been to Wa and the wife was raised near bremerton. The Scenery is one of the prime reasons for the move. That plus we want our kids to live in a clean, sane, "Natural" setting as oppossed to the grating, dirty, shallow, and just plain RUDE place where I was born and raised.

and rain? Ahhhhhh I LOVE rain. ;)

Erus

Erus

imported post

Thanks norahc!

We look forward to being among such right thinking Americans at least as much as we look forward to NOT being in the barren desert anymore. ;)

E