Thread: Issues with Fobus Holsters?

Post imported post

I ordered a fobus rotoholster for the P345 (strangely it can also be used for a SIG pro model as well, which I find odd because of the precise molding of fobus holsters- maybe this is why its a pain to get it in and out?), and its not going to well for me. It's hard to put it in, and near impossible to take it out. you have to push up on the front of the weapon with one hand, then pull it out with the other. I believe the retention is all in the trigger guard area. It snaps in when it goes into place, and snaps out when you pop it out. Is this normal for fobus holsters, to be so hard to get out? Do I just have to put it in and out a few times, maybe leave the weapon in the holster for a couple of days? Or should I invest in another holster?

Post imported post

There should be a adjustment screw on there to adjust he retention. Check and make sure that isn't screwed all the way down.

With open to holsters, you want good retention.

Matt

Post imported post

I don't know about the 'roto' holster but other Fobus holsters are designed that way. They must be pulled very firmly, almost like jerking it out and straight up. They are hard to get out and you are correct the retention is in the trigger guard. Loosen the retention screw some and practice drawing it will get easier. Or get a btter holster if it's not acceptable to you.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

i had the problem with the fobusholster i had for my 92d (wasn't a roto).i was told by customer service that they messed up a bit an did the tension to tight.i took a AA battery and stuck it in the trigger guard area and let it sit like that over night.next morning,it was alot better.did that for a couple of days and loosened up to the point where i didn't need two hands to un-holster my gun

Post imported post

I don't think roto's have an adjustment screw, but I think I'll try to stick something in the trigger guard like you said, thank you for the idea.

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    I don't think roto's have an adjustment screw, but I think I'll try to stick something in the trigger guard like you said, thank you for the idea.
    your welcome..glad i could be of assistence.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mercutio545, did you ever get that Fobus figured out or have you gone to another holster? I was thinking about a Fobus paddle onlyas a range holster.

Ihave the Galco Cop 3-Slot and it's a fine OC holster with level 2 retention and a thumb break.

The only holsters I've found for our p345's are BladeTech (Kydex), Fobus (Kydex) and that Galco that I have.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    I don't know about the 'roto' holster but other Fobus holsters are designed that way. They must be pulled very firmly, almost like jerking it out and straight up. They are hard to get out and you are correct the retention is in the trigger guard. Loosen the retention screw some and practice drawing it will get easier. Or get a btter holster if it's not acceptable to you.
    VAopencarry hit it right... FOBUS holsters are designed to be drawn from with a swift 'jerk' motion. Sometimes it helps to twist the gun slightly when drawing.

I never cared for that brand, myself, but I know of many who got used to the necessary draw motion.

molonlabetn

Post imported post

I haveFobuspaddleholsters for all my hand guns. The way I fixed the sticking (hard to draw is to spray silicone into them, let it dry and then work the gun in and out a few times. Suprisingly it doesn't take long to loosen it up.

Fred Franze

Post imported post

Had a Fobus, got a Blackhawk CQC Serpa. You should think about doing the same. If you try one, you will see why.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I would, but I e-mailed BladeTech and they have no intention of making one for the Ruger P345.

Post imported post

Well that sucks!

I would use it as a reason to buy another gun !

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You know, that's weird...it's almost as if you were reading my mind!!!

Post imported post

What about finish marring issues with the Fobus?

Post imported post

Smokewagon wrote:
    The Fobus paddle holster I have pretty much ruined the finish on one of my handguns. It rubbed the blueing off in spots.

Goliath

Post imported post

Smokewagon wrote:
    Glock and XD finishes are nearly indestructible, but beyond that, it is a huge concern. I ruined the slide finish on my H&K USPc from carrying it in a Fobus. Not sure if the SERPAs or other "plastic" holsters like the Galco Matrix models cause the same problem or not. I started a thread asking that question about the SERPA, but only got one response - from a 1911 carrier who said that he hadn't had a problem.

Post imported post

My SERPA has not caused any damage to my Glock. I would caution though that you MUST keep the holster and gun clean. Any dirt in their would be like sand paper, where leather might be more forgiving.

Also if the finish was rubbed off, the gun is not ruined. You can getit refinished, andsome after-market finishes are more durable than factory.

Post imported post

Thanks guys. The only Fobus I have seen is my buddy's and he carries a Glock in it. He's had the gun a long time and the finish wear is not the normal holster wear I have on my Ruger and Taurus. Ugly sctatches etc. I like the Fobus concept, but I believe I'll just stick with leather. I think a little holster wear gives a firearm character but those scratches look more like abuse. Here in west Texas keeping grit and the like out of a holster like that would be an all day job.:?

Post imported post

Bob:

I kept the fobus holster, and it's doing just fine. I have had it since october and I have NOT noticed any marring at all (the only place where it really rubs against the pistol that hard is the trigger guard). There IS still the issue of the retention, but you have to weigh the options: Yes, it's harder for you to draw the weapon when you need it the most, BUT it's also hard for somebody else to take it from you by suprise. That's why I like it for open carry. One of my idiot friends thought it would be funny to come up from behind me and try to get it out (with no luck), and he almost got an elbow to the chest before i knew it was him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    Bob:

I kept the fobus holster, and it's doing just fine. I have had it since october and I have NOT noticed any marring at all (the only place where it really rubs against the pistol that hard is the trigger guard). There IS still the issue of the retention, but you have to weigh the options: Yes, it's harder for you to draw the weapon when you need it the most, BUT it's also hard for somebody else to take it from you by suprise. That's why I like it for open carry. One of my idiot friends thought it would be funny to come up from behind me and try to get it out (with no luck), and he almost got an elbow to the chest before i knew it was him.
    Thanks, Merc. Igot the Fobus SG5 paddle holster (actually bought two by mistake) and have been using it a lot. Holstering and unholstering has really freed up the retention at the trigger guard. I read somewhere toput a AA battery in the trigger guard area overnight to help it out a bit and it worked nicely. Mine feels pretty good now.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I hope Fobus has improved their products alot. They sound kinda like the old one I had though. Just terrible to draw from and after watching the video of one being ripped rightoff someones hip turned me off of them for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEwwLnpD-8

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I hope Fobus has improved their products alot. They sound kinda like the old one I had though. Just terrible to draw from and after watching the video of one being ripped rightoff someones hip turned me off of them for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEwwLnpD-8

Andy, I saw that video and I figured I'd give it a try as a range holster, if nothing else. So far it seems pretty decent and is easing up. I don't know it they reinforced anything since that video, but I figure for $22 I won't lose much. Having only the Galco Cop 3 slot, I do like the convenience of the paddle.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Fair enough, I was going to suggest getting a Kydex from someone, but in a quick search I couldn't find anyone who makes one for the P345.